Gogoro electric scooter

[quote=“Yang Gui Zi”]Something I didn’t know, apparently the initial pricing also included 2 years of free battery swapping. Makes a big difference! And makes the new price cut not as big of a cut as it seems.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/1/9430971/gogoro-price-cut-gogoro-lite[/quote]

That was just for pre-orders. Definitely would have been worth it, because these guys also get refunded the difference between original and new price.

Apparently the first Gogoro-related death happened recently.

http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/local/20151012/709926/Gogoro%E9%9B%BB%E5%8B%95%E6%A9%9F%E8%BB%8A%E6%92%9E%E6%A8%B9%E3%80%80%E7%94%B7%E5%AD%90%E5%91%BD%E5%8D%B1%E9%80%81%E9%86%AB

hmmm sneaky.

Not exactly “Gogoro-related” death, is it? It’s a Taiwanese-driving-skills-related death. But it’s going to make one hell of a dent in their sales, which would be a highly desirable outcome for people who make their living from the petroleum industry.

[quote=“finley”]hmmm sneaky.

Not exactly “Gogoro-related” death, is it? It’s a Taiwanese-driving-skills-related death. But it’s going to make one hell of a dent in their sales, which would be a highly desirable outcome for people who make their living from the petroleum industry.[/quote]

In my defense, I read it another place (only linked the one article) and they mentioned something about the throttle sticking, but it was under investigation. I’ll try to find it later.

Maybe I’m reading it wrong but wasn’t it a test drive by someone considering buying one? The have them available near Bade Lu and Guanghua for test drive.

一名30歲林姓男子騎乘的Gogoro工程測試車

‘A 30 year old male surname Lin , Gogoro vehicle engineer test’. It’s not very clear to me either but I think it’s a Gogoro employee.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]一名30歲林姓男子騎乘的Gogoro工程測試車

‘A 30 year old male surname Lin , Gogoro vehicle engineer test’. It’s not very clear to me either but I think it’s a Gogoro employee.[/quote]

Yeah my friend is a test rider for Gogoro and he was close by when it happened. The man was a 30 year old engineer for gogoro doing some tests on the scooter. The accident is still under investigation though. Nobody really knows what happened. He was wearing a helmet too. Looks like he either lost control himself or had a medical condition while riding and crashed. It is pretty sad and bad publicity for Gogoro.

Allow me to Quote myself from near the start of this thread:

[quote=“zender”]OK people. Let’s hear your best guesses as to the price and future of the Gogoro.

My Predictions

Initial cost: NT$99,990

And

NT$100 to swap the two batteries OR

A monthly plan of NT$999 for up to 10 battery (pair) swaps. . .

The first Gogoro fatality will happen in New Taipei City on December 3rd, 2015 when a silent scooter gets crushed by a blue truck carrying eggs.
. . . [/quote]

[quote=“zender”]Allow me to Quote myself from near the start of this thread:

[quote=“zender”]OK people. Let’s hear your best guesses as to the price and future of the Gogoro.

My Predictions

Initial cost: NT$99,990

And

NT$100 to swap the two batteries OR

A monthly plan of NT$999 for up to 10 battery (pair) swaps. . .

The first Gogoro fatality will happen in New Taipei City on December 3rd, 2015 when a silent scooter gets crushed by a blue truck carrying eggs.
. . . [/quote][/quote]

Your prediction is about two month off.

My Predictions

Till December 3rd, 2015 another 300 gasoline stinking scooter drivers will die on Taiwan’s streets.
Another few thousand people living here will develop some fatal cancer during the same time period.
More people will suffer from a stroke or heart condition.

If the other cars, scooters and blue trucks could be a little quieter, the gogoro would be quite audible.

Quite agree. The world around us is so f’ing noisy that some people actually think that’s normal.

They sure missed an opportunity. They should design them to be more useful so small racks could be added and sell the concept to Taipei city government for the mail delivery people, parking attendants that ride the roads putting bills on car windows, and other government services that pollute the air with scooters.

Maybe even the natural gas deliverymen carrying gas bottles on the back of their scooter.

You can’t be all things to all people.I think gogoro are promoting the emotional
Side now less than the technical specs.
But they are
Probably thinking about designing other models if they can make this one a success.

Finally an e-scooter that isn’t ugly.

Look carefully at the picture and you will see something is not correct.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]Gogoro spotted in the wild …

[/quote]

Remember one thing … Just because you ride a Gogoro, you can NOT park on a disabled parking spot! :ohreally:[/quote]

Is anyone aware whether if you can test ride at the Ba De Rd. store? I know you can at the Xin Yi branch.

Electric scooter maker Gogoro Inc (睿能創意) yesterday said that monthly sales of its battery- powered smart scooter last month hit a new record high at 729 vehicles, securing its top position in the nation’s electric scooter market.
That brought total sales of Gogoro’s smart scooter to more than 2,500 units in Taiwan, Gogoro chief marketing officer Peng Ming-i (彭明義) said in a company statement. Gogoro sold 680 smart scooters in October.
Gogoro has seized a 25.26 percent share of the nation’s electric scooter market . . . it also increased the number of battery-swapping stations from 85 to 100 in October, mostly in Taipei. . . . Gogoro in October said that it had cut retail prices by more than 20 percent for its premium model to NT$108,000 (US$3,282) per unit, and to NT$98,000 per unit for its standard model. Gogoro said that it had also launched a more affordable model costing NT$88,000 per unit.

taipeitimes.com/News/biz/arc … 2003633875

I’ve seen a lot of commercials on TV for the Gogoro lite at what seems to be NT$62,000.

These sales figues seem very disappointing. I can’t imagine how worried the company is, and unless sales increase exponentially, this is going to be a disaster. Am I right?

ETA- The article below is quite interesting. Mainland China is putting out a ton of ebikes.
WHY AREN’T ELECTRIC SCOOTERS TAKING OFF IN TAIWAN?
vrworld.com/2015/02/22/arent-ele … ff-taiwan/

Actually those numbers seems to be getting better which is key. They also have projects overseas e.g Amsterdam. Financially they are not going to Make a quick killing but they might finally be on the right track. Depends how deep their pockets go. They’ve also signed up 7-11s to the charging scheme.

When you launch a new type of product, you need to budget in that it takes time to gain acceptance and knowledge in the market. I launched a biodegradable food packaging bag in the EU market - sales are building slowly, however it’s a losing proposition. Give it another year or 2 and it will likely pay its way.

The issue is not if the product gets accepted a little too slowly, the issue is that you need the staying power overall to keep offering it and knock down the obstacles. I hope gogoro is well funded.

Looks like Gogoro will be offering a charger. I guess they are changing their business model of only have the swap stations. Unless this was in the original plan?

Although, still more cost effective to use a swap station as you won’t be paying for juice to charge the batteries.

[quote=“Yang Gui Zi”]Looks like Gogoro will be offering a charger. I guess they are changing their business model of only have the swap stations. Unless this was in the original plan?

Although, still more cost effective to use a swap station as you won’t be paying for juice to charge the batteries.

[/quote]

It would be interesting to know how much the electricity would cost for 500kms. I am guessing that a big part of the 899/mo cost is due to installing and maintaining the charging stations (including a cut to the retailer location) and the battery recycling costs at the end of the battery’s life.

But this is a step that Gogoro needs to take to be successful. I am very skeptical that they can put in a large enough network of stations for it to be more convenient to the customer.