Going grey

I’ve noticed that in the last year to year and a half (the time I’ve lived in Taiwan) my hair has gotten a lot more grey in it. Now, granted, I did just turn 35… but, I don’t see that as being old, nor the age that grey hair should start sprouting profusely on your head.

Is there something about living in Taiwan that would make you go grey faster? The pollution? Whacky scooter driving habits? Crazy taxi drivers? A KMT plot? What?

I ask this 'cause one of the first things I noticed upon moving here was the, seemingly, large number of teenagers and young adults with grey hair. I’m always surprised when I see someone (mostly males, but sometimes females) with grey hairs (and sometimes a lot of them) and wearing a high school or, even, a junior high school uniform.

Is it too much school/studying? What is up with that?

It’s the fault of George Bush and the Republicans. They force the gentle Taiwanese to put MSG in the instant noodles thus polluting our precious bodily fluids* making us ripe for the plucking by the Red Chinese hordes.

Quiet Mountain, if you give me back that lovely avatar, I will tell you why: at this lattitude, the sun hits a person’s head in a certain and that makes it turn grey. But like the other thread the bassman started about going, YIKES, BALD!, and he seems to think living here did him in, too, – wrong wrong wrong – emrbace your greyness QM and climb every mountain anyway. Gray or grey?

Either way, it’s all vanity. In Hsimenting, the young kids today DYE their hair grey to look cool. THINK ABOUT THAT for a minute and then go back to crying in your soup!

• I noticed too< alot of young people on Taiwan Island seem to get grey hairs. Must be the water.

I didn’t say living here “did me in.” In fact, I’m perfectly willing to admit that living in Taiwan does not have anything to do with my own “grey-ness.” However, how do you explain all the grey-haired (and I don’t mean from dye) teenagers?

As for giving you the avatar for the answer… I’ll pass. :slight_smile: Not that desperate to know.

Btw, to me being gray is not a “yikes.” I think grey hair can look very good on a guy. And, no matter how grey I get, I have no plans to dye my hair to cover it up.

Qm wrote: “Btw, to me being gray is not a “yikes.” I think grey hair can look very good on a guy. And, no matter how grey I get, I have no plans to dye my hair to cover it up.”

But then why did you title the post: and NONE TOO GRACEFULLY. that sounds awfully like a YIKES to me. please clarify.

And glad you aren’t antigray. some of my best friends are gray.

NOw i will tell you the real reason u see alot of grey hairs, single slices, in SOME teens, only a few, really, and it’s this: the DNA of Chinese DNA black hair roots is such that it allows some radical gray fringes to get inside the black DNA grups and root them out. it’s a defense mechanism and part of God’s plan. MOSTLY, QM, good man, your eyes are deceiving you. LOOK again, and count just how many teens have gray hairs. out of 100, maybe 3. that’s not a statistic.

As for you, a gay gray man hitting 35, more power to you. Embrace the colorblind aura that is you. forget the hues. we are all one.

BTW, if u want to know, my hair is now dyed purple, tinted. mostly black, but with a purple tint.

QM, you is lookin’ GOOD, period. No matter what color that hair is. :smiley:

[quote=“formosa”]
But then why did you title the post: and NONE TOO GRACEFULLY. that sounds awfully like a YIKES to me. please clarify.[/quote]

I apologize for the confusion in the name of my thread. I was just trying to think of something that was catchy, playing off growing old gracefully. But, the “none too gracefully” was referring to the teens, not me. Even though I think grey hair can be sexy, on the right guy and in the right way, I’m not sure teenagers should be grey.

BTW, I’ve changed the title…

謝謝
You are too kind! :blush:

Can I repeat the advice we gave you on another similar thread ? SHAVE IT ALL OFF ! :laughing:

I got a few greys at 30. I am pretty salty now, 15 years later, but if you look at my friends from university my age, they are almost solid grey…and not just on the top of their heads. :shock:

You gave me that advice in another post? I don’t remember that. :?:

However, I have thought about doing that… and not because of the grey. Sometimes I think it would be easier than washing it and combing it and getting it cut all the time. (My hair grows fast enough I need to cut it once a month.)

I’ve just never been able to make that final transitioning step to get it shaved off. I’m always worried my head is a funny shape. Or, worse, I’ll get even more stares being a big, tall, bearded/goateed, bald foreigner walking down the street.

But, back to the topic… the grey doesn’t actually bother me. At least not the grey hair on the head. It’s the grey hairs I’m starting to find “other” places that are worrying me. :shock: :laughing:

Where else? :wink: You’re so weird, Wolf.

QM, it’s your age, not Taiwan, unless you’ve had an undue amount of stress here by getting pushed out of the way by old bags on public transport.
Watch your body from 36 on to see what happens next. You’ll be waking up with creases on your face that DON’T go away for hours, and getting a glimpse of how you’ll look in ten years. Sux!

As for gray, I yank them out. I only get a few because I do dye these golden locks, and I will continue to dye for the rest of my life, no doubt.
I think gray hair makes women look horrible, but it makes men look distinguished. ('Cept for Blueface, who looks like a dirty old man)
So, don’t worry about it…

:mrgreen:

I can’t wait to go completely white…it will lighten up these swarthy shadows I cast…wrongly interpreted as nasty…I am a delightful guy, but unless I smile all the time, you’d think I was gonna rip your face off and make it kiss your own ass…it’s not true…I would never…

What’s buggin’ me is that the grey/white ones are curling the other way…it’s messed up man…

As for shaving it all…I have done that for 2 summers now…it makes the heat bearable…and it does look cool…give it a shot…it grows back ya know…if ya don’t like it, well, 2 weeks and everyone will have forgotten what you did…but if you keep it shaved, you’ll get very good at shaving it…do it by feel…don’t even use a mirror…and keep plenty of Mach 3s around.

Bahhhahahahaha!!! You have now officially over-shared.

That’s 750 folks…750 posts to finally get the courage to slap Alien around in public like this…oh what will tomorrow bring…la dee da dee da…???
As for the locals…my bike guy just dyed his with some concoction of dark grey and bile…it really looped me…he looked like he was his own grandfather.

[quote=“Toe Save”]

Bahhhahahahaha!!! You have now officially over-shared.

That’s 750 folks…750 posts to finally get the courage to slap Alien around in public like this…oh what will tomorrow bring…la dee da dee da…???.[/quote]

It’s no secret, Toe Save, that my natural blonde hair goes dark in the sunshineless Taipei winters. In fact, at least two gracious members of this very community have the courtesy to help me keep my stock of Loreal Preference from being depleted when they travel to western countries (more often than I) and pick me up applications.
If I lived on Koh Tao, things would be very different, naturally.

As for your salt and pepper. I think it looks kind of sexy, but best not let Fred Smith see you, he might think you’re an Arab terrorist.
Afterall, he’s an Arian towhead and might get jealous of your full hairline. :laughing:

QM,
Surely you’ve been in Taiwan long enough to know that you will bring misfortune down on your entire family back six generations if you pluck out or cut off those long mole hairs!! Don’t touch 'em, for the love of Heaven!! :laughing:

[quote=“ironlady”]QM,
Surely you’ve been in Taiwan long enough to know that you will bring misfortune down on your entire family back six generations if you pluck out or cut off those long mole hairs!! Don’t touch 'em, for the love of Heaven!! :laughing:[/quote]

Well, those weren’t the hairs I was talking about. I was referring to chest and, ah, other hair a bit lower on the body turning grey. For some reason I find that more “disturbing” than the hair on my head turning grey.

As for those mole hairs… if I ever developed some, I’d take the risk of bringing misfortunate on my family. Those suckers are so disgusting. :shock:

Joel Grey, The Grey Lady, Greyhound Buslines, the Greying Generation… like my barber says: “Formosa, i’ll dye for ya!”

I said no, i like my closely cropped black hair the way it is.