Give me some good diversification ideas for stocks or other asset classes

Chinese stocks got fairly crushed yesterday, not even mentioning Didi which is dead money, maybe heading to something worse, like de-listing.

Problem I see with stocks like JD for example, even if they get undervalued with these pullbacks, they’re going to struggle to gain momentum to the upside. They may not be at risk at all but the market is cooled on China now, again why bother?

Nio is the only one I could see being resilient because CCP is determined to prop them up long term, as a symbol of competitive tech strength.

I’m totally out on chinese companies again, just find the dynamics interesting to follow.

I bought Crude Oil at 71.2$ today with target at $75.5 before the end of the year (x30 leverage).

Oil buyers, check in

To hit at any time in this year? Seems a reasonable bet.
What does 30x leverage mean? Can you explain the details ?

If I put down 10k and it hits that price I make 300k?
If it doesn’t hit I lose only the 10k?

It means if for example your stake was 1,000 euros, with 30 leverage your stake becomes 30,000 so it’s interesting for small variation profits. Of course you pay a fee to the broker for that but it can be worth it if you are confident.

Dark side of this, your losses will be multiplied by 30 as well, your account can be liquidated, that’s what happened last night to people shorting bitcoin :sweat_smile:

On the oil example, depending how much you have in your account, you could lose all your balance if oil goes down to 65 or something. But I am confident for this one, reaches 75, doesn’t go below 66 again.

That’s a lot of leverage and a lot of confidence. :grin:

2 Likes

It’s your money to lose. Good luck. There’s an article out there about how oil should/could go to 80 by year’s end.

Well, there are several. Here’s one. Maybe…if there’s a war. Given soon to be runaway inflation in the US and COVID in the the manufacturing second and third world, sans war, I don’t see it happening.

S&P Global Platts Analytics expects Brent will hold in the $70s during the summer but will fall back into the mid/lower $60s going into 2022.

1 Like

I couldn’t have that level of confidence in oil, especially on the downside. This is a primate take though, best of luck.

2 Likes

I would not be confident in anything this year. This is a noob point, though. :slight_smile:

Ordered some Li Auto, let’s see if it’s going up a bit, for a quick in and out.

Thx I’ll keep an update, my stop loss is actually at 64. We will see.

Looking good for $75ish.

But today I lost 900 euros on Djokovic

Will try to get it back with trading

Once a gambler…

Djokovic 6-1, break in the second set, his live odds were 1.05 and he lost

Back to trading now. and keeping the cryptos anyway, especially Eth :slight_smile:

1 Like

You put 900 on Novak pre-match? Or during 6-1 3-2?

For those of you who do long term holding of stocks, what is your time frame?

For me, these days I try and buy undervalued stocks in good companies, and my time horizon is around 5 years. However, I do an evaluation at 1 year, and see how it is holding up versus the market index. And repeat every year.

If the stock price has gone up over 50%, I will consider harvesting some profits, but not necessarily (for example with Google I continue to hold, because I see even more upside in the next few years long term). I will also consider selling it in entirety if I do not see much upside.

As well, my sell signal is a 20% loss. As a result, I am not in any stocks with a high variable these days, though occasionally some do seem attractive (FivR and the like).

What do you guys do? Do you have guidelines that you follow? This is what I have come up with after about a decade of investing, when it comes to individual stocks that is. Mind you, about 60% of my portfolio is in indexes (which I hold forever), so these rules only apply to my 40% individual stock holdings.

I started 15 or so years ago. All DRips. I have PFE and MO and PM left. I held some for five and sold when we needed money to open a business. Sold some at ten years in when we moved to NY and still have the big three. I bought a subscription to a divided newsletter and hold less than a year on average. I prefer MO and PM. I’ve literally forgotten about them for years. I don’t add money any more, but the dividends have bumped me happily into a higher tax rate.

1 Like

Dividend reimbursement is really good but I believe foreigners also get taxed on US dividends , a bit of a dampener .

Was a good swing trade for me. Bought at 29, sold at 32 a few days later. Will do more of those. Buy the oversold and sell the overbought, easy concept. Chinese tech stocks are very appealing right now, people are wary of the regulations, at the same time they see the potential, so big swings are to be expected.

I have some BTBT, but was too slow to react to the recent movements. Same for Tilray. Crypto mining and weed are fun plays, cause I don’t hesitate selling them to take profit.

With a possible/likely correction coming, better keep some cash on the side to jump in later. In the meantime do some swing trades.