Gogoro 2

They probably still use the same engine type as 30 years ago, just change the outside and put disc brakes, digital instruments.

1 Like

Can someone confirm if the Gogoroā€™s automatically turn on the indicator lights at turns? I was observing a neighbor on her Go girl doing a right and a left getting out of our alley and heard the electronic TUMP TUMP of the turn lights. Yep, they changed from left to right. I do not think she was that careful purposely.

I know they turn off automatically, but not sure about on. @ranlee could tell you if the Gogoro 2 does.

They do NOT turn on automatically when turning, but do automatically turn off after turning.

Iā€™m a bit confused, how can you make a right and a left at the same time?

First a right, then a left, to get out of our alley into the main road.

Turning on when turning would be a little too late, you need to indicate a turn way before you actually turn.

1 Like

Yeah, I know right?

Indicating youā€™re turningā€¦when already in the motion to turn. Might as wellā€¦not turn on your blinker.

Anyone else notice the many parking meter cops now have the gogoro now

Yes, thereā€™s one guy on a white Gogoro 2 that covers Da An MRT to Technology Building MRT area. See him almost every time I pass that area. I wonder if those parking meter workers get any kind of special incentives. They are somewhat public servants after all?

I saw some battery stations removed on a gas station on my way home. It was there, than it was gone, strange.

What are you playing a Gogoro Pokemon game?

Any idea whatā€™s the waiting time for a new Gogoro 2+ nowadays? And if foreigners based in Taipei City can currently get ANY of the subsidies/discounts? Now that Kymco forced them to offer the home charging thingy again, Iā€™m looking to buy one - used or new.

Regarding usedā€¦ any idea how/if the Gogoro monthly subscription can/needs to be transferred as well? Or is that person based, not vehicle based, and I just need to arrange it with Gogoro after I buy the vehicle?

People are reporting roughly 2 weeks to get paired and less than 2 weeks to riding off with one from the store. Soā€¦a bit under a month.

Youā€™re in luckā€¦I wrote a novel on how to buy one

Donā€™t forget to use yours truly as your referral person! I get a free Gogoro mug :smiley:

Kymco didnā€™t force them to do shite except reveal what that plug inside the seat compartment was for. Gogoro already had plans to dish out home charging for the G2 since the outlet was already available on every single G2 that initially went out.

If you act quick, you can get the home charger for a discounted price. I think itā€™s originally 3000+ and now itā€™s 1x00. Sorry for the rough guesstimates, I only got a glimpse of it when I went to the store yesterday.

I believe the subscription is vehicle based. However, it wouldnā€™t make sense for the previous owner to continue his subscription after the name on the vehicle is transferred to you. I assume Best to ask a sales rep on what the process is. If you need a suggestion, I know a good one at Rao He store.

With regards to buying second hand, make sure you do the math on the actual price that the seller paid for the vehicle. I often see second hand vehicles for 4-5000NT less than the prices after subsidiaries, in that case, might as well buy brand new. The wait time is short and itā€™s possible you get better warranty.

Thanks @ranlee , 1 month sounds not too bad. Iā€™m also checking with a store in parallel.

Great novel by the way, I now even remember I read it when it first was published :smiley: What name should I use for the referral, so you get your mug?

Hmmmā€¦ if I saw correctly, the new ā€œGoCharger Mobileā€ (charge the batteries inside the scooter, only Gogoro 2) was unveiled end of March 2018, only days after Kymcoā€™s Ionex announcement. That led me to the conclusion these two events, or at least the timing, might be related :wink:

Youā€™re right of course, Gogoro2 seems to be prepared from the start in terms of internal cabling - but as far as I understand you still need to have some connector part installed before you can use a ā€œGoCharger Mobileā€.

There was another home charging solution available before, the ā€œGoChargerā€ (charge the batteries outside of the scooter) - but mostly meant for businesses that wanted to offer battery charging. It seems in certain areas with few charging stations end users could rent this thingy during the first half of 2017.

Actually I would really prefer the old style battery charger solution, since this makes the whole system more independent. With the new style scooter charger solution, youā€™ll need to park the scooter near an outlet, and preferably somewhere the charger will not be stolenā€¦ But at least it gives a higher chance that the scooter/batteries can be used even in case the gogoro company eventually goes bankrupt. Of course that would work only after firmware hacks and/or gogoro server takeover - hopefully a thing that would be forced by the government in such an event.

Thatā€™s the one thing that could get me to buy a Gogoroā€“if I could own my batteries and take them up to my apartment to charge. And for the very same reason you mentioned about them possibly going bankrupt one day. But also so that Iā€™m not being locked in to a contract or gouged.

I think all you need is my license plate when you fill out your info.

Iā€™ll PM it to you.

@ranlee thanks, will do. I plan to possibly buy tomorrow, PM please :slight_smile:

To answer this question for others this is from the Gogoro website:

https://support.gogoro.com/en/faq/205562888#225277908

How can I transfer my Smartscooterā„¢ battery rental contract to another person?
Please follow these steps:

• Complete transfer in the Motor Vehicle Supervision Office.
  • Both the previous owner and the new owner will need to bring photo ID, batteries, both keyfobs, and the scooter to the Gogoro Service Center.
  • Both the previous owner and the new owner need to sign related documentation and pay off all outstanding bills. The Service Center will then register the new battery rental contract and activate battery service.

Just picked up my Gogoro 2 (not ā€œ+ā€) this Friday. Awesome :slight_smile:

For picking up the vehicle, my ā€œlukeā€ (local friend who applied for the government incentives, official owner of the vehicle) came with me - any unlike @ranlee 's experience they asked him to sign. I didnā€™t check if I could have picked it up alone, so just a heads up. Also, if you currently sign up you get 1500NT credit to use with the monthly fees. That doesnā€™t work with the cheapest monthly plan, but you can sign up for a more expensive plan first and use up that credit, then change the plan by app (can change once a month, changing page is only in chinese)

My experience so far:

• If something is wrong the ā€œ!ā€ Icon will show: Open your Gogoro app to see whats the issue. In my case it was for example just a warning ā€œCanā€™t turn on engine when side support is downā€

• Lots of fun to ride, very comfortable (at least compared to the super old tiny scooter I occasionally used before)

• Very enjoyable acceleration - even without paying 250NT per month for the ā€œfaster accelerationā€ option

• Definitely strong enough to go up pretty steep hills: With a 40kg passenger I easily reached > 60km/h going distinctively uphill from Neihu on Bishan Road towards Yangmin Shan. Also, on super steep side road to/from a strawberry farm there, no problem at all climbing (couldnā€™t go fast because of gravel road though).

• Allegedly it doesnā€™t make sense to steal a Gogoro, since you need to charge batteries and there the company could detect / block any stolen scooters easily

• App is in English (except for ā€œchanging monthly planā€ page). I only used it to change the ā€œrecuperationā€ setting to strong. That makes the scooter decelerate/break stronger once you stop accelerating, charging the batteries more. If you use that more instead of the actual brakes, it can help save power and increase range (and decrease break wear :stuck_out_tongue: ). You better turn this off when the road is slippery, like in rain, lest you accidentally break too hard and slip. A warning to German speakers: The display shows ā€œREGENā€ when this feature is on, so turn it off when there is actual ā€œRegenā€ (German for rain)

• Pretty big and clumsy, heavy. Iā€™m just not used to this kind of vehicleā€¦ I find it quite hard parking between other scooters, and easy to scratch the sides, which are unprotected.

• Not much space to put stuff, probably need accessories (drink holder, ā€¦)

• Although huge size, the trunk is not big enough to fit two helmets

• For the passenger it is not super convenient to hold on to the rear handle. Probably Iā€™ll get a cargo box for better passenger back support (Or get the silly biker t-shirt ā€œIf you can read this, the bitch fell offā€).

Next adventure will be to find out ā€œHow to pimp my Gogoroā€. I want a cargo box, fixed installed dashcam, mobile phone holder, ā€¦

Hint: If you buy a Gogoro and want to help @ranlee grow his Gogoro thermos mug collection, you can mention him as referral person. Simply show his guide to the Gogoro sales guys, they should be able to figure out whom to send the mug to from the page where he shows his registration papers.

3 Likes

Hey! Congrats on the new scoots! I forgot to PM you and say that Iā€™ve updated the guide and added a section to thank you for using me as a reference. Also to give me the opportunity to update the guide. Iā€™ve also started on a much delayed review. Hoping to get that out in half a month or so, but hitting some walls in terms of direction.

The hardest thing to get used to was having to restart my G2 after putting out the kickstand. I couldnā€™t count how many times I retracted it and pulled on the acceleration only to stay in place in the first few weeks.

Parking the thing is a huge pain in the ass. Itā€™s long and itā€™s fat and it doesnā€™t fit in the white scooters boxes everywhere. Wherever I go, I look for paid scooter parking. Most paid scooter parking is not meter, but by per usage. The most Iā€™ve paid is 30NT and the scoots was in there for well over half a day. If thereā€™s no paid parking, I try really hard not to park in white marked spots otherwise people scratch up on you or your license plate might get bent or scraped off by on-coming traffic.

Lastly, the referral promotion ended and there were different incentives for different amount of referrals. Small prizes were the Thermos mug, bluetooth headset, gloves and some store vouchers. The grand prize of 12 referrals was an all expense paid trip to Okinawa. I donā€™t think anyone achieved it.

If you ever want to get together and do some rides up Yang Ming Shan, hit me up. Itā€™s not really built for such thing, but nothing really beats some nice fresh air and the view at the top at faster speeds than my bicycle.