Gilligan's Out! (was 'Urgent SOS!')

If I was in my birthday suit the dog would still be running…propably be in Kenting by now!

It’s about seven feet or more. There are a few reasons why I didn’t want to do that. First, he is very nervous, and, even if he was brave enough to climb out, he would panic on that busy road, and that could be nasty. Second, he may only decide to climb out if the island became flooded, but then he may not be in a position to reach the platform. And lastly, I am crap at nailing boards together. :wink:

He has been in there for six months, and I really can’t leave it till the river floods to find out whether he would leave or not (though, IMO, he couldn’t climb out - Mucha Man and I disagree on that one. He was just disappointed that the walls weren’t so high that we would have to abseil down. :raspberry: :wink: ).

If it has been running around in water for so long, it does need medical attention. Soak that cut in disinfectant again Sean…you never know you know…

Any update?

Update: :wink:

We have ordered the humane dog traps (cages with spring doors) and they have been shipped. We have been incredibly lucky in that there has been little rain lately, so we haven’t been forced to catch Gilligan by other more dangerous means (tranquilizers).

The very day the traps arrive, I will head down there again, probably with the help of Battery9, havalina, and maybe even Muzha Man, to set the trap. We will instruct the woman who called us to stop feeding him, so he will have no choice but to enter the trap.

We will need people to act as watchdogs, as these traps tend to get stolen within hours of being placed - a sad reality.

The traps should be here tomorrow or soon after - I’ll let you all know how it goes. With pics of course.

Many thanks for the concern.

Sean

just hypnotize me so that I think the cage is a TV and I will sit there motionless for hours on end!!! Reckon people will stop and try to buy beetlenuts from me? Maybe I can make some money for AT!

Hey guys, you might want to go check and see if the dog is still there. There was a goodly amount of rain today out this way. Much more than the last time. :frowning:

Stray dog already went there today. The dog has moved further down…he’s going again tomorrow. Seeing that there is so much rain, he’s going to put some sleeping pills in food and wait for the dog to become sleepy, then try and catch it.

Unfortunately my boss wants to see me after work tomorrow…I told him I have other plans, but his wife just had a kid and its one of those one month at home thingies so I haven’t seen my boss in 3 weeks…

if anyone wants to help Sean, pls give him a call. Thanks!

Yes, Gilligan has deserted his isle

For a much smaller one a kilometer or so downstream:

He was looking very cold, scared, and weak. He tried several times to wade away from the island, but the water is now too deep and there is nowhere else to go, as you can see from the last picture above and the video HERE. The boy is definitely in trouble, and he knows it.

I threw about half a bag of dog food onto his island and he immediately began hunting down the pellets and devouring them. He is very hungry. He has probably not been fed since we last saw him.

It looks like we’ll have to put Gilligan out with sleeping tablets hidden in dog food, then climb down from the bridge on the right. The water is pretty fast under the bridge, and it’s at least thigh deep. It’ll also be pretty tricky getting out :s . But, all in all, I think we are in a better position than before to perform the rescue - but it’s also a more precarious location for Gilligan in the meantime.

Muzha Man is going to come and help me. We have ropes and a ladder and sleeping tablets. Let’s hope Gilligan takes the food again.

I’ll let you know how it goes - fingers crossed for Gilligan!

Good luck guys! You ROCK! :bravo: :notworthy:

Poor little feller! He looks so lonely over there, I want to donate one of my dogs to be his pal. Please, please, PLEASE let me donate a friend for him…

Fantastic work you guys are doing. :notworthy:

Well, when Mucha Man and I arrived at Gilligan’s new island, this is what we found:

A deserted island.

We checked out the only place Gilligan could have gone - back upstream, on the other side of the bridge.

But all we found were pawprints.

Then we spotted something rather interesting.

Some of the locals had spotted Gilligan in this new part of the river and decided to help him out. They tore down an advertising billboard and used it as a ladder for the dog to take from a new island - which had appeared after the water had resided - and the bridge.

Apparently, Gilligan knew a good thing when he saw it and climbed out to freedom! :slight_smile: Unlike his namesake, he has escaped his island prison - maybe we should have called him Crusoe.

Mucha Man and I were a little disappointed that we didn’t get to be the ones to help him out, and it would have been good to get him checked over by a vet and vaccinated, but we were both over the moon that he had finally escaped after six months of being marooned.

We were going to make up a story about how we bravely threw ourselves into the water and risked serious injury or even drowning before capturing Gilligan and carrying him to safety, but we couldn’t get our story straight - we argued over who should be the one to do the daring deed. :wink:

Well, we didn’t get to see his escape, but we’re so glad that he got out before the rainy season started. It seems our scaring him into heading off downstream did have a positive effect, as he found himself in sight of some very resourceful locals. Let’s hope Gilligan, like so many other dogs in that area, now finds friendly warehouse manager to take care of him.

Thanks for all your interest and offers of help - so glad to bring you news of a happy ending. :bravo:

There was you with your imported traps, wading boots, nets, GPS, SCUBA gear, helicopters, tranquilizer darts and the planning of a bank heist. And it just needed the Taiwanese inginuity of an old piece of wood. :roflmao:

Now that’s mean! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bobepine

Double post because of the “Tag Error” bug.

bobepine

:raspberry:

We needed to trap or tranquilize him so we could get him to a vet!

You’d better hope I’m not marking your quiz paper, BFM. :fume:

I think you guys still did a great job, and how about a hand for the locals, showing that there are many people out there in Taiwan who do care about animals!

My thoughts exactly - very encouraging to see! :bravo:

The same solution was suggested back in March by yellowdog. Anyway, good that he got out.

but we really needed to catch him to have his paws looked at. He must have a lot of damage!