Going walletless

What’s protecting your smartphone?
My case has always been one that is like a wallet (phone is snapped into a hard plastic protector mold) with 2 little pockets on its left side after opening up.
Enough to carry 8 cards, like MRT, credit cards, IDs, bank ATM cards.
Can even carry some cash bills.

3 Likes

I don’t use a phone protector because I feel that with technology advancements, like the new iPhone titanium body, we should soon be approaching a point where dropping a phone won’t damage it. Plus the trade in value is pretty bad after 3 years that the phone might not be worth trading in. My iPhone cost 1.2k USD and the trade in is only $65. Though my phone is more like 5 years old. Might as well pay the 5% to experience the iPhone the way it’s supposed to be.

Sorry… but the titanium on the iphone 15 pro is only on the outer edge of that phone. It does nothing for the durability of the phone honestly.

Back is glass and those break easily, probably most the damage is from that. You still need a case for this reason.

Maybe if they used plastic or hard anodized aluminum back, the phone would be more durable without needing a case.

Okay. How many beers you had tonight?

1 Like

Sounds quite thick.
Care to share a photo?

It’s an Android. Case bought at store where I bought the smartphone. Maybe NT$300.
The blue part above yellow color is plastic case for phone to be in.

1 Like

I read a few guides on how to dress for men and it seems a protruding wallet is bad style. They recommend slim and not baggy pants, which means you can’t use side pockets, only your back pockets. Which means when you sit, you end up sitting on your wallet. This is another reason to get rid of your wallet and use a small phone like iPhone mini, preferably with as little profile and thickness as possible. Plus sized phones are bad for style.

Get a stylish men’s bag?

Embrace a baggy style, many Koreans have…

Classic style doesn’t go out of fashion, and is a nice medium. Just because slim fit everything is fashionable this year doesn’t mean it will be next year

Or, find your own style

3 Likes

You can check which phone you have and where the NFC is located. If it’s at the top then you can have the card at the bottom. Not sure if this works it’s just what Reddit told me.

I just don’t drop it. :man_shrugging::sunglasses::grin:

1 Like

Apple wallet helps a lot! I have minimised my wallet use so that I can survive without it but still need it.

My Australian medicare card has an app with the card on it so I don’t carry that around.

The main ‘necessities’ i need to keep a wallet for are my licence. The Victorian government is trialling digital licences so I might be able to turf this soon
I also keep one bank card on me so I can select ‘savings’ and avoid the surcharges shops in Australia charge for credit/debit cards (not available on apple pay with my bank)

I mostly like being able to keep my membership cards and private health insurance info in apple pay. Makes them easy to find

In Taiwan I basically did the same thing but I needed to keep my ARC, NHI and easy card on me. I mostly used Line Pay but found I had to keep most of my membership cards in each company’s app, they didn’t support apple wallet

2 Likes

It’s got nothing to do with you. It’s impossible to go wallet-less in Taiwan. I already tried. Didn’t work.

1 Like

Do you know what “cash only” means?

2 Likes

I keep all my useless NFC cards in the left side of my wallet, and my iPass Card in the right side. When I need to use my iPass, I just flip open my wallet and make sure only the right side is on the sensor.

1 Like

The GQ article you linked is from 2015!

Slim pants are out of style! Go with baggy or wide cargo pants (which are in), and use the side pockets for your wallet.

Even better, wear a small crossbody bag over your chest. I’ve been doing that since I arrived in Taiwan.

Any recommendations on the easy card watch?

Not really, never used one, but you might be able to find one in 全國電子, the one near me has them. Shoppee probably has more variety tho.

Have you considered going phone-less instead? A minimalist wallet with ID, Easy Card, credit card and a couple of thousand NT makes your pants bulge less than a phone.

10 Likes

Until you have to eat at one of those QR code restaurant…

OK Now I am starting to see the problem—puting a wallet into a pant pocket. Or putting a phone into a pant pocket.

Don’t do that, it messes up the pants.

Always have an urban bag with the necessities of life in northern Taiwan (an umbrella, a hat and the like).

I cycle every day so that’s how I roll. :grin:

Guy

5 Likes