Going By Boat: Asia/Australasia

Hi everyone,

I’d like to travel to New Zealand fromTaiwan as cheaply as possible. I have looked into a few cargo ship websites and it seems possible, albeit complicated to line up. Does anybody have any useful information or know anyone that has done something similar in the past?

Thanks

[quote=“Hoanus”]Hi everyone,

I’d like to travel to New Zealand fromTaiwan as cheaply as possible. I have looked into a few cargo ship websites and it seems possible, albeit complicated to line up. Does anybody have any useful information or know anyone that has done something similar in the past?

Thanks[/quote]
I don’t have any info or stories, but eventually I’d love to hear your story. Cargo-ship travel sounds fantastic and it’s one of those vague “someday” type fantasies of mine.

Welcome to Forumosa Hoanus,

I’m a Kiwi living here in Free China, and I once looked into getting back to NZ by ship and overland travel. After spending a few days trawling the Internet, I hoisted the white flag of surrender (actually, it was a pair of undies but close enough in size to a flag). It is possible but would require a lot of time and money. The days of working a passage on a ship are long gone. Some container ships have rooms for paying passengers but it’s not a cheap way to travel (US$100 plus per night).

[quote=“almas john”]Welcome to Forumosa Hoanus,

I’m a Kiwi living here in Free China, and I once looked into getting back to NZ by ship and overland travel. After spending a few days trawling the Internet, I hoisted the white flag of surrender (actually, it was a pair of undies but close enough in size to a flag). It is possible but would require a lot of time and money. The days of working a passage on a ship are long gone. Some container ships have rooms for paying passengers but it’s not a cheap way to travel (US$100 per night plus).[/quote]

What if he’s a handsome cabin boy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSRu3eNiVHY&playnext=1&list=PL63A82A5E311ADB06&index=3

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies and help (as well as the Grisman/Garcia clip which was informative in itself). After sending and receiving some e-mails to a few travel companies and freighter ship agencies, it seems that the only option is to ride on these boats for about 100 dollars a night; a little pricy considering you can usually fly cheaper. This being said if I think that if one had a little more Mandarin behind one’s tongue, it might be possible to make some connections at a harbour and possibly spin a deal with the ship operators themselves depending on how loose your travel plans were and where you wanted to go. I’ll keep asking around and post any new info here.
Cheers.