Going to Taiwan for 2 months, prepaid phone options

Hey there,

I’ve been lurking on forumosa for awhile, since I’m going to Taiwan for 2 months, studying at ICLP and decided just to post since there seem to be so many cell phone options out there in Taiwan. I currently have an unlocked iPhone and saw the post about the prepaid monthly unlimited data on Taiwan mobile and just wanted to see if that was the best option. I definitely would like unlimited data and some sort of text if possible, but am not too worried about phone calls. Also, I happen to have an iPad that I wouldn’t mind getting a SIM card for as well if it was affordable. Haven’t seen too much on those and searching the Taiwan Mobile site is a bit hard for me since my Chinese isn’t great. Any suggestions or tips on how to go about this? Thanks a ton!

According to this post, (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97303&start=30#p1389651) if you sign up for a prepaid Taiwan Mobile card, you can get 30 days of unlimited 3G data access for 1500NTD.

I am not sure what exactly has to be done for allowing tethering on iPhones, but if you can enable that functionality, allow your iPad access and all is gravy :slight_smile:

There’s a better plan available now - though if you need just 60 days, it might not be so cost effective.

900NT for 25 days - top up with a 1000nt card IN STORE and get 1350nt.

[quote=“monokuro”]There’s a better plan available now - though if you need just 60 days, it might not be so cost effective.

900NT for 25 days - top up with a 1000nt card IN STORE and get 1350nt.[/quote]

Is that a data plan or is that just a general bank of funds for calls/text?

Unlimited data.

It doesn’t make a lot of sense I know - 1500nt a for a month or 900nt for 25 days - but hey, if they want to offer that then I’m happy to accept it :slight_smile:

3G Prepaid for a month is 800 nt with Taiwan mobile , they didn’t know about the offer ( 1000 top up in store > 350 free )
Top up your prepaid sim card , call the customer service and you are good to go.
Using it right now.

Need to call customer service using your sim card to activate 3g , ( 535 )

Speed : 1Mo Download 132ko Upload , decent

The top up bonus offer is listed on the TW Mobile website - so they should know about it!

english.taiwanmobile.com/english … dCard.html

[quote]6. Top-Up Bonus:
i. Via “Taiwan Mobile myfone outlets” ETU(Electronic Top-Up): There is extra $50 bonus for $300 top-up, extra $100 bonus for $600 top-up, and extra $350 for $1,000 to-up.
ii. *Via Recharge cards: There is extra $200 bonus for $1000 top-up.[/quote]

And now just 800 for unlimited 3g internet? That’s great news!

I actually just got on that plan! I gotta head back in after 25 days to recharge but hey, 800NT for that? Not complaining at all :smiley: Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.