Global warming really global

Dang it’s hot out there!

Global warming has gone global
cdiac.ornl.gov/trends/co2/graphics/sio-mlgr.gif

In the last few years we could see local high temperatures in Europe or US in different countries at different times and places.

2003- US , Canada, Ireland, UK, France , Portugal, Germany, Russia, China, Taiwan etc all record record temperatures. Out of the last five years 3 have been record beaters since recorded history. From looking at tree rings, ice cores and lake sediments we can determine this is at least the hottest period for 1000 years and most likely for the last few thousand years.

Lets look at it from a statistical viewpoint. Before people were claiming it was just a coincidence etc…people were warning of an ice age 20 years ago. While it is true that the 1970s had a few cold years it didn’t reach record temperatures consistently over five years that are records over the last 1000 years.

Some people propose increased solar activity . This is also possible but the solar cycle would have to peak at this time in 1000 years would seem a very odd coincidence indeed.

Global warming is here and the C02 in the atmosphere will not reduce for decades. CO2 emissions are still increasing rapidly, China especially will contribute vast amounts in the next 10 to 20 years.
So is this what people will remember from the last five years and 2003 and will Iraq just be a footnote in history…even though I have seen no headlines about global warming yet. Is this a case of the media being too cautious due to previous scares?

Also global warming may have a positive feedback loop in this manner. Increased temperatures require more air conditioning pulling down more power and putting out more CO2.

Look on the bright side. Canada will vie with Finland as the world’s reigning superpower and that beachfront property you bought in Arizona might actually turn out to be a sweet deal in the end.

That’s a strong assumption that it’s the cold slowing things down in Canada :slight_smile: I thought it was because all the top brains from Canada came here.

This week’s leader in the British magazine, “The Spectator.”

freddy

spectator.co.uk/article.php3 … 09&id=3395

Hmmm let me put part of it here:

Do the temperatures in Britain over the past week at all justify the apocalyptic warnings of global warming? It depends, of course, how you wish to distort the data. True, a ridge of very hot air has swung up from the Continent and across Britain, raising the temperature to 92?F at Gatwick airport on Tuesday. Yet at Skegness on the same day it reached just 68?. As Conservative-supporting newspapers cannot resist gloating, the temperature has been higher in Bournemouth these past few days than in Barbados, where Tony Blair has taken his family on a freebie holiday courtesy of Cliff Richard. Turn the statistic around and it might equally be interpreted as a warning sign of global cooling:

the problem is, as soon as you start to point out inconsistencies in temperatures around the world, the global warmers will then just argue that really cold temperatures only goes to show how wicked global warming is. :smiley:

btw, global warming was the BEST thing to happen to earth in the last oh, 30,000 years or so. i’m sure when the earth started warming 20,000 years ago, people freaked out and wondered what all the poor canadians were going to do now that they weren’t buried under a glacier anymore. :wink:

All I know is there’s a hole in the ozone layer, that can’t be a good thing. Right? I was talking to a guy that never heard about it before, so I believe it deserves metion.

atm.ch.cam.ac.uk/tour/

I saw a National Geographic (the mag) a long time ago that had this wicked picture of the hole in the ozone from the ground. I did a little googling and only came up with charts and stuff.

Now I’m not particularly fond of the cold, however . . .

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/11/1060588322880.html

[quote]Warming seas threaten reef

The Great Barrier Reef may suffer coral bleaching 100 days a year within the next 50 years if more is not done to tackle climate change, a scientific report claims.

The report, released yesterday by the Australian Institute of Marine Science, the CSIRO and the CRC Reef Research Centre, said without tough restrictions on greenhouse gas emissions, ocean surface temperatures might rise by up to 4.5 degrees.

This might increase the frequency of coral bleaching - the natural phenomenon of coral turning white and dying - to a rate of 100 days a year by 2050. Even with low emissions, the surface is expected to warm by 1.5 degrees. . . [/quote]

As for this:

The Australian ski fields are highly dependent on snow making machines to maintain their business because of the incredible variation in snow patterns. I’d not be gauging global weather patterns on snowfall in Australia!

http://www.mtnforum.org/resources/library/davic98a.htm

[quote]
Australian Institute of Alpine Studies
February 1998 Conference Abstracts

METEOROLOGICAL ASPECTS OF SNOW.

The Australian alpine region, because of its geographic location, overall atmospheric conditions, and low elevation is only a marginal alpine region. Thus these conditions limit the snow season from around May to October and mean that small variations in the broadscale flow from one year to the next can have large effects on the type of snow season being experienced. [/quote]

Ah Shit! I’ve just noticed the quote from the conservative bloody Spectator (though I do enjoy reading it) came from that red baiting clown, Fred Smith. Aren’t I the fool.

HG

Remember when we were all so miffed (back in June) what a cool summer it had been so far? The weather is indeed, fucked up.
I wonder what’s in store for us this coming winter?

Having grown up as a white man in a black man’s country (I’m a white Australian, despite what my avatar may imply) I’m more than aware of the damage the hole in the ozone is causing. In fact I’ve heard some of it burnt of my nose.

Here’s an excerpt from a chilling read about skin cancer:

http://medicalecology.org/atmosphere/StratO3Dep/a_strato3dep.html

HG

i believe the latest studies show that the hole in the ozone layer is getting smaller.

and for every reef that gets destroyed by a warming climate, another reef will blossom.

why does everyone treat the current climate as the perfect climate? why would a climate 10 degrees hotter or 10 degrees colder be any less perfect? oh no, the water level might rise 10 inches! so? why is the current water level the ideal?

if you take a broader look at how the earth has changed the last few million years, all the hysterical crying about miniscule fluctuations in the temperature look entirely overblown.

The Montreal Protocol. One of the few environmental success stories of recent times. But please note although the destruction of the ozone layer and climate change are related they are not the same thing.

Please tell me where these reefs are “blossoming”. I’d like to see it.

The problem is not change but the rate of change. There is also the problem that the environment is already stressed by the demands of humans and therefore is less able to adapt to changes in climate.

so you’re arguing that this climate change will only occur with existing ecosystems being destroyed and no new ecosystems will be formed? while that could be true in an ice age where ice wipes out ecosystems, global warming means MORE biodiversity. compare the forests of costa rica to the forests of greenland. so anyone interested in more thriving ecosystems would be celebrating global warming. it might freak you out to know that there have been time in earth’s history when we didn’t have any polar ice caps, but during those times there were thriving ecosystems in antartica where now we only have ice.

[quote]
The problem is not change but the rate of change. There is also the problem that the environment is already stressed by the demands of humans and therefore is less able to adapt to changes in climate.[/quote]

rate of change? how do you measure rate of change and what are you comparing it to? i’m wondering because people can barely prove that the world is warming and not cooling and somehow you can measure the rate of change and deem it too fast so as to be unsafe?

do you realize that geologically speaking, we are on the tail end of the 3rd major ice age which began 3 million years ago. our current state is also the warm period between 2 periods of glaciation.

but then, what’s geology got to do with something like global warming? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry to say, but you exhibit a very poor understanding of ecology. Ecosystems evolve to suit a certain climate and any major deviation from that climate will adversely affect the viability of the ecosystem. Increasing temperatures may benefit some ecosystems, but not all. For example, alpine ecosystems would be negatively affected by a rise in the average temperature.

Through analysing ice cores, fossils, growth rings in trees and rocks it is possible to estimate past rates of change in climate. That is what I am comparing it to. If the current global warming trends drastically exceed past warming events then the consequences will be disastrous. And I also noted that the Earth’s environment is already under stress from various human activities meaning it is less able to cope with change.

Geologists are among the scientists who have a good understanding of the issue of global warming. In particular they can use their skills to help determine the Earth’s climate in the past, as I mentioned above.

warmer climates = more biodiversity. of course if all the water on the planet vaporized, that wouldn’t be the case. but a rise in temperature of say, 10 degrees celcius across the globe would result in more biodiversity.

so what are you comparing the current climate trends to? 100 years ago? 1000 years ago? 10 million years ago? what makes the changes too fast that they’re unsafe? do we even know how quickly temperatures changed in a 50 year period 300,000 years ago?

what are these past warming events that we’re drastically exceeding?

I don’t know where you get the idea that such a massive increase in temperature would increase biodiversity. It would actually cause mass extinctions. Your understanding of ecology is truly flawed.

do you realize how different earth’s surface temperatures used to be? 10 degrees celcius might be a bit much for an average increase across the planet, but the arctic circle warming up by 10 degrees celcius is not really a big deal in the scheme of our geologic history.

mass extinctions? uh, life formed on this planet when it was a LOT warmer than it is now. did i already mention there have been long periods when we’ve gone without polar ice caps?

and if you look at the planet’s history, all the major mass extinctions we’ve had have been due to cooling periods and not warming periods.

rise of the mammals, anyone?

how did the dinosaurs die? and don’t tell me it was because it got too hot. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s great if you are planning to work on your tan and have a full schedule… you can accomplish in 10mins (sunburn) what usually would take an hour :shock:

The human race is slowly becomming extinct anyway, so you won’t have to worry about global warning…

[quote]Increasingly, couples in their prime child-bearing years are
sterile; this may be due in part to a 53% decline in sperm count
that has been documented among men in all industrialized
countries over the past 50 years, a decline that is apparently
continuing[/quote]

So what will it be ? Artificial Intelligence, nuclear war, sterility, meteorite or global warming :shock: :laughing:

[quote=“Flipper”]do you realize how different earth’s surface temperatures used to be? 10 degrees celcius might be a bit much for an average increase across the planet, but the arctic circle warming up by 10 degrees celcius is not really a big deal in the scheme of our geologic history.

mass extinctions? uh, life formed on this planet when it was a LOT warmer than it is now. did i already mention there have been long periods when we’ve gone without polar ice caps?[/quote]

There is no doubt the Earth’s climate has varied greatly over the past four billion years. The important thing to note is that most of these major variations have occured over geological time scales – millions of years. Scientists predict that temperatures will increase by 1.5-6.0 degrees this century. Such a sudden rise will have catastrophic effects.

Flipper, I think you are missing the point. Just because climate has varied enormously through the Earth’s history doesn’t mean that climate change will have good consequences for life as it currently exists on Earth. Already human activities, in particular habitat destruction, unsustainable use of natural resources and pollution, are putting a great strain on the Earth and causing an increase in the rate of extinction. Climate change will exacerbate these problems.

Also it will have terrible effects on human life. Even a small rise in ocean levels will be disastrous for people living in Bangladesh or the Maldives (or other major flood plains and low lying islands).

[quote=“Flipper”]and if you look at the planet’s history, all the major mass extinctions we’ve had have been due to cooling periods and not warming periods.

how did the dinosaurs die? and don’t tell me it was because it got too hot. :P[/quote]

The dinosaurs most likely became extinct as a result of a “nuclear winter” caused by a large asteroid hitting the Earth. It got too cold for them!!! So you are right in this case, but any major change in climate, whether it be warming or cooling, will cause a large increase in the rate of extinctions.

Oh, nonsense. It was warmer in the Middle Ages than it is today. It was colder in the 1770’s than it has been in this century. Look at the damn records for longer than the last half-century, for Muir’s sake. You’re just parroting the assertions of the scaremongers and engaging in “proof because I mean well”.

You mean like Holland?

“Let them build dikes.” – Marie Antoinette (paraphrased).