Global Anti-War Rallies

[quote=“baytiger”]
I also wonder if the same protesters would be out in force if we were to oppose force with force if and when big brother China ever came knocking on Taiwan’s door.[/quote]

They’ll be too busy packing their CDs and trying to get to the airport… :laughing:

i don’t think i’ve ever seen an anti-saddam message in an anti-war rally beside the burning us flags and anti-wto/anti-israel signs. if any of the anti-war protesters actually get around to protesting against saddam as well(instead of flying to iraq to show solidarity with the iraqi regime), please take a pic and link it on this forum. thanks.

i have a big problem with the title of this thread. it’s not really about anti-war…it’s just focusing on one war. if you truely are anti-war, can we simply have some peace signs. there is no need to target the any specific country. afterall, do we really see only one war going on? do the other wars going on (or about to get started) in this world not count? do you only care about iraq because of the oil it has?

there is strength in numbers. this is the case with all protests…to show that there is dissent. if bush (and equally important, the american people) see people from around the world (taiwan is just one of the places that will be protesting according to “sue bush”) protesting against war with hussein, they may think twice.

yeah…taiwan doesn’t carry any weight in the UN…but i doubt taiwan will get closer to getting into the UN by supporting the US’ compaign to fight hussein. the only way taiwan is getting into the UN is if China pisses the US and some other countries off (so pissed off that they will ignore the 2-billion-people market) or China changes it’s policy.

Another song—
sung to the tune of
I Feel Like I’m Fixin’ to Die Rag by Country Joe MacDonald

Well come on all you big strong men
Old Dubya needs your help again,
The mess he’s in is really tough,
Way down yonder in the Persian Gulf,
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
We’re gonna have a whole lot of fun.

And it’s one, two, three, what are we fightin’ for,
Don’t ask me I don’t give a fig, next stop’s them oil rigs.
And it’s five, six, seven, open up the pearly gates.
Well, there’s no time to wonder why,
Whoopee!
They’re all gonna die.

Come on wall street don’t be slow.
Why, Man, this war is a-Go-Go-Go.
There’s plenty of good money to be made
By supplyin’ the Army with the tools of its trade.
But just hope and pray that if they drop a nuke,
They drop it on old KirKuk .

Don’t ask me I don’t give a fuck, just keep my gas below two
bucks.
Well, there ain’t no time to wonder why,
Whoopee!
They’re all gonna die.

Come on Generals, let’s move fast;
Your big chance has come at last.
Now you go out and get those Rags–
Cause the only good Iraqi’s in a body bag.
And you know that peace can only be won,
When we’ve blown 'em all to kingdom come.

Don’t ask me I don’t give a rat’s ass, let’s mop us up some Iraqi
trash.
Well, there’s no time to wonder why,
Whoopee!
They’re all gonna die.

Come on Mothers now don’t be sad,
Pack your boys off to old Baghdad.
Come on Fathers, don’t hesitate,
Send your sons off before it’s too late.
And you can be the first ones in your block
To have your boys come home in a box.

In attempts to take away from some of the mystery I’ll say what I know (very, very little). My mom is one of those anti-war about all about peace types (yeah, it’s a type). She emailed me asking whether we’re having a demonstration here on the 15th. She said it’s a global thing going on in cities all over the world. Maybe I can dig up a better link aboot it.

[HERE’S ONE] it’s a very short aritle.

If someone else has brought this to light I apoligize for the doubling the info. For those interested, I plan on going. If mom says it’s a good thing, then damnit it must be good. :smiley: I might partake from a distance though…

Thanks, Miltownkid. 15 February is indeed a global day of action against war in Iraq, as outlined on the International A.N.S.W.E.R. web site. What I am wondering is whether the proposed protest in Taibei is any more than wishful thinking by Sue Bush.

However, a little bird told me that there is going to be an anti-war protest organised by Taiwanese groups at or near the American Institute in Taiwan (No. 7, Lane 134, Sec. 3, Hsinyi/Xinyi Road, Taibei) - just east of Daan Park - at 10 a.m. on Saturday 15 February.

Note: On a previous demonstration on the same issue at the AIT, the police did try to grab a foreigner. The foreigner was protected by the Taiwanese protesters. Their is some risk involved in taking part in this kind of activity. It’s up to you, the individual, to weigh up the slight risk of deportation against your determination to speak out freely.

[quote=“Juba”]T

Note: On a previous demonstration on the same issue at the AIT, the police did try to grab a foreigner. [/quote]

Good to see the police are (for once!) doing their job. Maybe next time they’ll put the clown in the hospital. :smiling_imp:

Still bitter that the South lost the war?

The South shall rise again! :laughing:

I wouldn’t mind supporting thet “Make love not war” thing, but in case they want my participation, they shoudl make sure that a number of nubile xiaojie’s stod ready to cooperate with me on the “make love” thing.

Cat and mouse , hide and seek , peek-a-boo; unfortunately for
Sadam he’s a very misunderstood man. :?

Suppose teh Taiwanese government see this as an Anti America march as against an “Anti War March”( I have to agree with some people here, if you disagree with soemthing, it can further your arguement against something by having an alternative that is more benefical to all camps)

Then what will the Taiwanese government and thinking be “We better not publicize this, as we do not want the US to see taiwan as not getting on the bandwagon with them”
Taiwan here could then suffer in the future with no weapons or a reduction on weapons been sold to them(in reality this is possible)
I wonder then will they arrive like in the good ol’e days with the police and tear gas… else let it happen and play the whole thing down

Just out of curiousity as this could affect the choice of some foreigners attendance…

Is the ROC, eventhough it has no real influence, playing the"its not a Chinese problem and therefore does not concern us", else are they playing on the German France side; else are they backing the US the whole way

If its the third and they are backing the US, I think they could be watching the whole march carefully, but again if they deport foreigners for asking for or calling fro someother alternative to war… would it look good if they deported these foreigners… espically to the more HUMAN RIGHTS people and the international media

BTW… I think the “Attack Iraq” thinking has gathered so much momentum now that it is an uphill battle to both stop the US and offer an alternative…

it seems the burden of proof now lies on the people who don’t want war… and for them to come up with proof of a workable alternative…

saying don’t have a war or we don’t want a war… will neither appease Geroge Bush or fix Saddam Hussein

I’m getting sick of all this ‘you gotta come up with an alternative’ rubbish. The alternative is obviously not to invade Iraq. That’s pretty simple really isn’t it?

Brian

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]I’m getting sick of all this ‘you gotta come up with an alternative’ rubbish. The alternative is obviously not to invade Iraq. That’s pretty simple really isn’t it?

Brian[/quote]

Yes…if you’re a simpleton.

Duh, well I am if you are :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way, folks, in case the Swedish ladies show up, here’s a little ditty we might want to sing at the rally. Start practicing now.

Jingo Georgie

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]I’m getting sick of all this ‘you gotta come up with an alternative’ rubbish. The alternative is obviously not to invade Iraq. That’s pretty simple really isn’t it?

Brian[/quote]

but remember the UN inpection team have only had Iraqi “assiatance” since the US has threatened to use force…
it is the threat of force that is getting things done…
the threat of force is saying to Saddam that if you do not comply to the UN resolutions then YOU will suffer the consequences by being removed from Power
The UN resolutionns say that he must (correct me if I am wrong) destroy all chemical bilogoical etc weapons and the means to deliever them

so if people don’t want war… I would suggest when you go on the Anti War march… that you offer some viable alternatives that will get Iraq’s full assistance but does not include a threat of force…
People not wanting a war in Iraq will not stop the US… cause they have postioned themselves now to say
“Well sorry!!! Saddam has given us no choice, we have warned and given him time”
Sure this is probabily a seen as bullshit now but at the end of the day and in history…it will be blamed squarely on Iraq… if the US has other motives like the oil… these motives will be hidden under the slogan…" well we told him and gave him a chance to disarm and he didn’t resulting in forcing the USA’s hand"

Since Iraq is stinking rich (well Saddam anyway) I don’t think he can be bought offf… maybe if the UN promises him that it will let him take over all the Middle East… maybe then he will give up all his OFFENSIVE weapons

Saddam has no natural predators in the area… Iran probabily doesn’t want a war and other countires know that there is to much money in oil in that region… therefore why does he need all these weapons… for conquest???

If the US does nothing now and takes no military action… it could be interrupted as backing down … the West conceding and taking a step back so as to avoid a war…
I wonder what Saddam will then do to “push the envelope” a little further the next time…

kum ba ya my lord,
kum ba ya,
kum ba ya my lord,
come on folks, sing along,
kum ba ya,
kum ba,
oh fer crisakes, I’m not gonna sing alone,
grab hands folks, sing along,
kum ba ya my lord,
kum ba ya. . .

(though i hate the song)…

kumba ya…i’ll see ya on saturday