Going to Taiwan

Hi, have been reading Forumosa for years, it is really invaluable for information. I am a South African, married to a Taiwanese for almost 29 years. We have always lived in my country, never in Taiwan. My family, friends and fellow South Africans have always been very supportive of our marriage. My husband is like a local. He worked for our government for years, he watches our sport, loves our food. Now that we are going to Taiwan I was wondering how easily the Taiwanese people accept a mixed marriage. I know we should not be asking these kind of questions in 2020, but we have had such an easy life here, I am hoping it will be the same there.

Most people are very accepting of mixed marriages, especially when the foreigner is a woman. If the foreigner is a man, sometimes there is some negative feelings by single men who think “foreigners are stealing our women”, and they use this as a justification for them being unable to find a wife. There are some negative connotations about Taiwanese men marrying South East Asian women, but as a South African these wouldn’t apply to you.

Do you speak Mandarin or Taiwanese? If so, you might feel accepted more quickly, or might not.