[Glossika] The glommed up reference thread

Maybe the variabilty of the populous country censor - but today is the first time I have seen this forum for a long time - I have learned to navigate all other forums before clicking on “Human Rights” because my connection to segue suddenly dies for some reason when I click on it. Must be something in the name:))

Mysteriously it comes back (Segue) if I shut down ADSL and connect again - thank goodness for random TCP addreses.

:imp:

An unregistered and illegal company called GLOSSIKA has recently stepped up its aggressive intimidation campaign against both freelancers and competitors it deems “undesired”.

“Undesired” in for GLOSSIKA means any professional translators or competitors who actually take honor in their work and try to provide good quality.

GLOSSIKA exists by not being registered, having no registered office, not paying any taxes and underpaying (on average they pay 50% under the market price) and paying their translators only partly or not at all (claiming bad quality as the reason).

This last few days a number of free-lancers that have spoken out to GLOSSIKA in public, as well as some competitors have “mysteriously” all been raided by either the police, the tax squad or immigration officials. Every time they were specifically after those that have spoken out.

In Taiwan some anonymous phone calls to the right place is all it takes to bring such a raid on…

Fair competition should be based on service, quality and pricing, and not on these mafia-like practices. The tactics GLOSSIKA is using damage both the industry in general as well as the reputation of foreign professionals in Taiwan.

I/we would like to collect more information of other people that have also had wonderful experiences with this illegal GLOSSIKA outfit, so that we can see how to tackle this baby…

If any of you have had dealings with GLOSSIKA, James/Jim/Michael/Peter Campbell or Fiona/Monique Campbell/Chui (forgive me if I forgot some aliases), please post these experiences here, or if you feel more comfortable, email them to: kill_glossika@yahoo.com

(I apologize for the yahoo handle, but it seems that a couple of dozen yahoo and hotmail handles with GLOSSIKA in it were all taken)

Needless to say that I strongly recommend all free-lancers not to work for an illegal outfit like GLOSSIKA. When they are going down, and they will, it would not help any freelancers to be in the fallout zone at that time…

If you are looking for translation work, there is a number of good, honest companies in Taiwan (can’t advertise them here) If you are interested, drop an email to the same address and I’ll email you contact info for some of these good companies.

Glossika did not hire these individuals for several reasons and has nothing to do with such accusations against Glossika. If anybody feels something is illegal about the company, then please contact us directly or our lawyers. If you feel that your suggestions would be helpful then contact us directly. This is a .tw website under the jurisdiction of Taiwan law.

My friend checked with the Ministry of Economic Affairs. Glossika (whether under their English name or Chinese name) is not legally registered to do business in Taiwan. As such, it is an illegal company.

Also, I found out that the segue.com.tw site is on a server in California. Hence, the courts in Taiwan will not have any jurisdiction over such a case.

So, sorry Glossika and friends, you can take your threats of legal action elsewhere. Also, I suggest that you move your office, before the MOEA takes action against you for operating illegally.

Glossika, you are clearly being badly advised as so far you have demonstrated that you can’t tell the difference between a domain name and a website, and haven’t bothered to even discover the location of this server. Furthermore, we are unable to contact your “lawyer” as you have not supplied their name or address. Or is this “lawyer” business supposed to be intimidatory ? Why would anyone here want to contact your lawyers ? I haven’t seen any complaints here about “Glossika’s lawyers”. Anyway keep us up to date on the progress of any legal action you take - I enjoy a good joke as much as the next man. Oh yes, and please make multiple posts in all the forums, we wouldn’t want to miss out on your mumblings…

Gosh, if anybody needs to contact “Glossika, Inc’s” lawyers, I’d use the lawyer’s name and address which was, once again, conveniently provided to me on the threatening letter I received from “Glossika, Inc.” last Thursday morning. That would be:

[color=red]陳律師、葛律師[sic]
明理法律事務所
北市重慶南路三段57號4F[/color]

In Pinyin:
Chen2 lv4shi1, Ge1 lv4shi1
ming2li3 fa3lv4 shi4wu4suo3
4F, No. 57, Chongqing S. Road Sec. 3, Taipei

I understand that “Lawyer Chen” speaks pretty fair English, too. So I’m sure it would be very convenient for anyone to speak to him. :smiley: He does not seem to too busy to take time to speak to people, either, which is very kind of him.

Of course I do not know whether anyone at this law office is actually the attorney of record on any particular proceeding, as the threatening letter I received merely listed these two individuals as the recipients of a copy of that august document.

All replies to this GLOSSIKA posting have been moved to the open forum to allow everybody both to have a good laugh and an easier way to reply.

Also, please check GLOSSIKAs own posting on this forum for a good laugh

I have read some of the postings on your site regarding Glossika with interest.

Our company has a local subsidiary in Taiwan. Charlene, one of the ladies in our office did contact Glossika early this year to discuss possible outsourcing of material to this so-called “international high-quality” company.

The folks at Glossika however were the rudest people she has yet dealt with in Taiwan. The were extremely aggresive on the phone and very paranoid.

On the phone they pressed for detailed company info. Charlene used the English name for our company, IMS during these proceedings. Several minutes later she received a angry phone call from the people at Glossika, accusing her that our company is “not registered” and that she “is lying”

Needless to say she cut the conversation short and we never otsourced to Glossika. Later that day a fax (without return fax number or sender name) arrived with the following(QUOTE):

IMS

HOW COME AIN’T NOBODY EVER HEARD OF YOU?

For the records, contrary to glossika IMS is a real, Taiwan registered company, with its office on the corner of Fushing and Hsin-Yi Rd in Taipei.
We have close to 40 people here in our Taiwan office, our tax ID number does show up on the government computer, and we DO pay or taxes.

It’s amazing to hear about the absolute lack of manners of these peole. We, IMS, are also part of the service industry, but IMS does not allow its employees to be this abusive.

I fully endorse the recommendation not to work for, or outsource to Glossika

Could someone shift the above into the main existing Glossika thread?

You forgot to tell everyone the URL of the Open Forum Glossika thread.

I post this here, because this message was removed from the Open Forum. Richard Hartzell may be kind enough to allow this post to remain. Other moderators like deleting Glossika’s posts.

Terry Thatcher:

1. Terry, this is correct, 雅捷/Glossika is not using this lawyer anymore because he is more specialized in a separate area of law and this was agreed upon by both parties after you received our letter. According to the law, this letter was a 存證信函, not a threat. In case anybody needs clearer information, we have already met with new legal advisors (an attorney and a partner at Lee, Tsai & Partners) who are willing to start, however we have not entered into a formal contract yet.
  2. We respect everybody’s ideas and comments, however this forum has already become very childish. We have no intention to pay attention to false claims by anonymous writers and we welcome everybody to look at facts before making judgment.
  3. 雅捷/Glossika has been under investigation by authorities numerous times already for many months. It was mentioned before, yes anonymous calls can cause this to happen. We have no idea whether this has happened to others (although it is obvious now), but perhaps a third party is involved in setting others up. Again, it is childish. If anything in this forum were true, we would have been closed down long ago.
  4. On Friday, November 8, two intruders forced entry into our building at 15:44 and past the security guards with unclear motives, but obviously in an attempt to cause trouble–nobody knew what kind of weapons could have been concealed in their bag. The intruders ran out at approximately 15:55 after running around several floors, taking pictures, and causing mischief. The police quickly arrived on the scene. The police have already identified Terry Thatcher as one of the intruders from the video footage. The police will most likely identify the accompanying man shortly. 雅捷/Glossika proceeded to make a report about this incident and Terry Thatcher’s motives for causing 雅捷/Glossika’s “downfall”. Security is being increased. Terry, what is your alibi from 15:44 to 15:55 on Friday? Good job for a PhD :blush: !

朱彬彬

This message has been erased many times in the other forum, so we will post it in your own forum:

Terry Thatcher:

1. Terry, this is correct, 雅捷/Glossika is not using this lawyer anymore because he is more specialized in a separate area of law and this was agreed upon by both parties after you received our letter. According to the law, this letter was a 存證信函, not a threat. In case anybody needs clearer information, we have already met with new legal advisors (an attorney and a partner at Lee, Tsai & Partners) who are willing to start, however we have not entered into a formal contract yet.
  2. We respect everybody’s ideas and comments, however this forum has already become very childish. We have no intention to pay attention to false claims by anonymous writers and we welcome everybody to look at facts before making judgment.
  3. 雅捷/Glossika has been under investigation by authorities numerous times already for many months. It was mentioned before, yes anonymous calls can cause this to happen. We have no idea whether this has happened to others (although it is obvious now), but perhaps a third party is involved in setting others up. Again, it is childish. If anything in this forum were true, we would have been closed down long ago.
  4. On Friday, November 8, two intruders forced entry into our building at 15:44 and past the security guards with unclear motives, but obviously in an attempt to cause trouble–nobody knew what kind of weapons could have been concealed in their bag. The intruders ran out at approximately 15:55 after running around several floors, taking pictures, and causing mischief. The police quickly arrived on the scene. The police have already identified Terry Thatcher as one of the intruders from the video footage. The police will most likely identify the accompanying man shortly. 雅捷/Glossika proceeded to make a report about this incident and Terry Thatcher’s motives for causing 雅捷/Glossika’s “downfall”. Security is being increased. Terry, what is your alibi from 15:44 to 15:55 on Friday? Good job for a PhD :blush: !

朱彬彬

Terry Thatcher:

1. Terry, this is correct, 雅捷(ya-jie)/Glossika is not using this lawyer anymore because he is more specialized in a separate area of law and this was agreed upon by both parties after you received our letter. According to the law, this letter was a 存證信函(cun-zheng-xin-han), not a threat. In case anybody needs clearer information, we have already met with new legal advisors (an attorney and a partner at Lee, Tsai & Partners) who are willing to start, however we have not entered into a formal contract yet.
  3. 雅捷(ya-jie)/Glossika has been under investigation by authorities numerous times already for many months. It was mentioned before, yes anonymous calls can cause this to happen. We have no idea whether this has happened to others (although it is obvious now), but perhaps a third party is involved in setting others up. Again, it is childish. If anything in this forum were true, we would have been closed down long ago.
  4. On Friday, November 8, two intruders forced entry into our building at 15:44 and past the security guards with unclear motives, but obviously in an attempt to cause trouble–nobody knew what kind of weapons could have been concealed in their bag. The intruders ran out at approximately 15:55 after running around several floors, taking pictures, and causing mischief. The police quickly arrived on the scene. The police have already identified Terry Thatcher as one of the intruders from the video footage. The police will most likely identify the accompanying man shortly. 雅捷(ya-jie)/Glossika proceeded to make a report about this incident and Terry Thatcher’s motives for causing 雅捷(ya-jie)/Glossika’s “downfall”. Security is being increased. Terry, what is your alibi from 15:44 to 15:55 on Friday? Good job for a PhD :blush: !

朱彬彬(zhu-bin-bin)

Terry Thatcher:

1. Terry, this is correct, 雅捷(ya-jie)/Glossika is not using this lawyer anymore because he is more specialized in a separate area of law and this was agreed upon by both parties after you received our letter. According to the law, this letter was a 存證信函(cun-zheng-xin-han), not a threat. In case anybody needs clearer information, we have already met with new legal advisors (an attorney and a partner at Lee, Tsai & Partners) who are willing to start, however we have not entered into a formal contract yet.
  3. 雅捷(ya-jie)/Glossika has been under investigation by authorities numerous times already for many months. It was mentioned before, yes anonymous calls can cause this to happen. We have no idea whether this has happened to others (although it is obvious now), but perhaps a third party is involved in setting others up. Again, it is childish. If anything in this forum were true, we would have been closed down long ago.
  4. On Friday, November 8, two intruders forced entry into our building at 15:44 and past the security guards with unclear motives, but obviously in an attempt to cause trouble–nobody knew what kind of weapons could have been concealed in their bag. The intruders ran out at approximately 15:55 after running around several floors, taking pictures, and causing mischief. The police quickly arrived on the scene. The police have already identified Terry Thatcher as one of the intruders from the video footage. The police will most likely identify the accompanying man shortly. 雅捷(ya-jie)/Glossika proceeded to make a report about this incident and Terry Thatcher’s motives for causing 雅捷(ya-jie)/Glossika’s “downfall”. Security is being increased. Terry, what is your alibi from 15:44 to 15:55 on Friday? Good job for a PhD :blush: !

朱彬彬(zhu-bin-bin)

Confucius say, “Thou shalt not double [or triple, or quadruple] post.”

See Learning Chinese forum.

This website and the moderators of the Open Forum and Learning Chinese forum take liberty to change people’s postings–the actually content of those postings especially if what you write is against their own opinions.

Please be aware!

If you don’t write your message mean enough, they’ll help you make it meaner. If you write your message against their own opinions, they will delete it for you or change the contents to match their own opinions. Glossika does not make assumption that Richard Hartzell would do this.

Dear Richard: Do you commend this behaviour? Is this the kind of community you wish to be associated with?

Do you know that Glossika had to post a single message multiple times because it was being deleted every time it was posted? Are the moderators trying to hide something or trying to prevent themselves from losing face for their previous comments?

No editing of content or deleting was done by this mod. But, I totally support any actions deemed necessary by my co-moderator or any other moderator on Segue.

Dear Terry:

Exactly correct. Glossika/雅捷 cut off correspondence with you because we did not need your services. It is true that you have the credentials and experience to qualify as a translator. However, you did not have the qualifications to work for Glossika/雅捷. Glossika/雅捷 does not need to consider anybody who is demanding and uncooperative, as we will consider this person unqualified for the job.

You didn’t set up an appointment. And based on your recent comments, all security are looking out for you to come and stir up trouble. We do not understand what you want to discuss: there is nothing to discuss, so no, you cannot have a meeting with us.

The building is not a public building. That’s why there are guards. And yes the “physique” and size of you and your friend were very intimidating and the guard was unable to stop you. That is why the police were notified.

If you were coming for a meeting, then why didn’t you knock on the door? And why were you running around all the different floors? You obviously know the address and the phone number well. Did you have second doubts and couldn’t face us once you arrived?

Please consider that you and the other moderators are taking the liberty of deleting posts at will. It took numerous attempts to post the first message titled Letter to Terry Thatcher. If somebody is scared of our response, then please reconsider your initial posts.

This is a repost in case the other post is deleted.

Dear Terry:

Exactly correct. Glossika/雅捷 cut off correspondence with you because we did not need your services. It is true that you have the credentials and experience to qualify as a translator. However, you did not have the qualifications to work for Glossika/雅捷. Glossika/雅捷 does not need to consider anybody who is demanding and uncooperative, as we will consider this person unqualified for the job.

You didn’t set up an appointment. And based on your recent comments, all security are looking out for you to come and stir up trouble. We do not understand what you want to discuss: there is nothing to discuss, so no, you cannot have a meeting with us.

The building is not a public building. That’s why there are guards. And yes the “physique” and size of you and your friend were very intimidating and the guard was unable to stop you. That is why the police were notified.

If you were coming for a meeting, then why didn’t you knock on the door? And why were you running around all the different floors? You obviously know the address and the phone number well. Did you have second doubts and couldn’t face us once you arrived?

Please consider that you and the other moderators are taking the liberty of deleting posts at will. It took numerous attempts to post the first message titled Letter to Terry Thatcher. If somebody is scared of our response, then please reconsider your initial posts.

I do not understand why the moderators have decided to lock the Glossika thread. Sure it has had a huge number of hits in the week or so of its existence and 80+ replies. But is that not the goal of websites, to attract viewers and encourage discourse? Most websites would love to have the number of hits that this one thread has received in one week. Sure there are instances of cross posting but that is to be expected. Hell Glossika cross-posted today in 5 or 6 threads. This thread is controversial but it has a purpose whether you agree or not.

Oh yea and it is the OPEN forum which to me implies open not censored. The pet peeves thread has 166 replies and 4170+ views and it is unlocked.

Please do the Segue community a favor and unlock this thread.