Give me some good diversification ideas for stocks or other asset classes

Just the idea of travel as a service. I also saw the CitizenM hotel chain mentioned where you pay a monthly fee.

I like it a lot. Not so much as an investor but a user. Too bad it’s only in the EU.

I’m trying to think how things will operate in the future. I don’t think I’ll be doing half as much international business travel. Costs too much and time consuming . But who knows.
And if people aren’t working in central offices where will they work during the week. What services they might want.
I’m getting a water cooler for my home office and have been kitting it out steadily . Never thought I would do that.

1 Like

Right, and those planes aren’t going to just sit there. There may be another revitalization plan for the industry, like the low cost fliers of the 1980s. More people more travel. Just not for work.

1 Like

Yep. Maybe working in your favourite ski resort or trooical island or rural village.
Here it is . A chain of fully kitted out hotels/aparthotels in cheap but scenic spots. You buy an annual pass and go to a new place whenever you like.

A traveling/tourism gig economy akin to backpacking engrish teachers.

1 Like

Boom, hand me the money Peter Thiel and don’t expect payback for ten years at least.

1 Like

Let’s think two grades above that. We are talking cocktail bars on the beach thrown in. Thursday night music sessions. Yoga Mon Weds Fri.
But basically opposite of the super expensive WeWork plan that just drown themselves In debt and too expensive and too urbanised for joe blogs worker I.e. me.
If the yoga and the cocktail bar costs too much we will ditch them Ryanair style.

It would be interesting to see clients and employees taking advantage of the same system.

1 Like

How ?

Clients use the program to fly cheap and easy to vacate; employees do a week/month or too at one locale, then jump on to the next spot. Like migrant workers.

As a way to attract employees to work for cheap like hostels. Could be interesting.

1 Like

The remote work will save travel thesis is overblown.

1. Timezones matter (a lot). Even in companies that keep WFH, you’ll see restrictions on where people can work from because being accessible during standard business hours is critical for many roles.

2. Nomad-style working is difficult for most people to pull off. It looks amazing on paper but the reality is that moving regularly is a job in itself and can take up a lot of time and energy. This can impact work performance and I don’t think many companies will embrace nomadism, even if they support WFH.

3. Many companies will enact cost of living adjustments so that even people who can work remotely will face salary reductions when they contemplate moving from high COL areas to low COL countries.

4. There are tons of legal issues with remote working. On an individual level, work restrictions and taxes can lead to nightmare situations. On a corporate level, having employees working in other countries can have huge legal implications . In worst case scenarios, companies can find themselves liable for taxes and subject to laws in jurisdictions they’d never want to have exposure to.

5. Internet connectivity can be spotty, even in places that promote themselves as being ideal for remote work.

6. Lots of workers don’t have the discipline to perform well outside of an office environment. Sad but true.

7. Lots of people rely on work for social connection.

8. If you have a family, a nomad lifestyle is probably a non-starter.

2 Likes

Anyone holding CCIV?

This could be an exciting Monday.

Oh yeah

I bought SNPR, the same SPAC that gave us the HYLN IPO. SNPR is at an all time high and hopefully they will announce something soon. Could be another ev car…even though I’d prefer a modular nuke generators.

2 Likes

Bubble? What bubble?

2 Likes

Closely watching this one for a couple of weeks already. If Lucid can scale production, it will go to the moon.

1 Like

I’ve made some coin from a few SPACs in the past year but always remember that the name of the game for SPACs is fees and free shares for Wall Street banks. The SPACs are effectively risk free for them.

With so much money money raised, it’s creating the type of too much money chasing too few deals environment where valuations don’t make any sense.

The second article mentions Richard Branson, I think he’s behind VGAC, another SPAC worth a look I guess, but not sure what plans they have really.

I think Lucid looks solid, SPAC or not.

I have mentioned Tencent a couple of times in this thread, not sure if anybody bought it (I think @Brianjones did). Since Jan 1, it has added 232 billion USD (=~ 1x Netflix) to its market cap and is now worth close to a trillion USD.