Giving Money/Time to Charities

[color=green]Mod Note: This thread has been split from this thread regarding links for sponsoring a child. Please respect other poster’s personal convictions about their choice to donate money and or time to charities.
Rgds,
Truant
[/color]

My brother helped build houses for people in the slums of Tijuana, Mexico as part of a group. The project was spearheaded by a Christian charity and, while my brother is not a Christian and doesn’t care for missionaries and proselytizers, he said they didn’t do too much of that and, in any event, the relief they provided was immense. They provided decent housing to people living in cardboard boxes before. His wife and young son accompanied him on the project and they all found it very moving.

On the other hand, if Christian charities really turn you off (as they do with me), you can contribute to a Buddhist charity. My wife and I give to Taiwan’s Tzu Chi Foundation, which I believe is very honest and legit and the money goes where it’s needed (If someone has credible evidence to the contrary I’d be happy to hear it). Here’s their Website:

tzuchi.org/global/about/index.html

But, in response to the OP, I don’t know if they have a program for sponsoring individual children.

One of our regular posters here has a link to his mom’s site in the Philippines. I keep losing track of the url, but maybe he’ll pop into this topic and share the url with us. It’s a small home that she runs, taking in orphans and neglected children she finds off the street. Last time I visited the site, she had a blog with updates on the children and the home.

As a side note, it makes me sad to read that people so actively dislike missionaries. There are quite a few who post and read here. They do such wonderful work here in Taiwan (and elsewhere) without you even realizing it. They’re not the people screaming at you on the sidewalks to repent or burn in hell for all eternity. They’re just quietly performing acts of service, building houses, giving food and money, providing medicine and health care in countries all over the world.

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]One of our regular posters here has a link to his mom’s site in the Philippines. I keep losing track of the url, but maybe he’ll pop into this topic and share the url with us. It’s a small home that she runs, taking in orphans and neglected children she finds off the street. Last time I visited the site, she had a blog with updates on the children and the home.

As a side note, it makes me sad to read that people so actively dislike missionaries. There are quite a few who post and read here. They do such wonderful work here in Taiwan (and elsewhere) without you even realizing it. They’re not the people screaming at you on the sidewalks to repent or burn in hell for all eternity. They’re just quietly performing acts of service, building houses, giving food and money, providing medicine and health care in countries all over the world.[/quote]

I think this should be seen. :slight_smile:

As far as I’m concerned those helping children could be three-armed purple monkeys from Uranus and I wouldn’t care. Helping kids is helping kids. I think it’s kind of silly to say (and no one is actually saying it) “Wow, you’re doing a great job here; too bad you’re a missionary.” I would think the children, and their parents, if they have any, don’t mind very much.

While I certainly respect people who sponsor a child, I am slightly amazed that some people on this thread are amazed that other Forumosans donate money. However, and feel free to disagree with me here, I think the real heroes are the people who donate their time again and again. It is so easy to donate one’s money. My "moonbat"parents donate quite a bit of money to various charities. I always chide them that it soothes their “liberal guilt” for suceeding. In my opinion, lots of first world liberals could do a hell of a lot more in the third world (and no Taiwan does not count) instead of living in their bubble.

In any case, I admire someone who donates 6 or 7 hours a week to be a “Big Brother or Sister” much more than a credit card philanthropist.

And I really admire people who donate months and years of their lives getting their hands dirty working in undeveloped countries.

Even sloths can give their credit card numbers and fill in an online form. Don’t be amazed that some Forumosans sponsor a child…I am certainly not.

The lord works in mysterious ways Chewy . . I mean . . be it money or time, its all needed, right? Depends what you have to give, obviously.

HG

I agree, which is why I couldn’t fathom the hatred expressed by Fred Smith and a few others a while back in the “I hate Jimmy Carter” thread. Regardless of what one thinks of his performance as President of the US, there should be no doubt that Carter is one hell of a good guy.

Here he is with his wife working on one of the hundreds of houses he has built for poor people. Can you imagine any other former president and his wife making such a lasting and serious commitment for those in need? Nor is this a mere photo-op publicity stunt; he’s been doing this continuously for the past twenty years.

[quote]Jimmy Carter’s involvement with Habitat for Humanity International began in 1984 when the former president led a work group to New York City to help renovate a six-story building with 19 families in need of decent, affordable shelter. That experience planted the seed, and the Jimmy Carter Work Project has been an internationally recognized event of HFHI ever since.

Each year, Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter give a week of their time

[quote=“Chewycorns”]While I certainly respect people who sponsor a child, I am slightly amazed that some people on this thread are amazed that other Forumosans donate money. However, and feel free to disagree with me here, I think the real heroes are the people who donate their time again and again. It is so easy to donate one’s money. My "moonbat"parents donate quite a bit of money to various charities. I always chide them that it soothes their “liberal guilt” for suceeding. In my opinion, lots of first world liberals could do a hell of a lot more in the third world (and no Taiwan does not count) instead of living in their bubble.

In any case, I admire someone who donates 6 or 7 hours a week to be a “Big Brother or Sister” much more than a credit card philanthropist.

And I really admire people who donate months and years of their lives getting their hands dirty working in undeveloped countries.

Even sloths can give their credit card numbers and fill in an online form. Don’t be amazed that some Forumosans sponsor a child…I am certainly not.[/quote]

I understand that you admire the people who donate time more than those who donate money, but most organizations need the cash as much as the labour, and, in fact, would cease to function if either were to run short.

I know that AnimalsTaiwan is only able to operate because people give what they are happiest giving, and that can be cash, skills, labor, used goods, whatever.

As someone who has been broke for almost two years but had plenty of time on my hands, I gave my time to my favourite cause; those who are busy but not short of cash provide the financial support for what I do, and that’s what makes it work.

I admire anyone who does anything for those in need; the world needs more of that kind of person.

Sean

Braxtonhicks, I’ve absolutely nothing against missionaries and I agree that without them, a lot of charity work would cease to exist. It’s proselytizers I have issues with.

Those who contribute to charities and to folks in need should be commended for their altruism and are worthy of our praise regardless of the method of their contribution.
Folks who know what it is like to live in poverty would probably never make any distinctions between monetary/volunteer contributions. Folks who never had to worry about basic needs–food, clothes and shelter…probably can’t understand the differences even minor contributions can make.
Giving makes one feel good, and even if it is just to assuage guilt, it is better than not doing anything at all.
I have always been impressed with those who contribute their time and wealth.
I once did a story for my university paper on a panhandler on Yonge Street. I stood there a whole morning and talked to the guy and noted who put money in his bucket. I was not surprised to find that the contributors were mostly students and casually-dressed folk–not the “suits” or seemingly wealthy Bay Street types. Just goes to show, IMO, those who know what it is like to be poor are usually the ones who help most.

Just did a quick search and came up with the following:

Who Gives the Most? The people that give the most actually make the least. Households earning under $10,000 a year – far below the poverty line – gave 5.2% of their income to charity. That’s a larger percentage of their money than any other income group.

Link here:
justgive.org/html/don_info/howmuch.html

Yes, charity groups like WorldVision and other religious charity groups and missionaries, TzuCHi also, they DO do important work around the world and should be saluted. Hospitals, schools, etc.

very true.

Anyone who is doing something, whether it is giving their money or their time, is making a far greater difference than someone who simply criticises and does nothing.

The world needs more givers, whether it be time or money.