Going going, Saddy's Gone?

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote]Saddam did not hang alone.[/quote]Yes he did

[quote]Two other men were executed along with him[/quote]No they weren’t.

You’re completely wrong, completely overflowing with wrongness…[/quote]

Can you offer ANY proof that TC’s sources are incorrect?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Still, it might have been an interesting suggestion of a less malicious future if he was given life instead, especially given the concerns raised by the international jurors refarding the fairness of his trial.

HG[/quote]

How does making someone cease to exist constitute a punishment or revenge? I never ‘got’ the death penalty.

But then again, I always thought the best punishment for Myra Hindley (sorry, non-Brits) would have been a train ticket, a wig, a 12 hour head start and then a story in the Daily Mail…

I don’t like people being killed, by anyone. But life in prison was not an appropriate sentence for Saddy. I am SURE that people who lived under his absolute terror-rule were worried that he somehow still had control of insurgents in Iraq, and would return some day to further his torture.

A huge percentage of the Iraqi people have been individually and collectively traumatized by what Saddy did, and I don’t believe they could get over it with him still breathing.

I care far more about the “normal” people in Iraq than Saddy. They needed him to die to move on. To me, that is what the death penalty is all about.

I do not see that there was any other option than to kill him.

Sure, you have a point, maybe for the welfare of the people, the greater good, it was the best thing.

When I saw the picture, I saw thought ‘Oh…’ He did unspeakable things and was completely unrepentant. A lot of people wanted him to suffer, not to have his life ended quickly and painlessly without having to make amends or explain himself.

In a civilised world, the law can’t be about revenge. I don’t know what I think, I know I’d certainly like it to be, sometimes.

But I know I’m only looking at this from my perspective and as long as Iraqi justice was served by the Iraqi people, then it’s good.

“The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.”

If it had been revenge, he would have been thrown to the Kurds on Day One.

Capital “punishment” is a flawed concept. Nobody knows all the forces that came to bear in the creation of another soul so no one is in a poistion to make a judgement as to whether that soul should cease to exist, let’s say, prematurely. Deterance is another thing entirley. If this execution can help to remind world leaders that they too will be held to account legally if they engage in torture, illegal imprisonment, bungled war efforts etc. then perhaps it serves a very real purpose.

Hmmm… hang Bush? :smiley:

Hmmm… hang Bush? :smiley:[/quote]

I think Bush is has many many other leaders of nations ahead of him that deserve to be hanged.

You may think that the war in Iraq was illegal or morally wrong, but unjustified?

When Bush starts feeding people into meat grinders, or having political opponents executed, I’ll believe that he should be hung. :s

If it can be proven that he delibrately bungled the occupation in order to justify maintaining a military presence in the country that would help him to siphon oil profits away from ordinary Iraqis and into the coffers of American and British oil companies then yes, I think he should be executed. Why not?

And how about the Enron crew?

Hey!!! This is The Morgue!!!

Squabble elsewhere! :bicker:
:smiley:
:shh:

I’ll admit to being seriously off topic, as this after all the morgue and a certain decorum seems appropriate. Perhaps this could be a good new thread “Whatcha think about that hangin?” or something to that effect.

[color=green]Mod note: Good idea. I’m merging it with the existing thread in IP. --DB[/color]

I think it was all done in too much haste but that’s not surprising. The decision to try him like they did was to ensure he could be dispatched as quickly as possible. There should have been a proper trial for all of his crimes if any sort of reconciliation was the intention. The truth is that there are too many with a vested interest, in the US in particular, in avoiding trials on more tricky issues that might have allowed his defence team to call on Rumsfeld and others to appear in court.

This will do nothing to prevent further violence and if anything will create the perfect figurehead for the insurgency. He’s a more powerful figure dead than alive. The video shows a defiant man dying with dignity - he refused a hood - while his executioners wear terrorist masks… if they were hoping for a James Cagney moment they must have been disappointed… pointless.

He looked doped to me.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote]Saddam did not hang alone.[/quote]Yes he did

[quote]Two other men were executed along with him[/quote]No they weren’t.

You’re completely wrong, completely overflowing with wrongness…[/quote]

Can you offer ANY proof that TC’s sources are incorrect?[/quote]

The BBC reports thusly: "Barzan al-Tikriti, Saddam’s half brother, and the former chief judge Alwad al-Bandar, who were sentenced to death alongside Saddam, were not with him. They will be executed at a later date. "

CNNconcurs: “Two other co-defendants – Barzan Hassan, Hussein’s half-brother, and Awad Bandar, the former chief judge of the Revolutionary Court – were also found guilty and had been expected to face execution with Hussein, but al-Rubaie said their executions were postponed “because we wanted to have this day to have an historic distinction.””

Bill O’Reilly:

“Make no mistake, evil people who destroy thousands of lives must be held to account”.

So Bush and Blair are hopefully next then? What was the number of dead on their watch? Over 600,000 so far.
It’s OK, oil prices are high, the economy is booming (for the 0.5%) and Saddam is dead.
War is peace, War is freedom…

Exactly.

No man has the right to take another’s life. Killing Saddam will not stop the stupidity. Personaly, I can see no end to it if we continue to run the world with a barbaric eye-for-an-eye-tooth-for-a-tooth mentality.

That’s right. No one ever had the right to kill Stalin or Hitler for their crimes against humanity. We should have sent them to sensitivity therapy, instead.

What planet are you living on? Certainly not Earth, where 95% of the people (according to polls in both Europe, the U.S., and Canada) believe that if you kill a man, you deserve death in return.

Speaking of Earth, most Earth people find that one’s credibility is maximized when one takes the time to be careful. When one displays carelessness about especially the smallish whole numbers one usually finds on Earth that one’s credibility becomes the butt of certain…shall we speculate…small-minded, perhaps pedantic but certainly giggly people.

I don’t have a poll on this but I am fairly certain it’s like universal. Applies to all the planets of all the solar systems, etc. Letting the reflection of one’s certain knowledge of the difference between the whole numbers 2 and 3 shine forth, primarily, in one’s rantings, especially when one is questioning the corporeal existence of those with whom one disagrees as well as perhaps certain other matters of a statistical nature, well first showing us all that you know the difference between these shall we say numbers among those of the earliest learnt, by most people of Earth, this display ranks right up there in terms of maximizing one’s credibility factor.

Quibbly, I know, but such a breathless, headlong rush in rhetoric can lead reasonable humans of Earth to question whether in the grand scheme of things you can be trusted to know, when the chips are down as they certainly are in Iraq, your ass from a hole in the ground.

Or better yet, maybe the healing power of crystals would have helped… Oh, poor Saddam…

[quote=“cake”]Bill O’Reilly:

“Make no mistake, evil people who destroy thousands of lives must be held to account”.

So Bush and Blair are hopefully next then?[/quote]

Bush and Blair aren’t evil men. They have not committed crimes against humanity. This ‘America is evil’ routine is oh so tired.