Giving recycling to the old ladies with carts full of recycling

Same here. They may think we are not smart enough to divide the stuff properly, and that there may be some useful/valuable stuff in the bags, LOL.

The cat litter cannot fill a whole bag or it will break apart -I double bag and it is still really heavy. So the empty space is used by other people, usually market vendors, to stuff their stuff. I do not mind, I am not using the space anyways and usually they insist on throwing out the garbage themselves. Plus, it gets me on their good side, which is good when buying stuff from them or, as it happened, when I was sick they helped me out with chores. Even came to my house to pick up the recyclables or help me buy stuff from 711 when I couldn’t even walk there. I strongly advise to keep in good terms with the neighbors, folks.

We live opposite an eldery couple who recycle for a living. Their small yard is clean and neat. While the work is tough they seem to be a proud active couple.
The woman suffered a motorcycle accident recently and now spends all her time recuperating at home. She is bored out of her mind and when she hears us come home, she always comes out to have a chat and to see the kids.
They are one of our better neighbours.

I can’t tell if you’re trolling or not. [/quote]

I’m not, many of these people I see are decrepit, essentially walking corpses, they should be taken care of resting inside houses in comfort. Also see lots of younger mentally handicapped people doing it. Not good.[/quote]

“Fair treatment for mutants!” I definitely think your comment was well-intentioned. I think stagnating at home on welfare maybe even more demeaning. Staying active can stave off arthritis and heart disease. I 100% agree humans could do a lot better than scraping around for cardboard, but it beats sitting in a care home, where these guys can get abused. I don’t think real social change will come from the gov. The US/EU govs collect trillions in tax and large numbers of people are left disenfranchised. See homeless war vets. I think we need to get rid of 95 per cent of these bureaucrats, leave the money in the private sector, and hope help for those comes from competing charities and small scale ideas… Anyway… that is beyond the scope of this thread.

I think Taiwan has it better than a lot of countries. There are lots of subtle ideas that work, their intelligence doesn’t hit me til I think them through.

Gav, I had no idea they earned so much, Cheers.

Double post.

I can’t tell if you’re trolling or not. [/quote]

I’m not, many of these people I see are decrepit, essentially walking corpses, they should be taken care of resting inside houses in comfort. Also see lots of younger mentally handicapped people doing it. Not good.[/quote]

“Fair treatment for mutants!” I definitely think your comment was well-intentioned. I think stagnating at home on welfare maybe even more demeaning. Staying active can stave off arthritis and heart disease. I 100% agree humans could do a lot better than scraping around for cardboard, but it beats sitting in a care home, where these guys can get abused. I don’t think real social change will come from the gov. The US/EU govs collect trillions in tax and large numbers of people are left disenfranchised. See homeless war vets. I think we need to get rid of 95 per cent of these bureaucrats, leave the money in the private sector, and hope help for those comes from competing charities and small scale ideas… Anyway… that is beyond the scope of this thread.

I think Taiwan has it better than a lot of countries. There are lots of subtle ideas that work, their intelligence doesn’t hit me til I think them through.

Gav, I had no idea they earned so much, Cheers.[/quote]

Gives me something to look forward to once I get my APRC. :discodance:

I always give my cans, plastic bottles to the people who push their carts around town. I have no idea how much money they make but they seem happy to take what I give.

I used to do recycling several years ago when I was single. Back then there was a deposit on all plastic bottles and I could easily earn the cost of my meals. Even after the deposit was dropped you could earn decent pocket money.
But after a few years the price dropped through the floor. It’s not worth the time it takes sorting them. Our local recycling lady stopped coming so we flag down any person we see on the streets. Sometimes we (our neighbors and us) have to take it in to the recycling place for a big 6 dollars.
These recycling ladies have a terrible job. Actually not a terrible job if the price was decent but, now it plenty hard work just to get enough money to live on.

In front of our house, we left an old school desk, where we drop our recyclable trash
Some neighbors are using it too. Up to 3 ladies take turns to pick up the stuff

Where to find the price of those deposits? Any official value? Website?

I believe Large Glass beer bottles and Cooking wine are the only things left that require a deposit. I think I got 2 dollars last time I returned one.

My mother-in-law is one of those recycling ladies. I will be happy to pass on any questions you may have.

Someone left an obike parked across the sidewalk right outside my house yesterday, so Ii gave it to the old recycling lady.

Sorry, old topic. So, it’s okay to offer the people with carts paper, plastic, aluminum, and cardboard? I just met a woman sorting through the trash outside my local convenience store and offered her all my cardboard.I had a lot because of Carrefour delivery and I’m still not sure how the local recycling trucks work. She seemed happy to take it. Can I just give the recycling trucks a bag of mixed recycling, or do I need to separate it?