Going Home-How do you do it?

Taiwan has just as many if not more ridiculous aspects to its culture. I think your conundrum is more properly characterized by how you currently prefer to live in a bubble in Taiwan without knowing about, or if you are aware, then without caring about the nutty things around you.[/quote]

I don’t feel I live in a bubble in Taiwan. I do, however, find those ridiculous aspects of Taiwanese culture easier to tune out becuase they aren’t so “in your face.” I see all the nutty things around me, but I don’t feel smothered by them like I do here.

Why is it when someone chooses to live in a different country it is assumed that it’s largely because they are misfits in their own country/culture? I didn’t leave the US and Canada because i had trouble fitting in, earning a living, forming social relationships etc… my views weren’t so radically different from those around me that I felt I needed to seek refuge in an asian bubble so as to protect myself from the angst i would feel as a result of not being able to relate to anyone. Not everyone who has chosen to live in taiwan has previously lived a life devoid of travelling or experiencing other cultures.

as far as "kick -ass "supermarkets in the US, I am happy to do without spray butter and cheese in a can. The majority of products that occupy american supermarkets is crap. There is a reason why the majority of americans struggle with obesity.

I have also enjoyed living a relatiely TV free lifestyle for the past 3.5 years in Taiwan. The majority of my friends here now have Tivo. The only channels worth watching are those that we also get in Taiwan. The rest is either Fox news (the only truth :unamused: ), MSNBC, CNBC, CNN, and a host of other channels that only air talk shows, talk shows, reality shows, reality talk shows, reality celebrity shows, reality celebrity talk shows… it’s tiring, boring, and repetitive. and in no way would it make my life more comfortable or complete.

this so-called bubble i apparently live in whilst in taiwan isnt burst when i come back here. at least that’s not what i feel is happening. I merely feel the american lifestyle is not one I want. I don’t care that my asian experiences aren’t appreciated or validated by people here. that’s not what grates me the wrong way. A lot of what goes on here I can do without in life, whether it be in Taiwan or somewhere else.

Life in the states is all about excess.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“panda”]
Supermarkets in the USA kick the crap out of the substandard markets here including Costco. Ever go to a Costco in the USA and compare it to Costco here???
[/quote]

Amen to that!!! But at first, its really overwhelming to have 15 different salad dressings to choose from, and I’m only speaking about the Ranch selection…[/quote]

I noticed that about toothpaste. It’s, holy shit a whole wall of choice - my God. But does it really matter?

It is not assumed that the reason they choose to live abroad is because they are misfits in their own culture… but the choice of living abroad certainly makes them diferent from the vast majority of people in their own culture… and may people who make such a choice do happen to be misfits.

You can get your US programming on satellite TV, so why are you watching crap cable here?

My first trip was to China just after the student massacre. I was so stunned to see tiny Chinese trucks on highways as we were landing. It stayed amazing for the whole trip.

On return I told everybody all the time about this trip. What a pain in the arse I must have been!

Now, after having travelled somewhere around 100 times it is just the opposite. I am really not that interested in discussing any of it.

If I do, then there is a window of interest that shuts down pretty quickly as MT mentions.

I have a brother and sister, we all travel all the time.

Our poor mum has sort of a stop in station for us and we regularly visit the family farm where all our Australian goods are stored for some future settling down thing.

I can go all the way back to my English grandmother who came to Australia at 19 years old.

She had that restless need to move. My mum is 74 years old and never at home in her retirement village with all the old stay at homes. They always talk about her driving out with the mobile phone in her ear.

My grandmother used to hop on the train at any oportunity and travel as much as money and family permitted.

Maybe some of us are genetically programmed to move a lot.

There, thats wrapped up my excuse for being a travelling misfit. Blame your poor old grandmother.

You can get your US programming on satellite TV, so why are you watching crap cable here?[/quote]

I am just getting a grip on my new satellite.

Even the german channel is mostly in English and has good programming.

Heaps on new programs and no long advertising breaks is a blessing.

Only downside is wifey finds the lack of sub titles hard work and we have to swap back to the old cable sometimes.

Yeah. My Grandfather was born in Hungary. I’m part Gypsy.

I tried to go home and failed. Part of the problem was that I do come from hicksville pop. 1500. Another problem was that I could not relate to things most people in the US had been through. I was not there for Bush/Gore election and court fiasco and I was not there for 9/11. What a lot of you have said about your personal world view changing had a big effect.

The US is a different place from when we left. (as I’m sure other countries are too) Just be prepared for a lot of differences. And honestly, if going back is really what you want, stay. I ran back to Taiwan after six months and probably did not give myself time to settle. AWOL’s been back two years and doesn’t feel quite settle yet. Getting settled in may take time.

I’ll be doing it this summer: giving up my job, my independent lifestyle, my friends, my apartment and almost everything else I’ve known and liked about my life in the past 3.5 years and exchange it for a place I’ve never lived in before (Former GDR eastern part of Germany as opposed to the German Southwest where I grew up), a completely different lifestyle (moving in with my husband with whom I’ve never lived before - I never actually lived with any partner before), a as of yet not-existing new circle of friends (just one sort of close by) and without any real job prospective (though I have a couple of ideas what I might want to do).

Wish me luck :s

Good luck. :rainbow:
As for going back, well I haven’t done it so I really can’t comment too much.
I am already regretting my promise to return to the U.S. for a visit in May. The thought of non-stop chatter about Iraq, Bush, and Jesus makes me cringe.
When the time comes for me to return to an English-speaking environment I doubt if it will be to the U.S. (well if I can help it). Of course as a 46 year old guy, there aren’t that many options these days. :unamused:
So owl, why not consider another English-speaking country, if it’s the comfort of the language and western culture you long for?

[quote=“Vannyel”] The thought of non-stop chatter about Iraq, Bush, and Jesus makes me cringe.
quote]

no one really talks about anything but carbs and Desperate Housewives.

[quote=“bushibanned”][quote=“Vannyel”] The thought of non-stop chatter about Iraq, Bush, and Jesus makes me cringe.
quote]

no one really talks about anything but carbs and Desperate Housewives.[/quote][/quote]
Actually I was thinking more about the constant media chatter - should have been more specific. :wink:

In Sep, 2003, I visited my family in the US after 7 years of being in Tai\wan. Wow! Culture shock. Everyone on this forum is right–stuff changes over time.

It was a great visit, but I nearly kissed the ground when I landed CKS airport. My next visit will require a US visa–as I have become a citizen of Taiwan.

You can love your family, but the farther apart you grow, the weirder stuff will become.

I was even questioned a few times about “Christian values” or whatever, upon returning to the US. They wanted to know what church I went to, etc. I said “That’s a tough topic…” and then fortunately we were interrupted. Good luck, I didn’t have to make up something about religion… Being away, you simply lose things that were “common knowledge” before.

I went to a “mall” to buy size-12 shoes–tough to find in Taiwan. The people who worked there said: “You’re not from around here, are you?”. I told them about Taiwan and they seemed to think I was “cool”.

I had a picture taken with my very first Taiwanese friend. If it weren’t for him, I wouldn’t be in Taiwan today. He was one of my roommates in college. He’s wearing shorts, a t-shirt and athletic shoes. His wife and children are now US citizens. I’m wearing a NET shirt, trousers, DM shoes, and square thick dark-rimmed glasses. My hair is nearly a buzz-cut. This picture is so funny because of the contrast between our current situations.

Change is inevitable, no doubt.

[quote=“iris”]I’ll be doing it this summer: giving up my job, my independent lifestyle, my friends, my apartment and almost everything else I’ve known and liked about my life in the past 3.5 years and exchange it for a place I’ve never lived in before (Former GDR eastern part of Germany as opposed to the German Southwest where I grew up), a completely different lifestyle (moving in with my husband with whom I’ve never lived before - I never actually lived with any partner before), a as of yet not-existing new circle of friends (just one sort of close by) and without any real job prospective (though I have a couple of ideas what I might want to do).

Wish me luck :s[/quote]

If it is where you are supposed to be, you will be just fine.

[quote=“owl”]I’ll be 34 years old soon–is it really that much harder getting readjusted when you’re older? is it harder finding a job? I’m trying to look at it as just another career change, instead of a major life change.

Any places in the States you recommend living in?[/quote]

I was in the same boat as you in the late 90s. Eight years abroad in Europe and Asia, ready to go back home to the U.S. but apprehensive about what would happen to me once I got back. Make no mistake … it is a major life change.

But I am really glad I made the move back home. Things were tough at first – it took me about three months to find a job that sucked – but stuff worked out in the end. If they hadn’t, I probably would have come back to Asia.

Unlike you, I wanted to return to my hometown, so I think your idea of looking for an interesting place to live is a good start. Go to NYC … best place to reinvent yourself and meet cool people, and if you miss shuijiao or Japanese beer in cans, satisfaction is never too far away.

Smerf’s idea about going to grad school is right on. Specialized education is not only a good way to build career skills that comapnies want, but is also good way to network.

As for politics and SUVs and the reddening of America, keep in mind that at least the vote was almost 50/50 and not 90/10. it’s too bad we have an idiot as president but that’s the way democracy works. The pendulum swung in their direction this time, but lets see where it swings four years from now. Someone pointed out that Taiwan can be equally banaal and stupid, and I was definitely feeling that way after six years in Taipei. America’s a big place with lots of special people and locales, I’d recommend coming back and giving it a try, and if it doesn’t work out, hop on a place and try somewhere else …

What part of the USA?

When I saw this post I was thinking about a question “So, do you watch South Park” Between the religion and South Park thing you would have to get some idea where to head the conversation.

What the fuck is it with this

What the fuck is it with this

Aaargh