Golf

Anyone out there up for a game?
We try to get out once a month, on the weekend for 18 holes. There’s just two/three of us at the moment but we want to see if there are any more people wanting to play once in a while.

Do you have clubs I can borrow.I have a friend that will be interested as well,but the clubs are to expensive.We just go to the driving range and hit some balls with their clubs.

50nt = 30 balls.

You can rent a set of clubs and shoes from most, if not all courses. Cost is about 400-600 NT. They are generally good quality aswell.

We are probably playing this weekend in Hsinchu County at The Royal Kuan-Hsi Golf Club.
If you want to join us and if you have transport to get there then PM me . Cost is 3100 NT for 18 holes exclusive of club rental.

30 balls for 50NT!! I pay 75NT in Taipei.

i’m down, but need transport. let me know when your next outing is.

Anyone still golfing?

On a related note, I want to learn how to play golf and the club
nearby us charges 800NT/hr (min 10 lessons) for lessons. Is this
a good rate compared to lessons in the USA.

golf here is a luxury at best (other than the driving range). prices are astronomical - lack of space means high prices, and less competition to bring it down, although i read an article about japanese coming to taiwan to golf, because it’s a bargain (comparatively sepaking) :noway:

to see if your classes would be a good deal, you need a little more info. who is the pro? is s/he any good? can they speak a language that you understand? how many people are in the class (class, semi-private, private)? what do the lessons entail - are they general or specific to driving/chipping/putting?

sorry for all the q’s, but b4 you lay down your $$, find out if it’s worth it. i love playing golf back in canada, where you can get out on a good course for $30, about $800 NT. play three times aweek when i go back, to make up for not playing here.

never taken lessons, but i would like to as well, learn how to use my driver :help: just something to carry around right now.

I took lessons in Tainan from driving range pro Richard Tsai. He spoke only Japanese-English but got through it and improved my swing. Cost $9000/14 private self pace lessons but later he would always give me more tips while at the range. Took single lesson in USA once for $25/hour so costs nearly the same. Considering how much it cost to play the courses here, it was worth it, so I didn’t feel like I was wasting my green fee.

Many years ago, in Scotland, a new game was invented. It was ruled “Gentlemen Only…Ladies Forbidden”…and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.

God knows I have loved playing games and sports for as long as I can remember, but honestly I wish this game had stayed where it came from. I will blame it all on Dwight D. Eisenhower whom my High School American History teacher explained to me that his greatest contribution as President of the United States was the promotion of the game golf. I refuse to call it a sport, or call golfers athletes. It blows my mind that people can sit and watch somebody whack a little white ball and then yell like they just won the lottery when some fool tees off or putts into a little hole in the ground. Or how about the standing O or wild cheering for someone who just walks up to a green? This is nuts! They even have a golf channel. If people want to spend outrageous sums of money for this nonsense…whatever floats your boat.

Hey I am just bored and rambling so don’t take it seriously. I am all in favor of some good recreation. But, you should hear George Carlin’s rant about golf…hilarious!

If you can’t walk the walk, don’t talk the talk.

Unless you have tried to play golf, you wouldn’t know about practicing and practicing to be better. Or did you give up playing the piano because it was too hard?

Just like billards on an outdoor field, you must have good muscle memory to get that damn ball in the hole. Like swing a bat to hit a baseball, kicking a football between the posts, or even shooting an arrow into a bulls-eye, these sports all involved some sort of athleticism other than bring that mug of beer to your lips.

So quit bitching and get back to your cooking show. :raspberry:

I agree with Eric that golf’s not a sport and the players aren’t athletes. It also does have a terrible history of discrimination associated with it and golf courses are terrible for the environment. But it sure is beautiful out there on a golf course and I wish I knew how to play. I’ve only played twice and it’s a lot harder than I imagined (once was with a young kid who kicked my butt, the other time with my drunken friend who did hte same).

It’s strange how you try to hit the ball straight, but it flies off to one side or the other (usually into a lake), or you just take a big divet out of the turf and the ball hardly moves at all. I was terrible and the main reason I haven’t gone and tried again is it’s embarassing being so lousy at the game, taking stroke after stroke trying to get to the damn hole, when you’ve got the next group coming up behind you in plaid sweaters and yellow pants, pissed off that they got stuck behind a bunch of clowns who never should’ve been allowed into the club to walk on their grass.

But I still hope to learn how some day, particularly because I’m getting old fast and I’m technically a “professional” person (at least by job description) and isn’t golf what you’re supposed to do if you’re old or a professional person? I wish I lived near a driving range, because that seems like the best way to start. Then maybe lessons. But given the astronomical prices here, and the crappy (hot) weather, maybe I’ll wait till I get back to the states to try it again.

I haven’t heard it, but I bet it’s not as funny as Robin Williams’ golf rant.
Golf’s an OK game, I suppose. I played a bit when I was younger – 15 handicap – OK, I played a lot :wink: , but come on, it’s a game or a good walk ruined, depending on your point of view, but not a sport in the athletic sense.

[quote=“sandman”]
Golf’s an OK game, I suppose. I played a bit when I was younger – 15 handicap – OK, I played a lot :wink: , but come on, it’s a game or a good walk ruined, depending on your point of view, but not a sport in the athletic sense.[/quote]

Golf when you’re young isn’t an athletic game but when you get old, it’s athletic. For me it’s like an eco-challenge: zig-zagging from one side of the fairway to the next, climbing up steep banks and traversing along them, scaling trees, running out onto adjacent fairways to whack the ball without disturbing the group playing there, clambering around rocky streams all in search of that darn ball.

Tips on golf from non-players…

Playing 18 holes involve walking more than 4-5 miles. Considering most doctors want you to walk every day for 20 minutes, that’s 3-4 hours more during an average outing of golf. Do you have the stamina to walk four miles?

Young proffessional golfers include the gym in their work out. Tiger Woods is able to hit the ball 300+ yards not by some expensive magic club. That is only achieved by training every day to develop your ATHLETIC skills or muscle memory.

Are you naive enough to believe these pros spend the week goofing around before showing up for a tournament? So if your idea of Athleticism is to sweat or run out of breath, remember the experience of walking (not golf carting) 18 holes during “crappy (hot) weather.”

For this generation, Tiger has been in the forefront of breaking the discrimination barrier. Yet other sports are not without their history of discrimination. Baseball is a prime example. But thankfully, that is now history.

And for athleticism, compare baseball to golf. How much running does a pitcher do in a 9 innings? These guys don’t even play the full game! Is there subsitution in golf? AL pitchers in the US don’t even bat and therefore never run. Yet, they are highly praised athletes for delivering a ball. Aren’t pro golfers admired for the same?

So if you have played golf once in your life, you understand how tough it is. If you have ever been a pitcher, you understand how tough that is.

SPORT is defined as 1. a source of diversion:recreation 2. sexual play 3. physical activity engaged in for pleasure: a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in.

ATHLETE is defined as: A person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.

Again, don’t talk the talk unless you walk the walk.

Blah blah blah.

Can I walk 5 miles? Ha. I’ve climbed to 18,000 feet in the Himalayas. I’ve ridden 100 mile bike rides over mountain passes. I’ve competed in triathlons. I can walk 5 miles.

I admit golf takes a lot of skill, like billiards or darts, but like a lot of people, I don’t consider it an athletic event because it doesn’t require great strength or test ones lungs or heart. There may be some golfers who go the gym, but plenty of them are fat. I’m not a great follower of the sport, but I recall a guy who won the Masters or some other big tournament a few years ago and everyone loved him cause he was the “common man,” fat, divorced and nothing spectacular, just an ordinary guy. By comparison, you don’t see a lot of fat guys riding in the Tour de France. That’s an athletic event.

Your comparison to baseball is a good one. Both involve a lot of time standing around doing nothing, interspersed by a brief moment of action every so often. But in baseball at least one has to run occasionally. Taking a leisurely stroll (or riding a cart) around a golf course may be exercise for you, but I guess we all have different standards.

If you enjoy golf good for you, have fun, but you’ll never convince me it’s an athletic event.

It depends on where the bar is (not the drinking kind). By your definition, walking 4-5 miles is an athletic achievement as it does test the heart and lungs of some people. Granted it doesnt require great strength but then again many so called athletic events don’t either.

Walking around of golf, especially in Taiwan, is an exhausting experience even for someone like me who rode across Canada last year and participates in many distance running events including triathlons.

OK maybe golf’s not athletic in the strictest sense but it’s damn good exercise and a great way to spend a day socializing with buddies. Much like many other so-called athletic sports.

Golf is a ton of fun in a bag and a bog. But it ain’t sports. As somebody said already, it’s more like darts or billiards and less like baseball or tennis.

In the US, the problem is that everybody wants to ride on a damn cart instead of walk the course. To me, that’s the real fun in golf: walk 18 holes with a dorky pull-cart of some kind behind me (I can carry my bag for 18 holes, too, but then my game truly does suffer because my shoulder muscles suffer from too much fatigue to work properly as hinges in my swing along about the 14th hole or so). It’s a long, happy walk with occasional stops.

I’m not really so different from my fellow Americans, though. They ride carts and stay fat - eschewing even the idea of walking the course (“Walk?!” they roll their eyes in their fat eye sockets, “only for loosers” as they use their instep and a putter to pick up a gimme cuz they can no longer bend over that far safely) - in order to better manage their score. For them, the score’s the only thing.

The score’s important to me, too, but I like to get on my high horse and walk rather than ride because, like MT, I get riled at the idea of such ridiculous indulgence as a ridiculous golf cart (at least us$40 to rent one) on a ridiculously beautiful, totally sculpted (fake) piece of ridiculously maintained real estate. And walking 6,000-7,000* meters is actually pretty good exercise, especially with a pull-cart in tow.

For me there ain’t nothin’ like walking down a deserted fairway of a late October afternoon, game oiled and polished after a summer’s play, looking for my ball under all those damn beautiful maple leaves and in that strangely slanted light that can only mean winter’s almost here. At least the ball’s in the fairway, though. (ok, if you’re from the southern hemisphere, use what, March or April instead)

I’d skip learning golf in Taiwan. Don’t get me wrong, golf is always fun, but if you’re like me and the score’s the thing, well, then you’ll never be able to practice enough to be real happy.

*EDIT: Ok, I ain’t that good. If the course’s, say, 6,000 meters then I’m probably walking 9-10,000 meters or so. It’s excellent exercise; if you’re carrying your own bag rather than pulling it, it’s excellent exercise.