Gold Card Confusion

Not an expert, but this would be my take:

Once you have the gold card you can do whatever you want, irrespective of the category you received it under. However, if you’re fairly confident that you fulfill the requirements for Education (it seems like you do, but I haven’t checked the list again) and think you might want to continue working in education, I’d be tempted to apply under this category - solely because I think it might be slightly more impressive to potential education-related employers to have this word printed on the gold card. But I doubt it would be a big deal either way.

My situation was a bit similar (more details here) - I initially applied under Technology (one of the harder categories, but in my opinion more related to the majority of my work, namely, scientific/academic editing) but some of my documents confirming my qualifications were from China and notarizing them back at the start of this year would have been a massive pain in the ass. I therefore reapplied under Education on the basis of having a PhD from a top 200 university, and that was much easier.

I think the most likely outcome would be that you wouldn’t be outright rejected but rather asked to provide additional documents…at which point you should be able to switch categories like I did. So I wouldn’t be too concerned about this, personally.

My understanding is that renewal is assessed essentially as a new application (at least for the time being, although given that the scheme has only been around a couple of years there probably haven’t been too many cases of this yet). So I think you would still need to fulfill the original requirements.

I think you’re talking about applying under the second subcategory in Education, right? That is, “The person has been engaged in teaching and research for more than five years and in the past five years has worked at one of the top 500 universities in the most recent QS World University Rankings or Times Higher Education World University Rankings.”

So it seems that the “in the past five years” would still need to apply at the time of renewal. I agree with you that it might be difficult to meet the salary requirements after working in Taiwan for 3 years (I suspect a lot of people who applied under Economy, which I believe is the most common category of recipients, and have been working locally might have that problem in the next several years given the salary differences).