Glenn Beck explains the Dead Sea Scrolls

So TT… Is that like the Jewish version of being sent to Coventry?

Isn’t that an oxymoron? Bit like a “Lord of the Rings scholar”?[/quote]
Hardly. One’s a book that has shaped civilizations, the other is a book that has shaped a subculture of anorak-wearing dweebs.[/quote]

No hating on the Christians, mmm’kay?

It’s called Sitting Shiva

No not that Shiva, this Shiva:

they mourn for seven days (shiva means seven apparently) by sittin around and whining and groaning (so not much different from their daily behavior). In my case, I’m dead to them because I married a shiksa (non-Jewish chick), which to them is “worse than Hitler” in killing off Jews. Like I said - they’re what we call in the doctoring profession “twatticus maximus”.

It’s called Sitting Shiva

No not that Shiva, this Shiva:

they mourn for seven days (shiva means seven apparently) by sittin around and whining and groaning (so not much different from their daily behavior). In my case, I’m dead to them because I married a shiksa (non-Jewish chick), which to them is “worse than Hitler” in killing off Jews. Like I said - they’re what we call in the doctoring profession “twatticus maximus”.[/quote]

You forgot the part where they take their shoes off.

3000 years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax…
:no-no:

No harm done.

As a percentage of the US population, not many no. But in terms of recognized scholarship, the US has some of the most well respected and highly regarded Biblical scholars in the world.

Yes, I recognize this.

A few, yes. There are some excellent tests in typical comparative religion curricula, and of course anyone graduating from a standard properly credited seminary will have had to succeed in passing a formidable battery of examinations as part of a a comprehensive secular education in the Bible, and will typically also have had to learn at least one of the relevant original source languages (Greek is popular, but some go for Hebrew). A friend of mine back-translated the entire book of Revelation from English into Greek, during his undergraduate studies alone.

Very likely.

[quote]I’m currently reading “The Year of Living Biblically” by A. J. Jacobs. He’s the guy that read the Encyclopedia from front to back and then wrote, “The Know-It-All.”

In TYOLB, he follows the 7 hundred some rules of the Bible as literally as possible. You can check it out from Taipei City Library when I return it.[/quote]

It should be an interesting read. I am familiar with his findings, from the video he made. Much to his suprise, he learned a great deal about the value of certain Biblical principles, and even more to his surprise he came to a better undersatnding of the value of ritual. These facts are all covered in the relevant scholarly literature of course. Milgrom’s groundbreaking study on Leviticus was a key work unlocking the valuable socio-psychological function of ritual in the Mosaic Law, and he dominated the field for almost 40 years, such that it is no longer even possible to discuss Leviticus in scholarship without referring to Milgrom.

Other well recognized scholarly treatments of the Law following Milgrom have been produced by Mary Douglas, ‘Leviticus as Literature’ (1999), Hyam Maccoby, ‘Ritual and Morality: The Ritual Purity System and Its Place in Judaism’ (1999), and Jonathan Klawans, ‘Impurity and Sin in Ancient Judaism’ (2004). The ritual systems in Leviticus have even been explored by modern neuropsychology for their insights into the effects of ritual and patterned behaviour on indivdiuals and social groups. Jacobs could have saved himself considerable time and incovenience by reading Milgrom, Maccoby, Klawans, and Douglas. I certainly have.

Plus, lest we neglect to mention it…

I got your secular analysis, right here!!

There are TEN now? Dang! When did that happen?

Forti,
I notice from your wiki link that Milgrom just died.

[quote=“zender”]Forti,
I notice from your wiki link that Milgrom just died.[/quote]

Yes, that’s why I spoke of him in the past tense. Good thing he managed to get out his last major work a few years ago. Still, with scholarly papers and books on the subject from 1970 to 2004, there’s plenty of Milgrom still to read.

[quote=“the chief”]Plus, lest we neglect to mention it…

I got your secular analysis, right here!![/quote]
“Adult Supervision Recommended for Minors” :chuckle-snort:

Right, cuz the Word of God ain’t pretty and it’ll scare the bejesus outta yer 4 year old - plus there’s sex (lord have mercy)

I’m pretty sure about 50% of Americans get their Bible knowledge from this man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ByoJ7amKs

Best exegesis this side of Aurora, Illinois!

Thanks for the Sam Harris clips, zender. :laughing:

Is it wrong for me to admit I get my knowledge of Judaism from a mixture of forumosa, Kinky Friedman and The Simpsons?

[quote=“Funk500”]

Is it wrong for me to admit I get my knowledge of Judaism from a mixture of forumosa, Kinky Friedman and The Simpsons?[/quote]
I get mine from “Portnoy’s Complaint”, Isaac Bashevis Singer and South Park.

Where’s that facepalm when you need it?

Man, FUCK Glenn Beck. And I’m a conservative!! He’s the Benedict Arnold of our times. Judas goat.

On the flip-side, although many people can’t stand Alex Jones’ bravado, at least he’s not a liar. www.infowars.com

for when you really need a ‘facepalm’ picture…
Facepalm

and one I particularly like…

Two Tongues, the answer is YES, you can be a scholar of Scientology, e.g. by writing academic articles or monographs on it. For example, J. Gordon Melton has written on this as well as many other New Religious Movements. I can’t swear that this particular speciality will be in demand, though, compared to more important religions.

The great scholar of Kabballah, Gershom Scholem, once said that “nonsense is nonsense, but the STUDY of nonsense is SCHOLARSHIP.”

No, he’s a paranoid disesablishmentarianist.

“Oh, Lord, give me a gun and a full box of ammo so i can make some DECISIONS that NEED to be MADE in this, YOUR humble Earthly land, so I can return it to the state of PARADISE You intended for us, YOUR children made in YOUR image. Amen!”

No, he’s a paranoid disesablishmentarianist.

[/quote]

I won’t lie that the possibility of him being a CIA-owned rabble-rouser has crossed my mind. But even if he is, he’s reporting FAAAR more truths than Beck has and his track record is far-more trustworthy. If Jones’ ultimate M.O. is to start riots on the streets, I won’t deny the possibility. But he’s emphasized peaceful protest & peaceful government rejection…while Beck wants to do what the military complex wants to do, and that’s bomb Iran. Beck is also for a Value Added Tax and Carbon Creditds. He’s also pro-Federal Reserve. Gee…I wonder who pays his checks?

It’s blatantly obvious Beck is a Judas Goat. Maintaining the conspiratorial mind, if Jones is also ‘owned’, it would seem he’s in much deeper cover. But even if Jones is a CIA asset, the amount of accurate info he’s produced completely dwarfs the mainstream media. But one really has to ask themselves why William Cooper was murdered, but Alex Jones wasn’t. (quick info: Bill Cooper predicted 9-11 a month or so BEFORE Jones did. Cooper was the one who cried foul on Jones being a tool of the government…and in November 5th, 2001, he was murdered by the cops).

This thread just took a turn down the rabbit hole.