Give up studying -Working VISA problem in Taiwan

Hi, I am a foreigner, and I study PhD in Taiwan now. However, after around 2 years, I feel that I cannot continue this study further. Then I decided to find the job in Taiwan instead. Honestly I already got Master Degree in Taiwan before, then I go back my country, then I came back for PhD again. Recently I got a job offer too. I am preparing for leave of school documents. But I see in the documents, they noted “after 10days when I apply for stopping studying, I need to leave Taiwan”. I know the company will help me to apply for working permit first (spend around 2 weeks), then I can change VISA or ARC status later. I would like to ask that:

• Is it okie if I stop studying and using the master degree to apply for the work pertmit?
  • If possible, when I complete the study withdrawal, then company helps me to apply for work permit successfully, it will be over 10 days. It will not be a problem for me? Please suggest me some recommendations.
    Thank you alot. Looking forward to your advices asap.

I would suggest the company apply for the working permit and ARC for you first, then NIA will switch from student to “working permit” type ARC by themselves.

You should not stop study until the new ARC is valid. Also double-check your work contract, usually, the first ARC is 1 year valid, and after this 1-year companies can apply for more extended ARC, like 3 years.

Hope it helps you.

3 Likes

As already suggested, you should not withdraw from school before your company gets a work permit and you apply for your work based ARC.

The length of the new ARC depends on the length of your contract.

If the company cannot get a work permit before you leave school, you can apply for a 6 month extension before you apply for stopping studying., iiuc. It might be just when you graduate, so you better confirm at NIA.

Anyway, I would consult to NIA.

4 Likes

Another thing that I forgot to mention. When a company applies for a working permit and ARC for a foreigner, they need to prove to NIA they cannot find a “local” with the same skills. So, basically, you must have 5 years of working experience in that field or have a “master degree”. So you will be just fine, don’t worry. Just make sure the company wants to hire you do their home work.

1 Like

I am so grateful for your detailed advice. Honestly, I am worried, coz this company hasnt recruited any foreigners before, then my situation is quite complicated, then I am not sure everything will be fine. Besides that, company asked me to submit the school leave of withdrawal certificate also when they do work permit :frowning: I already asked them about the contract, but they also said they havent signed any contract before, if I need, they will give to me. (I can understand this situation, coz they are local employees,and they dont have any experience to recruit the foreigner before). Honestly so complicated :frowning:

Thank you for your advice. I asked my friend about 6-month extension, then they said because I havent finished PhD, then I fail to apply this one. Why I am worried about my situation.

It should not be complicated! The company can contact NIA and get all related information about how to hire a foreigner. Should not be a big deal to be honest. It is most the “company” do their home work. Personally, I would not do anything without sign a contract.

Things that are important (for me at least):

1. Offer letter, specifying salary, working hours, and position.
  2. Contract.
  3. Working permit and all paper work to apply ARC.
2 Likes

I agree with you that three above things are very important. So why I have just asked them about the contract problem, they said they just give offer letter, then they said if the workpermit application cannot pass, they cannot recruit me, then they cannot offer me a contract. I feel quite confused now, and it is risky for me to stop studying. :frowning:

they don’t need this to apply for your work permit.

You could check which documents they need on the following site.

https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/Content_List.aspx?n=3840722B002ADEAB

1 Like

Thank you alot. I will try to discuss with them more. Again, really thank you!

1 Like

Regarding the contract, they can add a clause about invalidate it if you don’t have all requirements to apply for the working permit.

Usually, all the contracts that I signed, does not mention about it. And I always sign the contract before apply the ARC. When you apply the ARC you need to have the contract in hands.

The same for me. I have signed the contract before applying for ARC. I think the signed contract must be presented to obtain ARC.

I think it’s a standard procedure to “invalidate” work contract if the employee stop meeting employment criteria. E.g. you are bus driver and your driving license is revoked due to driving under influence.

Hi, thank you for sharing. I am preparing documents for apply work permit and stop studying also. So grateful if you dont mind to share your process for my reference.

To apply for work permit, or change student arc to work arc, all u need to give to nia is a work permit and an agreement with company taken within one month. Thats all