Glenn Greenwald - best thing since sliced bread

Anyone else been following this guy over the years?

One of the smartest, toughest, most eloquent people I’ve seen in a long time.

[quote=“BlownWideOpen”]Anyone else been following this guy over the years?

One of the smartest, toughest, most eloquent people I’ve seen in a long time.[/quote]

Yer a stranger around these parts,aren’t ya boy? We heya fermosians don’t wanna hear about no limp wristed activists promoting thays version of da trut. Das why we have CNN ,Fox news n such. Ya heaya?

I was wondering along what position of the spectrum the first reply to my post would be.

I was thinking maybe liberal progressive, or a tinge of feminism perhaps, maybe conservative, possibly a far right winger.

Seeing as how Greenwald has been able to reach across the political spectrum, and garner the support of democrats and republicans alike - a rare accomplishment in the US these days - I wasn’t sure what I’d get.

Greenwald has taken on anyone and everyone in this debate, not afraid even of going head to head with key liberals in the media - Bill Maher, for example.

“limp wristed activist” couldn’t be further from the truth. We haven’t seen a tougher, more focused, more intelligent guy like Greenwald is a very long time

Keep 'em coming people, we’re just getting started

1 Like

[quote=“BlownWideOpen”]I was wondering along what position of the spectrum the first reply to my post would be.

I was thinking maybe liberal progressive, or a tinge of feminism perhaps, maybe conservative, possibly a far right winger.

Seeing as how Greenwald has been able to reach across the political spectrum, and garner the support of democrats and republicans alike - a rare accomplishment in the US these days - I wasn’t sure what I’d get.

Greenwald has taken on anyone and everyone in this debate, not afraid even of going head to head with key liberals in the media - Bill Maher, for example.

“limp wristed activist” couldn’t be further from the truth. We haven’t seen a tougher, more focused, more intelligent guy like Greenwald is a very long time

Keep 'em coming people, we’re just getting started[/quote]

Your enthusiasm is admirably noted but I’m afraid Greenwald is going to have as much effect on the war mongering policies and and the bought off politicians that support and profit from them as Nancy Regan had on the war on drugs. Talk is cheap.

Well actually look they’ve had some small victories recently:
mediaite.com/tv/glenn-greenw … sa-ruling/

And the discourse is full force out in the open arena now

Some heavy hitters are pissed off with the NSA, including several democrats and republicans in office.

War mongering is one thing, and respect to Snowden and Greenwald and many others for fighting this crap for a long time, but internet privacy is the big issue at stake with this one, and Snowden and Greenwald have exposed some pretty awful things.

As a side note, agentsmith, with your MacArthur quote there I’d have thought you’d be huge fans of Greenwald, Snowden, Assange, and the likes!

I’m a fan of anyone with moral values and insight to see through the garbage we are fed on a daily basis. I just don’t see anything in this world changing short of removing the .01 % from power.

I’m a fan of anyone with moral values and insight to see through the garbage we are fed on a daily basis. I just don’t see anything in this world changing short of removing the .01 % from power.[/quote]

Fraid Im not convinced.

May I call you BWO? agentsmith is being sarcastic; he’s probably the most left-wing person on the IP sub; certainly the most- :astonished: - militant one.

BWO it is then!
Yes agentsmith is fighting the good fight, creative guy

Was going to start a new GG Thread, but hey, shout out to BWO.

We have witnessed an orgy of censorship from Silicon Valley monopolies with calls for far more aggressive speech policing, a visibly militarized Washington, D.C. featuring a non-ironically named “Green Zone,” vows from the incoming president and his key allies for a new anti-domestic terrorism bill, and frequent accusations of “sedition,” “treason,” and “terrorism” against members of Congress and citizens. This is all driven by a radical expansion of the meaning of “incitement to violence.” It is accompanied by viral-on-social-media pleas that one work with the FBI to turn in one’s fellow citizens ( See Something, Say Something! ) and demands for a new system of domestic surveillance.

The more honest proponents of this new domestic War on Terror are explicitly admitting that they want to model it on the first one. A New York Times reporter noted on Monday that a “former intelligence official on PBS NewsHour” said “that the US should think about a ‘9/11 Commission’ for domestic extremism and consider applying some of the lessons from the fight against Al Qaeda here at home.” More amazingly, Gen. Stanley McChrystal — for years head of Joint Special Operations Command in Iraq and the commander of the war in Afghanistan — explicitly compared that war to this new one, speaking to Yahoo News:

The second video features the amazing declaration from former Facebook security official Alex Stamos, talking to the very concerned CNN host Brian Stelter, about the need for social media companies to use the same tactics against U.S. citizens that they used to remove ISIS from the internet — “in collaboration with law enforcement” — and that those tactics should be directly aimed at what he calls extremist “conservative influencers.”

Meanwhile, Congressman Adam Schiff (D-CA) — not just one of the most dishonest members of Congress but also one of the most militaristic and authoritarian — has had a bill proposed since 2019 to simply amend the existing foreign anti-terrorism bill to allow the U.S. Government to invoke exactly the same powers at home against “domestic terrorists.”

I could quote more. It’s all a good read. But I’ll leave you with GG’s conclusion:

That a new War on Terror is coming is not a question of speculation and it is not in doubt. Those who now wield power are saying it explicitly. The only thing that is in doubt is how much opposition they will encounter from those who value basic civic rights more than the fears of one another being deliberately cultivated within us.

jfc

Matt Taibbi deserves a slice of the good bread as well.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/10/18/glenn_greenwald_the_mountain_of_data_showing_how_authoritarian_democrats_have_become.html

It reminds me of this commercial.

2 Likes

Since there’s one Taibbi mention here, this was an interesting piece. Had heard just bits of a lot of this history. They mentioned it on their podcast, he said he assumed it was going to be a hit piece when he heard about it but kind of shook his head whatever, lol.

4 Likes

Greenwald daily news show debuts!

3 Likes