Gilligan's Out! (was 'Urgent SOS!')

Hi, all.

AnimalsTaiwan was called to assist in the relocation of a stray trapped in a man-made waterway in TsaiShan (near ShinJuang / toward Wugu). He has apparently been trapped there for six months, living on a small island in to the edge of the waterway.

The woman who called us has been throwing food down for him. She also called the fire brigade, who were reluctant to help. The waterway has vertical edges with no means of getting in and out - thank god it’s not a child who fell in there. The wall behind the island seems to be inaccessible.

I went to see the dog a few days ago, and he looks in good health; the danger is, the rainy season is kicking in, and the island is disappearing beneath fast-moving filthy water. With all the rain today, the water level rose about 30 cm and most of the island disappeared. If it rains any more, the dog will be swept away; with no place to rest, let alone climb out, I fear for the worst.

We need to get him out, and I can’t do it alone. I need at least a couple of game people who are prepared to spend a few hours trying to save a dog about to drown. It will probably be cold, wet, and frustrating work, but I promise we can get him out. If you can help me some time in the next couple of days (dry weather due for two days), at any time, please let me know.

I also need the following equipment - if you have any of it and I can borrow it, please let me know ASAP:

• a ladder (or two)
  • some waders (the kind you’d use for fishing in a river)
  • a dog-catching pole (truant, Jake destroyed the last one!)
  • a net of any description but strong enough to hold a 20 kg dog
  • rope (though I know where I can buy that)

The plan is to wade over to the island with a dog crate and try to herd the dog into the crate; or we simply throw the net over the dog and get him in the crate that way. Once in, I would need help hauling the crate and myself out of the waterway. If he runs, e can only swim for it, and he’d be easy to catch then.

If there’s anything else you can think of that would help, please let me know!

Thank you!

Sean

Are you going right now?

Sean, I’ll help. I’ve got a step ladder, two 75 foot climbing ropes and a good size duffle bag that could sub for a net to put him in to haul him out.

No waders but I’ve waterproof pants I can tuck tightly into my boots. Just promise you’ll hose me off afterwards.

I can go tomorrow after 3:30.

I finish work at 4.00pm…can go then. I will swim, but I’m worried about getting stuck in the mud.

Sean, do you have the number of that reporter who interviewed you the other day? Maybe some fast late breaking news would get a fire lit under the firedudes asses.

BTW, that dog looks BIG. Big dogs have big teeth. Watch out.

Battery9 and MuchaMan, thank you!

Mucha Man, I canpick you up first then go get Battery9, then head out there. I apologise now for the smell in the van!

jdsmith, don’t worry - he will want to get away from me, so he should head into the crate or try to hide in the grass, where I can net him. The trick is to have something between you and the dog. Once we net him I can pacify him so that we can carry him if need be.

Anyone else like to come help out / watch me get wet and dirty?

Anyone with a video camera…?:slight_smile:

I’d go Sean, but the wife is away and I have to be at the school all afternoon and evening.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Battery9 and MuchaMan, thank you!

Muzha Man, I canpick you up first then go get Battery9, then head out there. I apologise now for the smell in the van!

jdsmith, don’t worry - he will want to get away from me, so he should head into the crate or try to hide in the grass, where I can net him. The trick is to have something between you and the dog. Once we net him I can pacify him so that we can carry him if need be.

Anyone else like to come help out / watch me get wet and dirty?[/quote]

Okay. Do you know where the Wellcome is on Muxing Road Section Two? Not the Wellcome by the MRT station but further down the road toward Xindian? There is a community centre above it with a huge poster of a guy playing dharma drums. I will be out front at 3:30.

Is this in Tai-ling road?

jdsmith, I did tell the reporter already - I’ll let him know what’s happening tomorrow, too.

Mucha Man, I know that one - I’ll be there. Thanks again!

Battery9, it’s just off the road number 1 (not freeway) that goes from ShinJuang to Taoyuan. I think it’s also called Chung Shan Road (Sec. 2). Just off that is Wen Cheng Road, and that leads to a bridge over the waterway.

I think we can do it with three if we plan well enough. I have sedatives for the dog, but I think he won’t take food from us, plus it could be dangerous if he falls asleep in the water.

Thanks again, guys. I’ll check on him again on the way to work tomorrow morning. I just hope the rain holds off tonight.

My number: 0920 620 109.

Sean

I’m bloody tiny though…and skinny. So more people would help! I’ve done wonders when I get angry though…so hopefully something will make me mad so I can run across the water and throw him over:)

So when exactly are you guys going?

Tuesday March 28th in the late afternoon. Is this correct?

I can meet you at the corner of Dunhua S rd sec 2 and Siwei Rd Lane 154. I may be a bit late (5 - 10 mins) because i need to pick up kids at the school across the road from mine. But I can leave before 4 and hopefully be back at 4pm.

How deep is the water? I’m so excited…a cool way to spend my birthday!

should we wear our AnimalsTaiwan T-shirts and try to sell cookies in the process? :stuck_out_tongue:

Mordeth, yes -that’s right. And you’re welocome to join!

Battery9, no problem. And the water is about a foot deep now, but there is a shallow (fast) section that I will walk across.

I put some food down for the dog on this side of the waterway, on a bank where he usually eats. I’ll see if he’s taken it tomorrow morning.

So, Mordeth, are you in?

p.s. the dog needs a name - any suggestions? How about Moses? :slight_smile:

Noooo Moses could create a path through an ocean! This pooch cant find his way through a foot of water:) Maybe Jonah, Noah or Gilligan! haha

My vote goes for Gilligan full stop. :slight_smile:

Best,

bobepine

Look, I saw him first!

OK, OK … Gilligan it is, then. :unamused:

wait until we meet him. Maybe he will be like ‘Oooh no, some foreigners are in trouble in the water’ and then parts the water…you never know you know. I worked in Taishan for 3 years…dogs and Taishan can create strangeeeee sights!

Please, no one call the media on this. I am getting time off work to go to a physio appointment.