Gilligan's Out! (was 'Urgent SOS!')

Ha! OK.

We only needed them to get the fire brigade involved, but we may only need them once I get stuck now, and they can’t say no to pulling me out, can they? :astonished:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Ha! OK.

We only needed them to get the fire brigade involved, but we may only need them once I get stuck now, and they can’t say no to pulling me out, can they? :astonished:[/quote]

I’ve got ropes and a harness for you. You won’t get stuck.

I used to tell my adult students that one American dog’s life was worth more than three Taiwanese men’s lives. :astonished: Which of course they didn’t like hearing. I’d respond with you don’t believe me? Remember those three men who were trapped on a small island in the middle of a rising river? For hours they were there with the media watching…FOR HOURS…and eventually the water rose enough and all three men died…and no Taiwanese people helped them.

Now imagine what happens with a lone dog in America if it were trapped in the same situation…you’d have military frog men in scuba diving suits dropping out of helicopters to rescue it and a team of paramedics waiting on the side for when it gets out.

P.S. I don’t have a clue where you guys are…but I’ll pass this thread along to some of my Taipei friends ( I have…two :blush: ) .

What happened with the dog?

Well, we managed to get to his island, and he ran away as soon as he realised we were near. He just kept on running down the waterway until we couldn’t see him any more (the water was very shallow today).

So, we now know how he will react when we are close. So, we have just ordered a dog trap from the States to be sent by express delivery, and we will place the trap on the highest part of his island. It seems to be the best way to get him. We couldn’t get close enough to net or noose him, and he is too quick for a blowdart tranquiliser. He is too fearful to take baited food, and it would be very difficult to corner him or corral him into the cage. So, trapping it is.

Hopefully Gilligan will return to his island once he realises the scary foreigners have left. I will keep checking on him while we await delivery of the trap. Should the water rise again, we will try to net or noose him, as it would be much for difficult for him to make a getaway through deeper water.

I will keep you updated and will of course let you know as soon as we get him. He seems to be in good health, but he is in great danger once the water level rises again; there really is no way out for anyone caught down there.

Big, big thanks to birthday girl Battery9, who insisted on snorkeling across the waterwayin full diving gear, despite it being stinky and black as hell … and only about three inches deep. :loco: And another huge thanks to AnimalsTaiwan’s newest team member, Mucha Man, who provided much needed back-up support and most of the equipment.

We will get Gilligan. Today was good for sussing out the best way to get him. In a couple of days time, we can put the latest plan into action and get that castaway away!

Cheers!

Sean

Have you shown any Hulk-like symptoms yet Stray? Yeah Muzha Man had the most dangerous job…that road is hectic…no wonder the dog is so fearful!

I’m just so glad I got a chance to ski on my birthday…felt like I was in Canada :laughing:

:frowning:

I was all set on reading a “We captured him” story. Better luck next time!

Oh, its terrible you couldn’t get him. I’m sure he won’t stray too far from the island, so you can be sure to get him next time. On the plus side, he seems to have a lot of stamina, right? (Gilligan, I mean; not Sean.)

I was really surprised at how healthy he looked…living like that. Paws in the water the whole time…It’s a huge area, and he had such a brilliant stride. So fast I couldn’t even see him running…speed of light I promise!!!

[/img]

The picture is very dark. I’m assuming that the said island is on the left and Gilligan has to cross the river to get away. How did he do it if he was trapped on the island? Was he forced to swim away because he was scared? In that case I doubt he’d swim back. If that’s not what happened, I assume he’s stuck on one side of he river with a concrete wall he can’t climb so how far can he really go? Obviously you did the best you could to asses the dog and try to catch him but the posts in this thread are really not explicit. Makes you guys look like shitty dog catchers. hehe :wink: Just kidding, I’d say that 9 out of ten dogs I’ve ever tried to catch just ran away.

Look at it this way, if he did run away, you did him a favor to force him off his island while the water was low. Hopefully you guys can help him out even more, fingers crossed and good for you guys for trying to help the pooch.

bobepine

Hey,

The water was very shallow (couple of inches deep) - we will try again when the water is deeper and he can’t move so fast - still trying to get those traps, but the U.S. company won’t ship internationally - trying Aussie companies now.

He actually ran all the way off into the background of the picture above. His island is on the right. We have to enter the waterway from the left.

We’ll get him; this is nothing unusual.

Watch this space! :wink:

[quote=“bobepine”]The picture is very dark. I’m assuming that the said island is on the left and Gilligan has to cross the river to get away. How did he do it if he was trapped on the island? Was he forced to swim away because he was scared? In that case I doubt he’d swim back. If that’s not what happened, I assume he’s stuck on one side of he river with a concrete wall he can’t climb so how far can he really go? Obviously you did the best you could to asses the dog and try to catch him but the posts in this thread are really not explicit. Makes you guys look like shitty dog catchers. hehe :wink: Just kidding, I’d say that 9 out of ten dogs I’ve ever tried to catch just ran away.

Look at it this way, if he did run away, you did him a favor to force him off his island while the water was low. Hopefully you guys can help him out even more, fingers crossed and good for you guys for trying to help the pooch.

bobepine[/quote]

The water level was only a few inches in most places so it wasn’t hard for him to run. And that channel goes on for miles with many other pockets of vegetation growing on the sides.

Bob are you dyslexic? The island is on the right of the pic.

I know where this is. It amazes me that a) any living thing can grow in that filthy water, and b) the dog’s feet are rotting off from being in that filthy water.

The water was VERY shallow…but it was so slippery…I went barefoot and at one point I actually used two sticks to glide across the surface. Must have looked very funny! The mud that the 'island ’ is made of is pitch black and disgusting…we sunk in quite a bit.

I can’t believe his paws aren’t rotten either! I had to put my legs in Dettol afterwards. Yup, he ran off into the sunset…

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Bob are you dyslexic? The island is on the right of the pic.[/quote]If you look closely in the dark left/lower corner of the picture, you can see the leaves of a tree. I thought maybe that’s where the island was.

[quote=“jd”]I know where this is. It amazes me that a) any living thing can grow in that filthy water, and b) the dog’s feet are rotting off from being in that filthy water.[/quote]I bet it probably has some kind of affection due to it. It can’t be healthy.

To think that B9 insisted on snorkeling in there. :noway: :laughing:

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”] …I’d say that 9 out of ten dogs I’ve ever tried to catch just ran away.

bobepine[/quote]

I’m confused. When did this thread start being about bobepine’s love life? :s

oh I was just being dramatic! Wanted good pics to remember my birthday…so dressed up in my second skin, bikini bottoms, huge black motorcycle goggles…it was funny. Or at least I was amused…never ended up taking pics! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“bobepine”] …I’d say that 9 out of ten dogs I’ve ever tried to catch just ran away.

bobepine[/quote]

I’m confused. When did this thread start being about bobepine’s love life? :s[/quote]Not everyone is blessed like you are when it comes to…You know… :raspberry:

bobepine

How deep is the drop? Would it be possible to nail together boards and make a ramp for the dog to rescue himself?

I’m convinced the dog can leave on his own at any time. The wall is only 5-6 feet high in places. But Stray Dog wants to rescue him whether he wants to be there or not. Bloody do-gooder. :wink:

Battery9, yes you did look very lovely out there in your birthday suit, er, birthday special clothing. :slight_smile: