Gold Card holder's family members--- change visit visa to resident visa in TW?

I am a gold card holder.
My wife and kids are in Canada now.
As the resident visa application in Canada takes a few months (criminal record + medical exam, both need be VERIFIED by TECO Torornto). I am thinking to ask them to apply the visit visa and then change it to resident visa when they are in Taiwan.
Is this possible? Anyone did that before? Any suggestions?


My understanding is the special permission for gold card family members is suspended until February 2nd so maybe the process of the background and medical check may be ok?

Have you tried calling the Gold Card Office?