Give me some good diversification ideas for stocks or other asset classes

:+1:

I’ve steered far clear or FB and the Meta stuff sounded as dumb as the whole NFT thing, even more so.

Haha, no one wants to run around with goggles on.

The stock market isn’t fun anymore :laughing: :face_holding_back_tears:

Why? You can get exactly the same stocks for 30% off!

4 Likes

Yeah but it’s more fun when my stocks just make me money and more stocks. 100% off.

1 Like

Buy (within your means) when others are fearful. This looks like a nice buy in price, probably see a bit of a rebound.
I have seen some articles on the FB metaverse, its not quite there yet but it is getting there sooner than later.

2 Likes

What I like right now:

1. Gold & Silver miners - these are bombed out to historic levels, at a time when we’re having massive inflation and money printing. The miners are so cheap that even if the S&P500 takes a dump to 3250, 3000 or 2600, miners won’t get hurt too bad, because they’re already priced for those levels. Take advantage. GDXJ, GOAU and SILJ if you don’t want to buy individual stocks.

2. Roblox - this is down from a high of $141 a year ago after the IPO, to as low as $21. I bought at $25 and will buy more if it goes back to there. Forget about the metaverse crap that drove it to $140 - think of it as a game company that has taken over the 8-14 age group, it’s literally the only game many kids play, at least in the US, not sure about globally. I wouldn’t buy at $45, wait for a return to under $30 when the bear market rally in tech stocks fizzles.

3. Emerging markets - the West is in full on self destruct mode, purging all it’s energy and commodity investment. if you think we’re moving into another commodity super cycle, emerging markets (countries like Brazil who produce a lot of the stuff) will outperform the Western debt-based economies. Plus the EM stocks have been going down for years. That’s when you want to buy. VWO is a decent option.

I bought my first ever Ford after moving to Taiwan. Must be a sign.

More on Meta

S&P has gone up a little since, 3934.

Looking at the chart this year it’s the choppiest for over 5 years at least.
I still feel a reversion to the mean is more likely than anything. But a lot of big stocks have been trashed so you don’t really see the full picture just looking at the index either.

I caught a glimmer of a headline today suggesting a golden cross. so who knows? I’m not leaving energy for a decade at least.

pretty much every major investment bank / etc is predicting a recession in 2023, with market lows in the early-middle of the year, and then a rally at the end. We’ll see…

My plan is to sell more before EOY this year, taking losses where I can to save on taxes, and then buy back into leveraged funds after we tank some more next year.

Google HFEA / HEDGEFUNDIE

it’s been a good run. I have covered calls on all my energy positions. take the premium, and hopefully get called out. if not, rinse and repeat. sold 500 shares of xom during the June pop,will see how the rest goes. haven’t even been following my baytex and cvx.

1 Like

CVX and my pipeline guys are putting billions into the system. We good there.

Well… the problem with oil is traditionally cyclical - over investment when oil prices are high and everyone thinks the good times are going to be good forever, and then acting like the end of the world when it’s low. It’s been good times because they’ve been disciplined.

(but I’m in at less than $35/share, and sold covered calls at $100 / $105 for $6 / $10 premiums,.so if I’m wrong, I’m still good .;))

I’m fine, as a dividend investor at heart.

On the non dividend SPAC EV chaos of covid summer, I still own VLTA, the EV charger company.

They’re up 10% off all time lows. I’m hoping this has a little something to do with it.

This is cool. Seems relevant here:

2 Likes