[Glossika] The glommed up reference thread

Maoman,

You didn’t delete them, so maybe Alien did. And according to the above, you supported that action. What did you find wrong with the original (single) post that you saw this morning?

The moderators are the ones attacking Glossika. They don’t want to lose face. They also have the power to edit anybody’s article that does not comply with their opinions, then promptly lock it down so that it stays edited that way and can never be edited again.

[quote]I do not understand why the moderators have decided to lock the Glossika thread. Sure it has had a huge number of hits in the week or so of its existence and 80+ replies. But is that not the goal of websites, to attract viewers and encourage discourse? Most websites would love to have the number of hits that this one thread has received in one week. Sure there are instances of cross posting but that is to be expected. Hell Glossika cross-posted today in 5 or 6 threads. This thread is controversial but it has a purpose whether you agree or not.

Oh yea and it is the OPEN forum which to me implies open not censored. The pet peeves thread has 166 replies and 4170+ views and it is unlocked.

Please do the Segue community a favor and unlock this thread.[/quote]

Maybe the apologists may like to go here

cecc.gov/pages/roundtables/1 … dc8e0d8054

It is a long story but includes:

More recent developments of the Chinese firewall include:

1 Selectively blocking out content within a web site instead of blocking the entire site

2 Denying internet access for a certain amount of time to anyone searching for a banned keyword

3 Suppressing dissident comments in chat rooms, followed by a warning email to the user who made the comments

4 Logging Google keyword searches

Both of the first two above seem to have happened to me when accessing Segue. I am guessing the “key word” was “Whoman rites” :slight_smile:)

Segue’s “Human Rights” section appears to have been blocked with the above mechanism (1 and 2). Now it is OK. I guess they are still experimenting.

No 4 scares me.

Terry Thatcher PhD, Confucius is third person singular: your verb doesn’t agree with the subject. Since he has passed away, it is more appropriate to write “said”. In addition, Glossika cannot entirely agree with your statement including the fact that you and other moderators take the liberty of deleting posts at will.

By the way:

[quote]Terry Thatcher:

1. Terry, this is correct, 雅捷/Glossika is not using this lawyer anymore because he is more specialized in a separate area of law and this was agreed upon by both parties after you received our letter. According to the law, this letter was a 存證信函, not a threat. In case anybody needs clearer information, we have already met with new legal advisors (an attorney and a partner at Lee, Tsai & Partners) who are willing to start, however we have not entered into a formal contract yet.
  2. We respect everybody’s ideas and comments, however this forum has already become very childish. We have no intention to pay attention to false claims by anonymous writers and we welcome everybody to look at facts before making judgment.
  3. 雅捷/Glossika has been under investigation by authorities numerous times already for many months. It was mentioned before, yes anonymous calls can cause this to happen. We have no idea whether this has happened to others (although it is obvious now), but perhaps a third party is involved in setting others up. Again, it is childish. If anything in this forum were true, we would have been closed down long ago.
  4. On Friday, November 8, two intruders forced entry into our building at 15:44 and past the security guards with unclear motives, but obviously in an attempt to cause trouble–nobody knew what kind of weapons could have been concealed in their bag. The intruders ran out at approximately 15:55 after running around several floors, taking pictures, and causing mischief. The police quickly arrived on the scene. The police have already identified Terry Thatcher as one of the intruders from the video footage. The police will most likely identify the accompanying man shortly. 雅捷/Glossika proceeded to make a report about this incident and Terry Thatcher’s motives for causing 雅捷/Glossika’s “downfall”. Security is being increased. Terry, what is your alibi from 15:44 to 15:55 on Friday? Good job for a PhD!

朱彬彬

This must be cross-listed on this website so that nobody has any doubts.

Dear Terry:

Exactly correct. Glossika/雅捷 cut off correspondence with you because we did not need your services. It is true that you have the credentials and experience to qualify as a translator. However, you did not have the qualifications to work for Glossika/雅捷. Glossika/雅捷 does not need to consider anybody who is demanding and uncooperative, as we will consider this person unqualified for the job.

You didn’t set up an appointment. And based on your recent comments, all security are looking out for you to come and stir up trouble. We do not understand what you want to discuss: there is nothing to discuss, so no, you cannot have a meeting with us.

The building is not a public building. That’s why there are guards. And yes the “physique” and size of you and your friend were very intimidating and the guard was unable to stop you. That is why the police were notified.

If you were coming for a meeting, then why didn’t you knock on the door? And why were you running around all the different floors? You obviously know the address and the phone number well. Did you have second doubts and couldn’t face us once you arrived?

Please consider that you and the other moderators are taking the liberty of deleting posts at will. It took numerous attempts to post the first message titled Letter to Terry Thatcher. If somebody is scared of our response, then please reconsider your initial posts.[/quote]

Guess what Glossy?
I didn’t delete the post. I stuck it somewhere else for the time being (you cannot see it). You made accusations about Terry on the thread, and so, I moved it out of her best interest. You also posted it on multiple forums which is unacceptable.
I don’t feel I have to explain my actions to you. You’ve stirred up enough trouble on this site and have spammed the boards on several occassions.
If you have something more constructive to post than complaints, I welcome your input. If not, I’d prefer you post on other forums. The Open Forum is already glutted.

By the way, are you dense, or don’t you realise that you’ve only made yourself look worse in this matter? Before your accusations, I had never heard of your company, nor had many others.
Now we all know that translation work best not be found at Glossicka.

Quit spamming the boards with spurious messages and threats and maybe they won’t be deleted.

Limit each post to one forum, but please, keep posting! Its so much fun for us to watch yourselves digging yourselves deeper and deeper into the shit.

Jimmy Campbell, you seem to be the more rational member of your marital team, and you really should consider trying some verbal kaolin on your wife rather than just running around trying to scoop up the piles of shite she keeps squirting out all over the place.

Gie her a fuckin’ slap, man, she’s pure makin’ ye look like a plook!

Is anybody else getting fed up with glossika’s antics on these boards?

copious postings across many boards, ever present on the boards, are they trying to create an atmosphere of fear or what?

Do you have any way to remove them from Segue?

[quote=“Alien”]Guess what Glossy?
I didn’t delete the post. I stuck it somewhere else for the time being (you cannot see it). You made accusations about Terry on the thread, and so, I moved it out of her best interest. [/quote]

Glossika may have made accusations today (Nov 9) about Terry/ironlady but it all began Nov 2 when Albert and Terry started slamming Glossika.

segue.com.tw/viewtopic.php?t=5937&start=0

If there is any editing to Glossika’s postings, absolutely no way will Glossika take the responsibility for those changes! The moderators can and will change postings randomly (Alien and supported by Maoman).

[quote]Terry Thatcher:

1. Terry, this is correct, 雅捷/Glossika is not using this lawyer anymore because he is more specialized in a separate area of law and this was agreed upon by both parties after you received our letter. According to the law, this letter was a 存證信函, not a threat. In case anybody needs clearer information, we have already met with new legal advisors (an attorney and a partner at Lee, Tsai & Partners) who are willing to start, however we have not entered into a formal contract yet.
  2. We respect everybody’s ideas and comments, however this forum has already become very childish. We have no intention to pay attention to false claims by anonymous writers and we welcome everybody to look at facts before making judgment.
  3. 雅捷/Glossika has been under investigation by authorities numerous times already for many months. It was mentioned before, yes anonymous calls can cause this to happen. We have no idea whether this has happened to others (although it is obvious now), but perhaps a third party is involved in setting others up. Again, it is childish. If anything in this forum were true, we would have been closed down long ago.
  4. On Friday, November 8, two intruders forced entry into our building at 15:44 and past the security guards with unclear motives, but obviously in an attempt to cause trouble–nobody knew what kind of weapons could have been concealed in their bag. The intruders ran out at approximately 15:55 after running around several floors, taking pictures, and causing mischief. The police quickly arrived on the scene. The police have already identified Terry Thatcher as one of the intruders from the video footage. The police will most likely identify the accompanying man shortly. 雅捷/Glossika proceeded to make a report about this incident and Terry Thatcher’s motives for causing 雅捷/Glossika’s “downfall”. Security is being increased. Terry, what is your alibi from 15:44 to 15:55 on Friday? Good job for a PhD!

朱彬彬

This must be cross-listed on this website so that nobody has any doubts.

Dear Terry:

Exactly correct. Glossika/雅捷 cut off correspondence with you because we did not need your services. It is true that you have the credentials and experience to qualify as a translator. However, you did not have the qualifications to work for Glossika/雅捷. Glossika/雅捷 does not need to consider anybody who is demanding and uncooperative, as we will consider this person unqualified for the job.

You didn’t set up an appointment. And based on your recent comments, all security are looking out for you to come and stir up trouble. We do not understand what you want to discuss: there is nothing to discuss, so no, you cannot have a meeting with us.

The building is not a public building. That’s why there are guards. And yes the “physique” and size of you and your friend were very intimidating and the guard was unable to stop you. That is why the police were notified.

If you were coming for a meeting, then why didn’t you knock on the door? And why were you running around all the different floors? You obviously know the address and the phone number well. Did you have second doubts and couldn’t face us once you arrived?

Please consider that you and the other moderators are taking the liberty of deleting posts at will. It took numerous attempts to post the first message titled Letter to Terry Thatcher. If somebody is scared of our response, then please reconsider your initial posts.[/quote]

Glossika I am a little confused, you mention that you have had multiple posts removed by the moderators yet I see your “letter” posting in multiple threads. As an example why is it in the “Learning Chinese” forum. I do not think it fits in this particular forum. Please tell me is there another post that has disappeared?

I am not that informed about this whole deal. I only see a ton of threads and postings in regards to Glossika.

And to the moderators would it not be a wise idea to consolidate all the different Glossika related threads/posts to two forums say the Open and Legal forums as they kind of fit into these two areas. It might make it easier to understand and view. And maybe not make it a personal issue for the moderators. Decisions should be made on what best serves the Segue community as a whole and not just individuals(unless there are direct legal ramifications for such individuals)

Dear ,

Very true, but several people started the thread after having been either raided by the police and/or receiving threathening registered letters from the friendly folks at Glossika (please see Open Forum)

Since so many people have become involved I have just been reading the threads. I do not think locking or deleting them would be fair, since abvously they serve a purpose, but at the same time, could we please centralise all the threads and stop cross-posting? It will make for much easier reading for everybody.

So, for all posts: perhaps one thread in legal, one in open?

:slight_smile:

Fine. It’s unlocked. We were just responding to some complaints. Get ready for one hell of a big “merge”, though, becausde of all the spamming/cross-posting going on.

Glossika/James/Jim/Liebling/Bin Bin: frankly I don’t think you have a leg to stand on. Aren’t you just a little embarrassed by now? :blush:

[quote=“sandman”]

Gie her a fuckin’ slap, man, she’s pure makin’ ye look like a plook![/quote]

Sandman! I do not advocate physical abuse of females, and neither should you! :shock:

And by the way Sloggika, I have never edited or changed a single one of your ridiculous posts. I wouldn’t waste my time.

MERGE
THIS!
:imp: :imp: :imp:

Yeah, yeah, Alien, I know. But its only a cyber slap, after all, and you must admit it sounds a bit punchier than: “Remonstrate gently wi’ her, man, she’s pure makin’ ye look like a plook!” :wink:

Can we have a poll for the stupidest-ever thread? I think this Glossika drivel would top the list.

Segue and the moderators should consider the various law suits filed by Dr. Laurence Godfrey, a British lecturer. He’s sued people and ISP’s (including Demon UK) all over the world for defamation…and won. Do a search for Laurence Godfrey on Google and you’ll see what I mean. It started out at soc.culture.thai and spread…

So does that mean that Terry can sue the Glossicocks and make a fortune? I’d say go for it. Actually, I think she’s got that in mind…

Thing is, I didn’t gave a fart about this whole issue until the spammings began in earnest. I basically ignored the original threads because it’s so clearly a fruitcake frenzy.

But now I’m seriously pissed off.
I logged onto the site this morning, which I hadn’t really looked at for a couple days due to more important things in my LIFE, and clicked on “posts since last visit” and found the whole damn page was full of Glossickos.
They’re like the plague, they are. And there must be some kind of innoculation.

[quote=“Alien”]So does that mean that Terry can sue the Glossicocks and make a fortune? I’d say go for it. Actually, I think she’s got that in mind…
[/quote]

I think it means Glossika could sue Terry and Segue. As I said in a previous message, this whole mess here looks to have started on Nov 2 with Albert and Terry bad-mouthing Glossika.

segue.com.tw/viewtopic.php?t=5937&start=0

And, since Gus is in Singapore, just remember, defamation on the internet is very serious there…the government tends to whack one’s pee-pee pretty hard. If you have one, of course! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi,

In the hope of helping a situation that is growing more complicated and affecting more forums, I’ve created a special place for conflicts between Segue members: the Controversial Threads Forum

I’m asking the moderators to move ALL posts concerning Glossika to this new forum. This will address the desire for action on the forums.

Hopefully, this episode will resolve itself sooner than later – “this too shall pass.” At that time, I will move/remove the posts and hide the forum (for future use).

Please note: this Glossika episode has become a very sticky one. Anyone who posts messages in the Controversy Forum that seek to inflame or ridicule the situation will be banned for a week or more asap. Guest posts are disabled in this forum

gus@segue.com.tw

I’ve moved threads from the following forums:

Open Forum
Learning Chinese
Legal Matters
Feedback & Announcements

I did NOT leave any “moved links”

Please report any posts/threads that you think belong in the Cotnroversial Threads forum.

Phew! Now, can we all move on?

There are a few prerequisites for suing someone for libel.

First, the forum must be public. For the Taiwan situation, and considering double registrations, being viewed by fewer than 3,000 people (all of whom must have a fairly sophisticated level of English to follow all this; it must be bewildering for the average Chinese!) out of the 23 million population of mostly non-English literate Chinese, that doesn’t fit.

Second, the content must be untrue. I can back up every single thing I’ve ever posted on these fora (again, with the exeception of some comments about Romanization.) I have 15 years of experience in this field plus a Ph.D., and am considered something of an authority in the field (if I do say so myself! :laughing: ) Therefore, it is appropriate for me to voice my opinion if I wish to do so, particularly if it is prefaced with “I think”, “people say” and so forth.

Third, anyone perusing Glossika’s original threatenlng letter to me dated Oct. 30 and comparing it with James Campbell’s “call off the dogs” e-mail (conveniently originally posted with English translation in the “Learning Chinese” thread where Glossika posted this morning, now probably here somewhere??) can see that apparently Glossika themselves feel that there is no reasonable basis for libel, and that I have “never been targeted”. If I have “never been targeted”, then targeting me now seems, well, schizophrenic and inappropriate.

I could just as well report:

[color=red]…fingerprints have been lifted off the letter I received last week and . . . . . The police have already identified Zhu Binbin as one of the composers of this message. The police will most likely identify the other perpetrators shortly. Relevant parties have proceeded to make a report about this incident and investigate Zhu Binbin’s motives for causing an innocent graduate student’s “downfall”. Security is being increased.[/color]

It’s all rather juvenile and foolish, except that people keep it going. And if they are going to keep it going, I’m going to keep it in a public forum. That’s the protection a democracy and freedom of speech offers. And as we have seen in his Internet posts, “James Campbell” is very much for freedom of speech.

Personally it is a mystery to me why Fiona Chu et al. spend so much time trying to wreak havoc. Her English is really very good; she could obviously make a very good living as an ordinary, unoffensive translator. I have not spoken to “James” personally so don’t know his particular linguistic situation, but his posts to various on-line fora show a deep knowledge of Chinese dialectology. With so much going for them, it’s unfortunate that they don’t channel all those gifts in a more useful direction.

Just my NT$0.66, your mileage may vary.