Gold!

I was listening to a podcast with my dog today, about the shiny yellow metal. For some reason, the interviewer was in Scotland - panning successfully for gold!

If gold was previously mined in Taiwan then there must still be traces around, and the heavy rainfall must wash it into the rivers. Have any of our entrepeneurial Taiwanese hosts made the news by looking for it, or am I a genius?

I have lots of free time, and dog thinks it’s a great idea.

Gold was mined in Taiwan, as far as its known most of it was found in the north.

A very good article on the history:
taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xItem=44620&CtNode=430

There’s a even gold museum: gep-en.tpc.gov.tw/econtent/theme/theme.asp

Quote from the site:
The Museum of Gold is housed in the former offices of the Taiwan Metal Mining Corp. The first floor exhibitions include gold discovery journey, Benshan tunnels (1-9), ore seam display and old mining equipment, mining transport systems and cultural artifact display. There is also an introduction to the Japanese WWII camp for Allied prisoners (1942-1945).
The second floor has gold as the theme, including gold characteristics, gold art works and a world record 220 kg 999 pure gold ingot which is unprecedented. You can touch it, too!
The Museum of Gold takes us to trace the gold river of history and shows us the enduring gold legend that is over 100 years old.

220 kg that would be = 220000 grams = 7073 troy ounce.
With a gold price of 940 USD/ounce right now that brick would be worth 6.648.620 USD in that museum, now?!

Anyways, Happy digging!!! :slight_smile:

No need to dig, that brick requires less effort & time, been there and touched it, and security seems pretty lax considering that this is supposed to be the real thing. :whistle:

:wink:

[quote=“Rascal”]…No need to dig, that brick requires less effort & time, been there and touched it, and security seems pretty lax considering that this is supposed to be the real thing. :whistle:

:wink:[/quote]

Yeah, it took me about 5 seconds to reach the same conclusion.

But Loretta, alas, I feel this venture will end as my and Omni’s quest for Chalcedony did. In madness, broken friendship and loss. Ever wonder where Ironman went to?

Or will it end as my business selling mastodon tusks to environmentally friendly Taiwamese who still wanted a cool chop did?

Or might it end as all east coast B&Bs opened by broken English teachers have?

I did pan for gold in the Yukon as a hobby for two summers. Never found much more than flecks though and would eat them. My vast experience naturally comes at a price should you want it.

MM, you’re on a roll, recently. by which I mean you have been writing some good posts, not that you are a slice of ham.

Loretta, your dog is great, and I would trust his judgement in most areas, but his knowledge of mining for precious metals is sketchy, to say the least. Exercise caution.

If you do go to Gold Museum I suggest to drop by the POW Memorial Park nearby. A small dedicated group of people worked with Taiwan government to create this park, as well as some other WWII POW memorials around Taiwan.

To learn more go and see each memorial location: http://www.powtaiwan.org/

This site has names of over WWII 4000 POWs in Taiwan. You may like to join the annual memorial ceremony in November at the Memorial Park. Go to website to add your name to information mailing list.

You may pan for gold at the museum for a mere NT100.

gep-en.tpc.gov.tw/econtent/info/info01.asp

good way to get your feet wet so to speak.