Gold Card freelancer / spouse question

Hello,
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere and I missed it. My wife and I are trying to navigate getting visas for a long-term stay (we are US nationals).

My wife should qualify for a Gold Card under Science & Technology, and easily meets the income threshold.

I have been primarily freelance for the last few years and may meet the income threshold but have no current proof of employment or W2 income to show.

Do I need to qualify for my own Gold Card, or am I covered by my spouse’s? If I need my own, is there a chance of qualifying as a freelancer?

Thanks pointing me in the right direction.

1 Like

Welcome to Forumosa, hope to see you and your wife in Taiwan soon.

As a spouse of a gold card holder you will be able to obtain residence. However, work rights are separate - you’ll need to find a company to sponsor your work permit.

If you can get your own gold card that will simplify things a lot. Salary is not the only way to qualify. I recommend having a look at the qualification check link from the Gold Card FAQ to see how else you may qualify.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I asked because I have a friend who is applying for a gold card and he said that whoever was checking qualifications had no idea about non-W2 income.

Another site mentions that one can qualify having earned a certain salary “at some point in the three years before applying.” Does anyone know if this is true?

1 Like