Gogomedia vs Digizon vs Slingbox

Anybody use Gogomedia and like it? How is it? When I was in Taiwan back in Dec 2008 getting married, I bought a Digizon to install in my wife’s family’s home cable so that my parents who are in Vancouver, Canada can watch Taiwanese shows.

After using it for about a month or so, it appears not to be as good as Sling (which I have installed in my Vancouver home - I’m in Tennessee currently)… I use the Sling to get my fix of watching hockey games.

So, since my wife will be joining me in Tennessee very soon, we were thinking of getting another box - Gogomedia (adigit.com.tw/) and was wondering what peoples’ views were on this product. If it’s bad, I will be going with Sling as we’ve had pretty good success with it than the Digizon. Not sure if it’s my Vancouver’s Internet connection that is more stable than my wife’s in Taiwan, but that’s my unsubstantiated conclusion at the moment. Only way to find out is to get a Sling and set it up at the Taipei home.

Anyways, any input from 1st hand users would be much appreciated!!

[quote=“cestmoi”] So, since my wife will be joining me in Tennessee very soon, we were thinking of getting another box - Gogomedia (adigit.com.tw/) and was wondering what peoples’ views were on this product. If it’s bad, I will be going with Sling as we’ve had pretty good success with it than the Digizon. Not sure if it’s my Vancouver’s Internet connection that is more stable than my wife’s in Taiwan, but that’s my unsubstantiated conclusion at the moment. Only way to find out is to get a Sling and set it up at the Taipei home.

Anyways, any input from 1st hand users would be much appreciated!![/quote]

HAVA have better picture quality than slings and digizon HAVA’s stay clearer on faster action. Not seen the gogomedia but the website doesnt have much on the pruct really.

Problem is Taiwans Cable TV is Analogue… you can also try myhava.com as it allows remote recording and is better than both sling and digizon… I have all 3 and sony location free and tv2me systems…

My speeds are always consistant and even during CNY at the peak usage never dropped off… These are the 10mb 2mb lines for clients… as you can see they get more than :smiley:

However you key to good quality is always your uploads speeds, my clients are getting from a minumum 2.5mb upwards,
Some have 3mb, 4mb, 5mb, or even 10mb if they want it.

Do you know what upload speeds your wife has? You can see my upload speeds from this link. I have fiber to my office with my own hubs and switches, sort of cheating a bit lol… Tier1 backbone lines

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=76286

Anyways sling have an office in Taiwan so you can get remote IR codes if you decide to stream MOD instead of just plain cable TV.

Never heard of Hava… I’ll have to check it out. By the way, how much $$ does it cost? I bought Digizon for about $5500NT in Dec 2008 and it allows up to two clients to log on concurrently to view TV; however, the first person logged on controls the channel.

Will Hava allow multiple concurrent log ons? If so, can more than one person control channels? Ideal, but not necessary. What is necessary is that it allows at least two concurrent log ons which is what Digizon offers and not Sling.

Apparently Gogomedia allows multiple logons but I’d like some live testimony first.

Wow, I just noticed that your speeds are incredible! My wife’s family recently upgraded their Hinet connection to 10Mb/s optical line which showed speed test of ~9000kbps Dwn and ~ 1500 UP…

Well HAVA have different models. Not allowed dual conenctions, for now. Multple streams will be allowed. Go to myhava.com for prices.

However for 2 users such as digizon you are sharing upload bandwidth. SO you really need to ensure that each gets 1mb each. I have faster lines available as I said.

I don’t share my fiber with others. I have my own private fiber line to office. So therefore I dont have modems, or telephone lines. So you have both of those, plus you share your hub with others in the building.

[color=#0000FF]THis is the speed from a 5mb upload line for cleints. [/color]

How much better picture quality do you get with TV2me if you compare with Hava platinum?
If I want to watch sports remotely on a 32 inch TV.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“cestmoi”] So, since my wife will be joining me in Tennessee very soon, we were thinking of getting another box - Gogomedia (adigit.com.tw/) and was wondering what peoples’ views were on this product. If it’s bad, I will be going with Sling as we’ve had pretty good success with it than the Digizon. Not sure if it’s my Vancouver’s Internet connection that is more stable than my wife’s in Taiwan, but that’s my unsubstantiated conclusion at the moment. Only way to find out is to get a Sling and set it up at the Taipei home.

HAVA have better picture quality than slings and digizon HAVA’s stay clearer on faster action. Not seen the gogomedia but the website doesnt have much on the pruct really.

Problem is Taiwans Cable TV is Analogue… you can also try myhava.com as it allows remote recording and is better than both sling and digizon… I have all 3 and sony location free and tv2me systems…

My speeds are always consistant and even during CNY at the peak usage never dropped off… These are the 10mb 2mb lines for clients… as you can see they get more than :smiley:

[/quote]

[quote=“Gmyrek”]How much better picture quality do you get with TV2me if you compare with Hava platinum?
If I want to watch sports remotely on a 32 inch TV.[/quote]

TV2Me is very good, but at TV2Me® is US $4,750, FOB New York City you need to really want it. Which is why people use the cheaper slings and HAVA units.

Then give it a heap or broadband…

You can watch your sports remotely with any of the streaming systems on a TV.

holy shit. for $4750, i’d rather get myself a fabulous HD tv with the works and enough left over for theatrical sound!

my wife was able to get a gogomedia distributor/retailer to demo their product and it appears ok - what i like about gogomedia is that it allows independent turning of channels (though if one changes, then it will change for all) and up to 20 people to remotely view (you’d have to have excellent bandwidth host though!).

i had a bit of trouble setting up the gogomedia client to view at first due to my firewall blocking something (though my firewall never blocked my digizon), but it got fixed with a quick boot of my firewall.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Gmyrek”]How much better picture quality do you get with TV2me if you compare with Hava platinum?
If I want to watch sports remotely on a 32 inch TV.[/quote]

TV2Me is very good, but at TV2Me® is US $4,750, FOB New York City you need to really want it. Which is why people use the cheaper slings and HAVA units.

Then give it a heap or broadband…

You can watch your sports remotely with any of the streaming systems on a TV.[/quote]

Great, channel fights… HAVA will allow multicasting shortly, unlimited remote viewers, you can allow free acces, or guest logins… but only admin, like digizon, controls the viewing content.

I can go to 100mb uploads on each CAT6 line… I have a capacity of 1GB on each hub so I am sure I can provide enough bandwidth.

Hi!
Hava is a piece of crap. I’d rather recommend sling or digi. Of course each system has +/- .
If you have a 1,5 Mbits upload from home it should be enough for any system in reasonable quality.
Gogomedia is just a cheap copy of sling, so it is better buy an original design. Digi use better codec then sling, but also requires good upload link, and speed between peers.
On internet link between Taiwan and Canada or US won’t be possible to reach really good quality, delay (jitter) can be too big (If you can get 2 Mbits speed you are lucky).
I would try contact with pro companies eg. sat2me.com, and try upload link from them to compare quality between yours and theirs. I know that in Taiwan are at least a few companies which offer streaming.
I even won’t comment technical info like 1Gbits on a hub :frowning:. On local network you can stream usually up to 10-50 Mbits but most of streaming boxes limit their internet speed from 1Mbit’s (hava) up to 8Mbit’s (sling).

Regards,
Hans

[quote=“khan”]Hi! Hava is a piece of crap. I’d rather recommend sling or digi. Of course each system has +/- .If you have a 1,5 Mbits upload from home it should be enough for any system in reasonable quality. Digi use better codec then sling, [color=#0040FF]but also requires good upload link, and speed between peers[/color]

On internet link between Taiwan and Canada or US won’t be possible to reach really good quality, delay (jitter) can be too big (If you can get 2 Mbits speed you are lucky).
Regards,Hans[/quote]

Thanks for your comments. When was the last time your used a HAVA with the latest firmware?

Digizon have had lots of firmware issues, like regular drop off from the connection on fixed IP’s. I spent some time in their office with the tech guys going through a lot of issues. They finally issued a fix for drop off from fixed ip’s 31 December 2008. A January firmware upgrade also helped with other things.

The other issue is that the Digizon will blurr ( ghosting) on high speed action if bandwidth is not always sufficient. Of course you can adjust the streaming paramaters for lower speeds and lower resoltiuons as you well know. That can happen where people are on overseas links.

The HAVA in my opinion for this reason is consistantly better. SO if the OP is going to stream from Taiwan to Canada and the speed isn’t always there, he will find the HAVA has much better quality on remote connections.

I have just had a client in Taichung compare the Digizon on TV and the HAVA. As he needs the system for sports he decided to go with the HAVA, which certainly outperfomed the Digizon on TV in his bar, on his projector screen. Even the Digizon staff admit the HAVA is better when I showed them a HAVA stream on their projector sceen at their office. But Digizon are working hard on their known bug issues.

I have people in the USA on HAVA and they are very happy, mainly as the HAVA allows remote recording as well as live timeshifting on their PC’s, which means not needing an ADSL connection to view replays, and for the fact they can burn off recorded content to a DVD with the HAVA software. Timeshifting so users can go backwards and forwards though live content to view streams, is a nice feature.

You CAN’T do that with the Digizon.

All streaming systems have their pros and cons. Sling are having major problems with their firmware that has disabled many systems to slow speeds. The sling catcher also has a lot of bugs in it. All of my systems are uploaded at a minimum 2.5mb on fixed ip’s. They run pretty well at speed. Some sling users are using higher speed than that. But slings in any case reach their maximum potential at less than 1.5mb on remote speeds as you can’t improve their perfomance once the slings reach their maximum physical limits in 640 x 480 mode.

Faster streams dont really improve perfomance at over 1500kps for the slings wmv9 but the numbers look nice. Turn off the speed showing in preferences and then people concentrate on watching TV rather than looking at remote speeds.

The Digizons perform really well if you can keep their speeds up on remote at 3mb or 4mb. That’s not possible in some countries where clients only have a max 1mb download line.

As the OP is trying systems he can determine for himself what he likes best. :ponder:

[quote=“cestmoi”]n. Not sure if it’s my Vancouver’s Internet connection that is more stable than my wife’s in Taiwan, but that’s my unsubstantiated conclusion at the moment. Only way to find out is to get a Sling and set it up at the Taipei home.

You can always contact me by PM and I will give you access to a Sling, Digizon and the HAVA, on the same ssytems so you can compare what works best.

That way you can see before you come back to Taiwan to purchase.

Sorry to dredge this up but I’d like to post a review on Gogomedia… we’ve owned this piece of crap unit since February of 2009 and it’s now August 1, 2009. It’s overheated four times on us and died twice. I’ve had it on this second time where it died on us (unable to reboot). The first time they changed out the circuit board when it burned out. What kind of quality control is this?

On the other hand, we’ve had the Digizon since December 2008 and it’s still going strong…

I can’t find any reviews online about Gogomedia so I’m posting this.

adigit.com.tw/

[quote=“cestmoi”]Sorry to dredge this up but I’d like to post a review on Gogomedia… we’ve owned this piece of crap unit since February of 2009 and it’s now August 1, 2009. It’s overheated four times on us and died twice. I’ve had it on this second time where it died on us (unable to reboot). The first time they changed out the circuit board when it burned out. What kind of quality control is this?

On the other hand, we’ve had the Digizon since December 2008 and it’s still going strong…

I can’t find any reviews online about Gogomedia so I’m posting this.

adigit.com.tw/[/quote]

I tried the digizon but it really needs to keep the speeds above 1500 kpbs even with the ON TV box. It’s not very good on LCD screens and struggles with any high speed action.

Thanks for the tip about gogomedia but I never tried their gear in anycase.