Gogoro Handling Sucked

Had my heart set on a Gogoro, but went for a test ride the other day.

Man the handling sucks… It felt dangerous. The floorboard is so low to the ground, I felt like I couldn’t lean into a turn at all.

Interested to hear the thoughts of others who’ve ridden one.

Maybe I’m spoilt because my last scoot was a Yamaha Tmax - but even the 8 year old Cuxi I rode to the test drive on feels wayyyy more solid.

Gogoro 2+ owner here for 9 months. I’m going to assume you tested the Gogoro 2 series. Last time I checked, they weren’t doing test drives for the 1 series.

FYI I was riding a 2008 Kymco Jockey 125cc before I bought my G2.

I remember my test drive, the first thing I noticed was the floorboard or foot rest being really low to the ground and the acceleration speed was amazeballs. Nonetheless, I did notice the “gas” lever was very very loose, even in the checkered flag mode. That’s probably from countless test drives.

After riding it for a bit through the city and speeding up and down mountain roads, I have noticed that the handling isn’t great through turns. Hell, I can take corners better on my bicycle than my G2. Nonetheless, I don’t really ask for much since I don’t think the G2 is built for aggressive riding. I’m sure your Cuxi isn’t either, but with the floorboard higher on your Cuxi vs the G2, it’s quite obvious that you can lean into a turn more on a scoot with higher floorboard…right?

Despite noticing that almost every aspect of the G2 was better than my Kymco, I did test drive a total of three times before deciding on buying since everything on it was new to me. I needed a few tests to get used to the riding position, acceleration, weight of the G2 and some other things.

I would consider going back and trying it out a few more times, since they don’t charge you for it. If you have any other questions, definitely chat up one of the sales reps. Most of the ones I’ve encountered have been pretty helpful with any questions I’ve had. Just need to see if they can speak English or not if you’re Chinese isn’t up to par.

What’s the charge time like? My area doesn’t have any battery exchange areas, do need to charge at home. That’s the last thing holding me back.

“充電 6 小時增加 82% 電池電量,約可騎乘 90 公里 *1 。” (Charge time of 6 hours gets you to 82% which could result in 90km of usage.)

90km is subject to how fast you ride though!

You will see charge times reduce dramatically in the next 12 months . Maybe not Gogoro, but the other Taiwan produced Brands can ,potentially ,use li-ion batteries that will charge to 80% within 30 minutes . Loving my new job :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It is strange that the handling characteristics seem to be worse with a lower centre of gravity . Engineers always strive to keep it as low as possible … to improve handling . It may be less weight, suspension issues … so many other factors . Hope they get it right . They have done a great job to attract more people into Electric . Just need the Government to produce that extra need in a better way :smirk:

1 Like

That range estimate is super optimistic too. I’m getting like 60km between battery swaps on mine, despite turning regen all the way up and using it to slow down as much as I safely can. I think it’s because I’m usually carrying people or objects.

Other than the range, I’m super happy with it as a utility bike. I have a different bike to ride for fun.

Agreed. I don’t know about the charge time since I haven’t read much about it or used it myself, but the G2 with smart and high regen on is capable of such feat. Plenty of Youtube videos of guys testing the batteries where they riding 40kph for 100km.

I’m also averaging 50-60km per battery set,which really wasn’t what I expected when I bought my G2. However, living in Taipei with charge stations within a few minutes ride of wherever I am, it’s nothing to complain about.