Gold Card Survey - Why Taiwan?

For me I needed a document to enter Taiwan to learn Mandarin, so I applied for a Gold Card and I got it. But I still do not know if I will be using it and coming to Taiwan or not, I am unsure of the “after-school”.

The choice was between Beijing (Tsinghua) and Taipei, but I dislike cold weather and Beijing gets very cold in the winter and I cannot stand it.
Plus I like Taipei more than Beijing as a city.

1 Like

Thanks @projectmaximus. Very helpful. I was thinking having an ARC at any point in the past would disqualifying.

I could be mistaken it is just what I recall, so you’ll want to double check that.

Edit: Just looked into it and it does appear that you wouldn’t be eligible for the tax breaks if you’ve previously worked in Taiwan. There’s also a separate requirement that you not live in or have household registration in the previous five years. Again, double check, but I think you are right about the ARC.

To be clear, the only thing you are not eligible for if you previously had an ARC is the tax benefit. You are definitely able to apply for the Gold Card if you have had an ARC previously.

2 Likes

To clarifyify, I had an ARC that expired about 20 years ago. When I applied for the Gold Card, I did not remember the number. After submitting the application I got a message on the portal asking me to amend my application with my old ARC number, which they provided for me. I am now at the passport verification stage, so I assume that having had an ARC in the distant past is not an problem. Not sure what happens if you have a current ARC.

Exactly the same for me !

1 Like

I’m a digital nomad, and my main motive is to learn Chinese. I am planning some new business in the mid future for which I need to be fluent in Mandarin and being able to read at a decent level (C1/HSK5-6). Taiwan is way easier to get residence/longer Visa than mainland China. Been to mainland 6 times, but never visited Taiwan - though after meeting some Taiwanese people I think I will prefer it a lot over China - because of the much better possibilities to do outdoor sports.
I wanted to fly out in March already, but my flight was 1:25 hours after the cutoff time. Didn’t know about the gold card back then - else I would have moved already this spring. Been waiting all the time but didn’t see a way to get to Taiwan…

I would have been fine doing visa runs - but right now without gold card I couldn’t even have entered Taiwan. I was considering applying from Thailand for a student visa for Taiwan (not possible from EU right now as far as i understood) - and on inquiring found out about the gold card - which is much better for me as I don’t need to quarantine twice plus be unsure if a student visa from Thailand without residence in Thailand would have been even possible.

2021 I will only spend below 6 months - but if I like it I will stay there all 2022/23 and also pay my taxes there (not a big difference to Cyprus actually and rather pay my taxes to a country I really like vs something that is tolerable like Cyprus for me.)

Will get my passport checked next Monday - and once approved (likely Tuesday I hope) book the next flight to Taipei and a return 6 months later…