Give me some good diversification ideas for stocks or other asset classes

Ooops

Get neked.

This is getting bizarre now…

So Citadel has the power to shut down Fastly to shut down social media sites so that the Reddit crowd cannot communicate. Counter punch, Reddit crowd comments on Youtube’s second most popular video instead…

2 Likes

Been stalking this post for about a year now. (Creek… creek… creek…)
Recommending HYLN.
Just my humble opinion…

My worst performing stock. Any squeeze opportunity, like in WKHS…? ha ha

The multiplying of meme stocks is poison for AMC, it seems.

When, when, did Wendy happen?

Let’s see what happens today.

1 Like

The easy money was made last year.

:clown_face: to investigate :circus_tent:

The suits are all in cahoots…

AMC has been suspiciously, slowly, side winding downhill this week. It’s almost like they want to make the apes lose interested in the stock, make some other stocks more appealing, get the price down to some bearable level and then buy the shorts back with no one noticing.

Nice try, hedgies, you going down.

I am hodling my remaining shares just for fun, I might even add some while we are in the forties. :kissing_heart:

I know…boring. But, chaching.

We got a runner…

Anyone holding MTP?

Up 80% pre-market right now.

This has been magnified a lot by the Didi IPO, but been pondering this topic the last month or so.

Does anyone actually feel comfortable investing in Chinese companies?

At first I wouldn’t touch them out of principle, but it seems there’s so much more obviously wrong with things there recently, and much more that can go wrong.

On one hand, China is sometimes happy to put their thumb on the scale for their domestic companies, making life hell for foreign companies trying to penetrate China, without kicking them out. This involves a lot of regulation demands, but lately seems to also bleed into manufacturing of media stories to put down the competition, much more often.

But the Didi IPO really says a lot more. Cracking down on their own companies, I guess because they truly fear the power of tech companies there.

These are the companies (tech) that can provide a lot of growth for China’s GDP, but priority right now seems entirely on control. I feel it speaks a lot to CCP motivations right now, which seem disproportionately rooted in fear of loss of control. They must be really scared to be undercutting their own like this…began with Jack Ma’s ‘retirement’ obviously from some overt cheekiness on his part, but now anything short of complete compliance, even from ‘hints’, and they seem to be ready to go after you.

From what I understand, CCP told Didi to ‘slow their role’ prior to IPO in some regard, Didi didn’t immediately bend over in every way possible, now they come hard and fast for them.

They used to be better at the illusion of competition as long as you weren’t being Jack Ma level cheeky, now companies there just breathe the wrong way and it’s lights out.

I think this is the beginning of people moving their money out of Chinese companies and putting it somewhere else. Only seems to be getting less stable.

john Tamny wrote about China not being anything but Capitalist this week, and used that IPO to make his case.

Last week China’s ruling communist party turned 100. This happened in the same week that Didi, the Uber of China, went public with a valuation of over $60 billion. It’s a reminder that China’s no longer communist in any real economic sense, but it’s still a country at odds with itself. Hong Kong is a venerated symbol of free markets and freedom around the world, which is why China risks so much by erasing “one country, two systems.” Whatever China does, hopefully the U.S. doesn’t harm its own people and U.S. businesses by engaging in economic warfare over Hong Kong, and also over treatment of the Uighurs. If anything, the U.S. should open itself up more. The liberal country always wins economically, plus the more the Chinese are reliant on American consumption, the more that Americans can use their consumptive heft to shame China about Hong Kong, Urumqi, and other human rights abuses

I don’t and won’t. No accountability and little transparency and oh yeah, they released covid on the world and covered it up.

A bit more. Marco Rubio is on it.

https://www.ft.com/content/b82d5307-256c-4791-9847-67ad9f6f689c?segmentId=b385c2ad-87ed-d8ff-aaec-0f8435cd42d9

2 Likes

I agree with what the US strategy should be, regarding Chinese reliance on US consumption and leverage that can be attained, but what I’m seeing from China lately is a pivot of sorts on their approach to capitalism. It might be a very stupid pivot, stemming from a control-hungry bear, but I feel it’s happening.

As I mentioned, they seem to be prioritizing control over their companies, over the economic prosperity of them, which again is an indicator of fear/focus on control over economics.

I think they seem less and less concerned about the illusion of international competition, because perhaps Xi has an eye on a Chinese shift to economic self-sustainability in the future.

Which makes sense in the context of, exert total control now, not caring about international perception, because down the road Xi figures on sustainability and only needing his own citizens to believe there’s a fair playing field.

So going forward, I don’t think anyone’s going to be an a position of confidence to own Chinese stocks, because the threshold on the clamps went from speaking out to not dotting i’s.

And then there’s the other good reasons to not invest in them. I could see a shift of sorts of money moving out of Chinese companies and into investment of their major international competitors. In addition to an incoming consumer shift I’ve mentioned before, of actively avoiding Chinese products when presented with a reasonable choice.

He’ll need more than that to make it work. China has zero value added products that I can name offhand. Until that happens, they produce crap and buy foreign.

I own some BIDU :slight_smile:

I’m not saying he’s smart. I think part of the problem now is Xi is power hungry, and focused on that, and with that desire comes fear, fear of loss of control. And he may start implementing economic policy that makes more sense in the realm of his own perceived self-preservation. Bitcoin ban falls in there too.

He seems to me to be looking more inward than outward, starting to turtle China and it’s economy in some ways. I think he wants a ‘Planet China’ of sorts, a true bubble. I don’t think he knows how to do it though, and the rush for control is in itself an admission he doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Just saw this bit of news:

https://archive.ph/2021.07.07-075355/https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-07/china-mulls-closing-loophole-used-by-tech-giants-for-u-s-ipos

Regulators in Beijing are planning rule changes that would allow them to block a Chinese company from listing overseas even if the unit selling shares is incorporated outside China, closing a loophole long-used by the country’s technology giants, according to people familiar with the matter.

The China Securities Regulatory Commission is leading efforts to revise rules on overseas listings that have been in effect since 1994 and make no reference to companies registered in places like the Cayman Islands, said the people, asking not to be identified discussing a private matter. Once amended, the rules would require firms structured using the so-called Variable Interest Entity model to seek approval before going public in Hong Kong or the U.S., the people said.

The proposed change is the first indication of how Beijing plans to implement a crackdown on overseas listings flagged by the country’s State Council on Tuesday. Closer oversight would plug a gap that’s been used for two decades by technology giants from Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. to Tencent Holdings Ltd. to attract foreign capital and list offshore, potentially thwarting the ambitions of firms like ByteDance Ltd. contemplating going public outside the mainland.

he’s the leader of the most populace country in history and has elevated the status of the country in undeniably positive ways…at least economically. Let’s say it’s fair to say he’s smart.

Here’s an interesting piece about the young neo-capitalist minimals in China:

I tend to look at it like this…he’s in a lifetime position of absolute power, which he clearly pursued.

Imagine a car enthusiast, with unlimited funds, no speed limit, and mountain roads with no guardrails. It’s only a matter of time before that driver and his 2000HP supercar takes a curve too fast.

So no matter how smart someone is, I think a position of absolute power inevitably results in self-serving decisions, that are not smart in the context of serving a nation’s best interests.

Another recent indicator to me was the 1 child policy going all the way to 3. Falls under the same theme of him not being totally in control of that car.

Early at this point, but I believe there are indicators he’s making more and more inward, self-preserving decisions, because the physics of absolute power are inevitable. He’s starting to drive his car too fast, faster than the speed of the typical CCP car, and rubber is starting to peel.

Taking it back around to economics, and assuming the physics of absolute power, there’s no reason he won’t continue to err on the side of self-preservation over commerce if there’s even an iota of perceived threat there to his position of complete control.

Again, it’s not only CCP control, it’s his own personal desire for control on top of it that’s likely to drive his decisions more and more.

Which isn’t to say he’s going to target all Chinese companies and be overtly damaging to them, or his own economy significantly, at least in the short term. But he’s creating a lot more uncertainty in the confidence of international investors already through actions in this past year.

I think he’s not correcting course, that uncertainty will grow to a level of discomfort investors don’t want to bear, and a lot more international money gets pulled out of Chinese companies.

Which of course means Chinese companies on foreign exchanges take a dump. They’re sort of already showing signals now, and in the future I’m sure he’ll do another thing to make it hard for investors to feel secure, at which point we may see a more violent market reaction.

1 Like

Here’s 2 short, but good segments I highly recommend watching, especially if anyone is curious about future investment in Chinese companies.

The second one even stars the Mooch. :sweat_smile: I agree with most of the interviewees takes in both segments, and especially the Mooch’s take on direction.

Some of us use it to transfer funds. It went public in London yesterday.

1 Like