Give me some good diversification ideas for stocks or other asset classes

Impressive, you still find time to post here, while fighting in the Covid threads… :laughing:

1 Like

For sanity sake go and look at the graph of Alphabet for 2021

1 Like

FWIW, I just bought TSM and more GDX in my wife’s Roth, and TY, which is a CEF that tracks the S&P500 and comes now at an 11% discount.

2 Likes

I am going to ride Google (and Facebook) for a while yet. They have both been double baggers for me; hopefully triple soon enough!

1 Like

My job in wealth management turns out very different than I imagined. I thought I would be picking stocks and executing big trades.

Nope…I just suggest boring portfolios with few individual positions and low turnovers.

I have noticed something interesting, having no China exposures is becoming more common for people who care about ESG investing.

1 Like

which is?

Environmental, social and corporate governance.

Basically, socially responsible investing. EU laws now require firms to ask for clients views on the topic. We’ve gathered a lot of data, surprisingly a lot of people had issues with China.

I’m boring. Just buying funds…
S,&P
Us total market
Us dividend funds
Us incl world fund
Split evenly

Won’t touch anything China, since they have shown they can and will intervene whenever they want in the ‘free market’

3 Likes

Why surprising? lol

Because investors were willing to overlook chinas many issues for gains in the past. I’ve coming into more and more clients that are explicit about not having China exposures.

I imagine those in the know think it’s not an optics thing, it’s a train wreck correction on the way.

Actually, I told my boss we should get out of our China tech exposures. I told the whole firm when I started that there are way more risks that you couldn’t measure with financial analysis at this moment. They didn’t listen. Any large tech firms and anything to do with infrastructure is not a good idea right now.

Our biggest losers this year has been China tech stocks.

Serves ya right! :laughing:

No faith in the centralized top down economy? Say it ain’t so.

But at least you’re getting paid!

Soros is out.

Billionaire investor George Soros warned that BlackRock is making a “tragic mistake” by pouring billions of dollars into China.
The philanthropist, who made $1 billion betting against the British pound, said clients of the world’s largest asset manager are likely to lose money and the national security interests of the U.S. and other democracies will be damaged.

1 Like

What’s scary to me is if China takes BlackRock investments down, it could take down the entire market if they get margin called and need to cash out. Kind of how that bill Hwang guy caused a Viacom crash but on a larger scale. On a macro scale it’s bad since the USA wouldn’t stand by without taking financial action which in itself could being the global market down

There might be more to this . The Blackrock CEO may want Chinese mutual.fund investors more then anything else. So he has to say the right things go get access along with promote investing locally, but only to a degree. Chinese would be eager to invest in Blacrocks funds if it gives them overseas exposure . The real prize is hoovering up local investors Am I wrong ?

We shall see. I wonder if the inevitable domestic economic recession/debt bomb they’ve never had is hitting. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

relevant again

1 Like

Yeah it’s All part of the fun. I barely break a sweat these days about it. Better to not be leveraged and play the long game…I tried to snag some extra cheap ethereum but I failed , it didn’t accept my transaction.

But…