Gogoro electric scooter

Does the Gogoro actually re-charge the battery during regen? I’ve tried coasting downhill for 500m, and the range (per dashboard display) drops by 500m. Lights and control electrics are all on of course, but there should be no power to the motor.

I coasted most of the way down from YMS - at least 10 minutes - yes, there were a few traffic stops, but I also concluded there was no regeneration

Not sure how they actually do it. Maybe they “just” charge a capacitor bank and/or a tiny backup battery that’s inside the scooter. That way they would recover energy from breaking and use it for accelerating - without actually charging the two main batteries. That would save some charging logic in the Scooter.

I remember reading a bit about the inside workings, but unfortunately don’t remember the details. I did see the electronics where they were manufactured (in Taiwan), but noone cared to explain to me the details :zipper_mouth_face: all I remember is that the PCB with the Gogoro logo was a fancy bright color (white?), and rounded as opposed to the standard square shapes. Maybe it was only the dashboard, not the charging logic.

I believe you need to descend at a certain speed for it to actually regen…a little.

Yes, that’s what I’m wondering - the re-gen braking effect seems to be strongest between about 40 - 30kmh, then it feels like it releases, so maybe I’m just coasting.

Maybe also the regen strength settings in the app matters? I use regen instead of breaking as much as I can, but it only creates a significant breaking effect when turned up from the default.

By the way, the fact that it brakes without using the brakes means that something must be happening there. For sure power is being generated, else there would be no noticeable braking. What is being done with the power (charge battery, charge capacitor bank, or “burn” to heat) that would be interesting.

The facts that the regen braking is almost non-functional with full batteries, and that with empty batteries it can be used for a long time going downhill, seems to indicate that indeed the battery is charged, not just a capacitor bank. Or yeah, heat. Wouldn’t be good design, though.

I was beginning to suspect they were just dumping the energy through a shunt or similar, but as you say that wouldn’t depend on battery charge.

5 Likes

I recently noticed on a long downhill section (where I wasn’t using the accelerator) that the range indicator was going down over time (it should go up if there’s positive regen and zero output). So something is amiss there, but my guess is that it’s an issue with the heuristic that the range indicator uses.

Can you tell me where you buy the chain oil? I’ve looked around a few places but somehow can’t find it.

Try Giant bike shops in your area. If that does not work, PChome to the rescuse.

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DEAO3R-A900AF5C2

1 Like

Gogoro announced a new scooter today: the VIVA MIX (starting at $59,980)

Looks like a cheaper option in the 125cc class. I actually really like the funky look.

3 Likes

6kW motor in that thing. That’d have some serious grunt, definitely comparable to a 125-150cc gasoline engine.

2 Likes

Looks ace. I want either the white one, or the grey. or yellow. Or the grey and white.

To me it looks like a revamped gogoro 2.
And awesome to see the foot pegs are back.

1 Like

As a G2 owner, really seeing these designs getting more and more…plastic-y? Dare I say, local?

2 Likes

The G2 is still the best choice IMO.

2 Likes

I actually prefer the look and the feel of Gogoro plastics. The plastic looks and feels “techy” if thats a word. Makes it feel like a “smart” scooter rather than a pure mechanical beast.

Can’t speak for the newest model as I haven’t seen it in person but based on what I’ve seen on the VIVA and G3 it feels very premium. From what Gogoro says, it’s also more environmentally friendly. Not sure about durability though.

The plastic on SYM/Kymco scooters always looks and feels cheap to me.

2 Likes

Sym and Kymco plastic just likes like cheap thin crap that fractures and scratches to hell.

Remind me again why all these Gogoros are wrapped in those padded blanket things.

2 Likes