Going private (as a patient)

I’ve often wondered about the cost of going private here.

Say one didn’t want to use the NHS in the UK, would it be cheaper to fly out here, get the procedure done privately (no nhi) rather then have private treatment in the UK.

Let’s just say a non emergency op like a hip replacement or herniated disc. Anyone know? Is there a “shopping list with prices” available in order to compare costs of private treatment in various countries?

There are plenty of hospitals with approved units operating on foreigners for a fee in Taiwan.
Do a search online.

2 Likes

If this helps, I did a complete health check in a private clinic once and paid about 30,000 NT$. It’s a full day.

A 3 week stay in a hospital with 3 operations in Taiwan set me back 190,000 NT$,
90,000 NT$ paid back by the NHI. Rest repaid by private insurance.

I had an operation in Belgium, not insured, on a body part I won’t further disclose, outpatient, getting in in the morning, leaving at night, full anesthesia. Paid about 1200 Euro, back in 2008.

1 Like

I’m confused. Going private in Taiwan or going private in the UK?

I just looked up hip replacement in Belgium for non-insured patients and its about 11,000 Euro.

Enlargement? :thinking:

1 Like

Reduction!
:rofl:

Ah, breast reduction. Got it!

4 Likes

Dunno about a shopping list, but private medicine in the UK is incredibly expensive. My limited experience (local anaesthetic, half-day, three people in the operating theater) is that you’ll pay somewhat more than BP did in Belgium. The really irritating part is that you’ll be paying an NHS doctor, often working with NHS facilities.

You will almost certainly get a better deal in Taiwan, for various reasons.

The NHS usually sorts out private fuck ups in the UK.

And vice versa, unfortunately. At least, that’s why I ended up going private.

Obviously it’s all personal experience. It’s difficult to tally fuck ups.

Private will be faster. Lawyers deal with the private fuck ups, NHS deals with the rest.

And they have slightly more incentive to get the job done, IMO. It wasn’t a bad experience, apart from the hole in my wallet.

But yeah, I imagine the lawyers get a lot of business out of private clinics.

There’s no clear answer. If one gets an incompetent doctor one is fucked either way.

A large proportion of NHS doctors make most of their money privately.

In terms of the OP I would always choose a surgeon who has done it many times.