Gold card and taxes while not in Taiwan

With all the great information on Gold Card status on this site I am sure the answer is here, but it is eluding me. I have applied for the Gold Card under the economic category. Although I can’t move to Taipei until January, my family needs to go in August to start school (they will live with family who are permanent residents). Will I be liable for Taiwan and US taxes as soon as the Gold Card comes through and I take my family there, even if I am not physically in Taiwan this year for more than a couple weeks at a time? All my income is from a US company for work done in the US, plus some from a rental property and stocks.

Welcome to Forumosa :slight_smile:

In my (unofficial, unlicensed) experience, tax liabilities in Taiwan are normally calculated separately to visa issuance and based on physical presence. You will start needing to file a return in Taiwan once you have exceeded 90 days in the country, regardless of visa.

1 Like

I think this is correct. So this year @TroubleWithTribbles wouldn’t be liable for income taxes in Taiwan, but his family potentially might be.

1 Like

Thanks @fifieldt and @rooftopclown! My wife does not plan to work while in Taiwan, at least at first, so won’t have a personal income. But since her residency would be linked to mine and we file jointly in the US, I assume we would have to file jointly I’m Taiwan as well. That would complicate things.
Thanks again!