Going wheat-free

…for a week to start anyway!

I decided yesterday morning that I’m going to challenge myself in health and in self-control by going bread-free. By noon I was craving a sandwich so so badly and it was only four hours :doh:

I love carbs, but I also suspect, no, I KNOW it is better for my body to cut it down. Even though I try to do multigrain or whole wheat bread I still can’t resist cookies, crackers, pastries, etc. so I’ve decided to just do wheat-free for a week and see how I feel. I will NOT be going gluten-free as wheat-free is pretty tough for me as it is.

Today wasn’t so bad, though I did wake up really sluggish. Could be the shock of no breads to my system for 24 hours! Or the baby woke up too many times at night. For rice, we always do half brown half white rice so I do get my carb fix. Oh yeah, and leftover Halloween candies.

Have you tried it? How did it improve your life? My diet is quite healthy, but it could be better. I have family who have gluten allergies so I know how hard this will be.

Anyone else up to doing this together?

Yes, I’ve tried it. The main problem with a low-carb diet is that, unless you’re preparing all your own meals, it really limits your choices. It just gets too much trouble after a while, which is a shame. This year I’ll be growing a lot of my own food, including a lot of unusual things that - I hope - can be used to make more interesting no-carb meals. So I’ll probably give it another go in a few months’ time.

I didn’t do it in stages: I went cold turkey (I was following Atkins, and apparently that’s the recommended way to start). I also felt rather sluggish and irritable the first week. That feeling quickly went away. I can’t say I felt a new lease of life, but I certainly didn’t feel hungry or low on energy. What I did notice (after about three months) was a rather impressive six-pack, marred somewhat by the sagging skin where my gut used to be. And I never even had much of a gut to begin with. I don’t think my bodyfat ratio has ever been so low.

After the first few weeks I started including things like tortillas and some carb-rich vegetables/fruit, mainly because I was getting bored with the same old things every day.

I missed sugar, cakes etc to start with, but quickly adapted to it. Even though I now eat a more “normal” diet, I can no longer eat sugary foods - or at least no more than a bite or two. They’re just too sweet and overpowering.

Of course, if you’re just talking about a bread- or wheat-free diet, I imagine it would be a lot easier, but I don’t see the point if you’re going to keep eating sugar and other processed-carb foods.

Would be nice to find my six pack, too. :laughing: There is a pooch that needs to gtfo forever.

Just going bread-free, mostly, not carb-free, as that is too drastic to cut out. But bread/wheat free is still pretty hard, especially since I’m quite busy and bread-type foods are so easy to pick up on the go.

Anyway, as hard as it is, I think it will be fun. Next I’d like to cut out sugar, then dairy.

I tried eating low-carb for awhile…it kept my weight low but I kept feeling hungry, lethargic, and not having energy to exercise, so within a couple weeks I started eating carbs again.

I have cut out processed food as well as most breads and cereals (i started getting acid reflux from cereal and bread), but I could never go carb-free…if I don’t get enough carbs, I feel tired and sluggish and don’t have enough energy to work out.

After cutting out most breads, white rice etc. I feel a million times better and much more energetic. I eat loads of fruits and veggies and get plenty of protein with small amounts of carbs (usually from potatoes, brown rice, and small amounts of wheat or spinach pasta). Sometimes I will eat a few whole wheat crackers with my lunch if I haven’t had any carbs yet that day.

If I were to cut out all carbs, that would be all I’d be able to think about and crave all day long! I think the key is moderation and making small, gradual changes. That’s what worked for me anyway. Over the past couple of years, I have gradually cut out processed food and sugars and try to eat ‘clean’ (although I still love beer and wine :slight_smile: ). After a while, I started to totally lose the taste for processed and fast food, sweets, etc. I simply don’t crave them or like them much anymore.

[quote=“914”]Would be nice to find my six pack, too. :laughing: There is a pooch that needs to gtfo forever.

Just going bread-free, mostly, not carb-free, as that is too drastic to cut out. But bread/wheat free is still pretty hard, especially since I’m quite busy and bread-type foods are so easy to pick up on the go.

Anyway, as hard as it is, I think it will be fun. Next I’d like to cut out sugar, then dairy.[/quote]

I would find it really hard to cut out dairy!!! That’s a big source of protein for me, especially yogurt.

@914

I just read up on this (going wheat-free) through random clicks, about a book called “Wheat Belly”. Seems interesting, but I’m not sure of the validity of some/any of it’s claims. Seems kind of pan-Atkins, like paleo. I also think I eat pretty well, lots of veggies, whole-grain breads, very seldom eat white bread, some fruit. Would like to reduce/cut out the wheat bread and switch to brown rice at least some of the time.

As you said, breads are SO convenient and most takeout places only have white rice. So, I’ll join you to continue this thread with what good alternatives there may be here that are widely available either to buy or easily prepped from local ingredients.

I love my whole-wheat toast with fresh OJ and green tea with honey/lemon as my go-to healthy and quick breakfast. Sometimes add a banana. That will be tough to give up, but it oculd be the key to the last couple tough to lose kilos.

UJ

I’ve read that drinking juice isn’t such a great idea because of the fructose. Apparently it is ok to eat fruit because of the fiber content, but juice on its own is not so healthy. Maybe cutting the juice out would help you drop those couple of kilos faster? You could substitute it with a protein shake blended with fresh fruit or make your own fruit smoothie in a blender, something like that. Just an idea.

If your aim is to lose weight, there is absolutely no point just cutting out bread and nothing else. It simply won’t work - you have to lose carbs in general. My diet now includes virtually no bread (maybe once a month), but my belly is slowly creeping back.

Atkins states specifically that you need to follow his method exactly, and that’s what I did. I have no idea if any modifications to it (such as slowly reducing your carb intake) will have the desired effect, but as described, I can guarantee that it does what it says on the tin.

I suspect, if you feel lacking in energy while dieting, you’re simply not eating enough. If you cut out carbs, you have to eat a lot more (other stuff) to make up for it. I think a lot of people have the idea stuck in their heads that a diet must be low-calorie and low-fat, but it doesn’t work like that. Cutting out dairy especially is a big no-no, unless you’re allergic to it of course.

I’m gluten intolerant (celiacs) so I’ve been on a mostly gluten free diet for the last two years. I cook most of my own food so the only hard part is when eating out since so much food has a small amount of wheat added (like breaded meats or sometimes mashed potatoes). The other hard is finding a wheat free snack at 7-11.

It wasn’t until 6 months ago that I found the last ingredient affecting me. Science says that oats are okay but others have had mixed results. Since I stopped eating oats 6 months ago I’ve started eating much less and gained 5+kgs. that might sound strange but I was digesting the food that I ate.

My latest attempt is to significantly reduce the amount of soda (especially caffeinated) that I drink. I was drinking 1-2 cans/day and now I’m drinking 1-2 cans/wk. i also take an apple to work as a snack instead of potato chips.

I did wheat free for about two months…actually both wheat and rice. Rice, I’ve said goodbye to, unless I’m having a Biryani - which is like an annual event. Rice was big for me coz after 7 years of China-Taiwan, it had become my staple food.

Anyways, about wheat, at first it was a shocker. I did not get physically sluggish, coz I used to have one (or two) baked potatoes for my carbs and also a handful of nuts. My problem was emotional. I ‘needed’ to have the sandwich or pasta and worse dumplings. Took about two - three weeks of struggling with my demons. For me rotis and parathas are staples and the logical accompaniment to Indian food, so I had to drastically change what I ate, which mostly became stir fried vegetables and a lot of sprouted stuff.

Sugar for me was easy to cut out, but invariably it gets back into my diet. :blush: :blush: :blush: Dairy? I’ve tried and failed. And i’ve accepted that as my failing. I need my milk in my tea, yoghurt, cheese in my omelet :aiyo: and an occasional cup of choco-milk.

Anyways I’ve lost nearly 10 kgs in 6 months, so I’m happy with these experiments.

[quote=“divea”]I did wheat free for about two months…actually both wheat and rice. Rice, I’ve said goodbye to, unless I’m having a Biryani - which is like an annual event. Rice was big for me coz after 7 years of China-Taiwan, it had become my staple food.

Anyways, about wheat, at first it was a shocker. I did not get physically sluggish, coz I used to have one (or two) baked potatoes for my carbs and also a handful of nuts. My problem was emotional. I ‘needed’ to have the sandwich or pasta and worse dumplings. Took about two - three weeks of struggling with my demons. For me rotis and parathas are staples and the logical accompaniment to Indian food, so I had to drastically change what I ate, which mostly became stir fried vegetables and a lot of sprouted stuff.

Sugar for me was easy to cut out, but invariably it gets back into my diet. :blush: :blush: :blush: Dairy? I’ve tried and failed. And i’ve accepted that as my failing. I need my milk in my tea, yoghurt, cheese in my omelet :aiyo: and an occasional cup of choco-milk.

Anyways I’ve lost nearly 10 kgs in 6 months, so I’m happy with these experiments.[/quote]

Wow, nice one!

@Divea: good job on the weight loss! Have you rewarded yourself with some new clothes? :wink:

@UJ: good to have you on board in this wheat-free challenge! Post your progress here. Anyone else want to try it out?

I have to be clear that I’m just going low carb by cutting out baked goods, buns, crackers, noodles and pastas. I am not giving up my rice (which is half brown half white at home, and at restaurants I will choose brown only). Other items with wheat such as sauces, soups, soy sauce, chocolate I will continue to consume.

This morning I put on the pair of jeans that got me into this whole mess in the first place and they don’t feel as snug! :slight_smile:

A little background: I’m still bfing, eat dinner at home most days, take yoga/pilates twice a week, but no other exercise, in bed at 11, up at 7, nap an hour most afternoons. I have a terrible sweet tooth and snack on lots of crackers and junk. Since my last child was born, my abs have not been as “tight”, and there is a little spare tire around the mid section. I kind of give myself free reign on extra calories as I bf, but I know it is so wrong. I know it is possible to get rid of my spare tire, and it is something in my diet that causes the bloating. Though I fit into pre pregnancy clothes, the weight is distributed differently now, and not in a good way :laughing: Getting older just makes it all that much harder.

I’ll bet that if you can start gradually cutting out sugars as well, you’ll start seeing even bigger changes. The sugar thing is hard…i grew up with loads of sugar in my diet (from breakfast cereals to ho hos and fruit roll-ups in my school lunches to Pepsi and dessert with every meal), and it took me years to wean myself off of my sugar addiction as an adult. The problem was that it all started catching up to me…once I hit my mid-20’s, I couldn’t still eat that way and be skinny as a twig! :laughing: A blessing in disguise really as my father now has Type 2 diabetes and I would have probably gone down the same track had I not changed my diet.

All the best of luck with your new eating plan!!! :slight_smile:

[quote=“914”]@Divea: good job on the weight loss! Have you rewarded yourself with some new clothes? :wink:

[/quote]

Thank you. I didn’t. I have my old clothes from when I was thinner, that I only wore for a few months, and the feeling of being able to get into them is an achievement. Every sleeve that fits, every trouser that scales up the thighs is a lovely experience. :laughing:

914, one thing that helped me lose weight was Vitamin E. I used to be bloated quite a bit and I assumed it was fat and got more depressed and let fat reign until a doc gave me Vit. E and my mid section just deflated in about 10 days. Apparently it helps circulation and I can vouch for what it does to the skin and hair. So although you maybe exercising and eating right a 3 month course of super inexpensive Vitamin E. may get your abs just right!!! :laughing:

Oh and just for FIY, Red Beans - boiled and unsalted or unsweetened - is a powerful diuretic for water retention. I’ve had 3 bowls a day during my pregnancy and it was fab with no side effects! Just sayin’

Re. sugar: yep, I’m sure you’ll notice a huge difference if you can cut down or eliminate refined sugars. I was a bit of a cake/sweets addict, but the good news is, once you wean yourself off it, the craving never really comes back. Well, worked for me, anyway, and I was surprised how quickly I stopped missing it. Weeks, not months.

It has not been a week but here is an update. I wake up groggy. I tried to blame it on the baby, on sleeping late, but every single morning? It makes my afternoon naps so enjoyable.

While the bloating has gone, and the belly does not look as muffin-y, I think a few things need to be tweaked here. First off, whole wheat bread is not that bad, and I eat two a day only. So I am going to go ahead and go back to my two slices every morning. Without ww bread in the morning, I have nothing else to eat. However, the baozi, white noodles, pastries have got to go. I am going to cut down my rice consumption to 1/2 to 3/4 serving a night.

Bread-free is doable. But get used to feeling groggy each morning. Apparently that happens for the first few days, but I can’t function like that at 7 am. So will add in two slices in the morning, but cut down some rice at night. Win-win.

are you actually eating whole wheat bread or is it just colored white bread? Regardless you have to eat enough calories to feel good. One of my favorite wheat free breakfasts is quinoa with a banana, other fruit (kiwi, peach, pear, etc…) and frozen blueberries and a little syrup/honey. Quinoa is a little expensive but the overall meal is still pretty cheap.

I did keto (wheat- gluten-free low carb high fat diet) last year. It’s pretty easy in Taiwan, actually. As you say, it might be hard to get over the carb hump, but once you’re there, you’ll never go back. I lost 10kg of body fat in about a month. Seriously, once your body goes into Ketosis, the fat just melts away. However, I was pretty happy with that weight loss, so I then switched to a more paleo-type diet. I’ll have a small amount of rice every now and then or some potstickers, but I try to keep my carb intake very low to maintain my weight.

Someone mentioned Wheat Belly - I’ve heard nothing but good things about it, but haven’t read it yet. I would recommend Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes and the film Fat Head - both are eye openers of what carbs can do to your body and your health. If you’re interested, here’s an interesting infographic about the anatomy of a carb hump: imgur.com/VUffY (it’s too big to post, so follow the link).

Reviving this because I just got the results of a MAST allergy test back from a local doctor and I’m basically allergic to everything. Or, more specifically, wheat, milk, cheese (it specifies cheddar cheese in the English translation, I don’t know why), brewer’s yeast, cod, crab, shrimp, dust mites, dog and cat fur. All of these are through the roof, which didn’t come as quite that much of a shock given I’ve suffered chronic eczema all my life.

Edit: And soybeans. And eggs. Of all the things…

However, I’ve never been able to shift a distinct pot belly despite cycling sixty to eighty miles a week, sometimes up and down mountains, for the past several months. I thought it might be down to my diet, which could be better, but could also be a lot worse, and I googled around until I discovered the phenomenon of ‘wheat belly’ and wondered if it might be that.

Thing is, I don’t cook, neither does my wife, and we eat out all the time. Am I right in thinking you can get wheat-free loaves of bread? And are any such available in Taipei? And are there any wheat-free cereals out there, apart from oatmeal?