Good 7-eleven Food

Stopped in for loadup on the way to the Buck Theatre on Sunday, they had a kind of a skinny chili brat deal (called German Sausage?) that was dang tasty.
Heated up, mind.

I find it hard to believe those 3 words are in the same sentence.

Step into the 80s, Jethro.

[quote=“darienpeak”]
Also, I walked into the local Family Mart today, expecting totally different stock, but the items were exactly the same, down to the AB yogourt which I have been drinking regularly in a desperate attempt to stave off the dreaded laduzi as long as possible. How can competing stores carry exactly the same products, down to the pre-made meals?[/quote]

The ready to eat food items are different in different neighborhoods and in different sized 7-11s. For example, a 7-11 in the Wu Gu Industrial district whose clientele includes the numerous Thai factory workers is like a giant 7-11 food deli. It carries a big selection of cold noodles, curries, vegetable and potato salads, and fresh fruits, including Thai style green papaya salad. As anyone who has lived in Taiwan awhile knows, raw vege salads are quite low on the list of things Taiwanese eat. The number of salads made me stop and take a closer look. They were stacked prominently in the cooler so that they were the first big item you saw as you entered the 7-11. They also stock individual packets of salad dressing for 10NT. It also stocks a lot of the microwave treats in bags. Not too many burgers or sandwiches and I saw only one slice of pizza. A 7-11 near Nan Jing West road and Yen Ping North Rd. carries market vegetables. This really surprised me as I don’t recall seeing them at any other 7-11. I saw sub sandwiches in a downtown Taipei 7-11, but not at the shops near my house here in the New Taipei City.

I believe the word you are looking for is ‘oxymoron’.[/quote]
+1 on that. Though I got stuck for food earlier this year, the night before running a half-marathon.
But you’re never that far from a 7 or a Family Mart. And I had one of each. So I looked for healthy:

Ended up with one of these. It wasn’t that bad, except that I didn’t read it had bacon in, and had to pick all those little cubes of dead pig out. And despite all that, it still wasn’t bad.

And a few of these. They probably saved me. The healthiest thing I could find.

I think I got two bananas from 7, but it didn’t have much else in the way of Good Food.

Step into the 80s, Jethro.[/quote]

El Cheifareno, It’s not been the 80’s since 2000. We have 3 digits now.

It blew my mind to find out they have made cafe’s out of these things. Like I’d actually want to hang out at a 7-11 if I wasn’t in the parking lot drinking underage.

The NT$55 pork chop bian dang is pretty dang good.

Pleasantly surprised at the burrito I just had.
First time I saw one at the 11.

IMG_20180628_210523

The cheese + hot dog one isn’t good.

Yeah, was not about to try that one.
Something about any hot dog in a convenience store…

Really?
I beg to differ, I thought they were pretty darn good.
FWIW, it’s more of a brat than a hot dog

As far as a convenience store hot dog goes, why should it be any better or worse than one at Costco, or an Orange Julius, or a street cart, or Coney Island?
7-11 is the number one purveyor of hot dogs in the US, where they should know.

Caveat: Obviously, we’re talking freshly prepared, this doesn’t apply to that last sad bastard entering its 5th hour at the back of the roller grill when you come in for beer at 2 am, the one that looks like a Lincoln Log