Gold Card - Under Income Requirements

Hi all

I’m an American looking to move to Taiwan in the future with my current remote job. I work in IT and make $45,000 annually, so I’m under the requirement for the Gold Card, not to mention my skills and achievements aren’t extraordinary.

Does anyone have any experience/input on my likelihood of getting a Gold Card? Or what are my other options aside from re-entering on tourist visa, marriage, or ARC through teaching part time?

Thank you!

To clarify my skills, I only have a Bachelor’s degree and one IT certification with three years work experience and work as a Service Desk Technician.

You could study for your masters, and during your second year you would be able to work part time. If you decide Taiwan isn’t for you or can’t find a job afterwards, you go back to the US with a masters, some Chinese speaking ability and a good life experience.

You won’t get the gold card if you don’t fulfill the requirements with respect to either income or the specified professional achievements - I don’t think there’s any point applying if that’s the case. If you really want to come to Taiwan, you’d have to find some other way.

1 Like

You dont necessarily have to teach. see if you can find an IT job if you want too.

From my understanding, you can get a letter from your employer stating your income as proof that you meet the requirement. My point being, if your future income meets this requirement then you’d qualify, you do not have to rely solely on previous tax returns to show this requirement.

So…are you due a big raise anytime soon? Or, can you negotiate somehow to have your salary increased and reduce your benefits? Perhaps they need not pay for your health insurance since you won’t need it in Taiwan.

Of course, this begs the question…will your employer allow you to work remote from Taiwan? Cause there could be tax implications for them as well.

I’m quite far from the threshold, 45k vs 60-something-k.
Thanks though !

I mean you could get a student ARC, study for a masters and work at the same time. No income requirements for that.

Right now with covid-19 you can’t get student ARC - can you? Except from this list of 19 countries… Before applying for gold card I thought about flying to Thailand, quarantining there - then apply from Thailand for student visa. That’s pretty bothersome however as you need to quarantine twice…

I think you can get a student visa/ARC to study a degree, but you definitely can’t get one to study Chinese.