Gogoro SBS vs. ABS versions safety

Hi all,

I want to ask if switching from SBS to abs (because of the safer brakes) is worth it?
I bought a second hand gogoro s2 last year. Because I needed the scooter quite urgently i only could get my hands on the Sbs version. (The abs seller just stood me up at the DMV)

Now i think about selling the s2 sbs and buying the abs version, proabaly the s2 again because handling is nicer than S3.
Is this worth considerring doing so for the extra safety?
I’m riding the scooter for enjoyment (going to hiking trails around Taipei) and running small errands and not for work / longer commutes. And if i can avoid it I’m not riding in the rain.
The gogoro dealers couldn’t explain the benefit of abs and one told me that most people opt for the Sbs version anyway?!?

On a side note: our parking garage flooring has those ugly small tiles, which get really slippery when wet and on some occasions has almost caused me to fall (even when going straight in walking speed). But this is nothing abs will fix, i.guess

This brings me to my second question:
why are both break leavers on gogoros connected and always brake front and back. I heard this is stipulated by law in Taiwan
However it seems to meet, that it would be safer if the back break only (mostly) breaks the back wheel.
Especially when braking with the back break on the slippery Floor of our parking space the front wheel locks up immediately and slides to the side.

Thanks.

I would save the money and keep the scooter you have, your not riding much in the rain and your main problem is the parking if I’m not mistaken.

You will be mostly braking in your parking spot, maybe worth getting some of the none slip tape.
Also if your locking up your front brake (this should be your primary brake at all times), you back bake would just slide and wouldn’t stop you.

You need to slightly adjust your riding style and treat it like you are on ice, better not to brake at all and let the motor do the work. slow down as much as you can before you reach the tiles, then use the motor to slowly drive you across the tiles cutting the power so that you will roll to a stop in your space.

1 Like

hi,

thanks for the suggestions.
yes since i have the gogoro i’ve adjusted the driving style quite a lot (compared to the old gas powered scooter). with the old one i never had those issues.

1 Like

If this is the case i would check your tires, it my be a harder compound, more worn, over inflated or not designed for wet weather, all these can lead to it slipping in the wet.