Good blender for vegetable shake?

Ok, I want to make veggie shakes like those jin li tang you get in health food stores. I’m tired of making salads every night. Only my blender makes a pulp instead of a juice. I don’t find a little fiber but I don’t want to chew my drink.

Any idea how expensive a blender I need to be about to puree vegetables well? I will only be pureeing green veggies like lettuce, spinach, sprouts, cabbage. No hard veggies.

Also, any recommendations?

the vita-mix is fabulous.
it’s made in in the US
quite pricy
about $399 US
or they sell in the Taiwan for 17,000 NT at the organic shops

[quote=“webster”]the vita-mix is fabulous.
it’s made in in the US
quite pricy
about $399 US
or they sell in the Taiwan for 17,000 NT at the organic shops[/quote]

Ok, that is far more than I want to pay.

Just get a juicer. They don’t cost much – probably a grand or so. Any electrical appliance/kitchenware shop will have them.

I second that commotion

I am sooooo glad you have returned. The only thing I hate about juicers is the mess afterwards.

Oh, and can you “juice” lettuce and such?

You can juice damn near anything - and the better models have a setting for how thick you want the juice. At one time or another I’ve put just about every kind of vegetable I could get my hands on in the juicer, including lettuce - and it always comes out great. Fresh carrot juice is to die for. Mix and match is rarely disappointing.

Yeah, juicers can be a bitch to clean, but only if you wait. If you take a minute or two right after you make the juice, everything washes off very easily in water. Just be sure to tie the garbage baggie up real tight or you’ll be inundated with gnats…

You can juice damn near anything - and the better models have a setting for how thick you want the juice. At one time or another I’ve put just about every kind of vegetable I could get my hands on in the juicer, including lettuce - and it always comes out great. Fresh carrot juice is to die for. Mix and match is rarely disappointing.

Yeah, juicers can be a bitch to clean, but only if you wait. If you take a minute or two right after you make the juice, everything washes off very easily in water. Just be sure to tie the garbage baggie up real tight or you’ll be inundated with gnats…[/quote]

Wel, now that we have food recycling in Taipei I guess I would just throw it in with the peels.

Great news on the lettuce. I think I will prepare a few days drinks at a time to cut down on cleanup. :notworthy:

Ooh, not something I’d recommend unless you have a handy supply of preservatives and maybe some pasteurizing equipment. The first time I got my juicer, I filled a container with orange juice - it was brown and undrinkable in a matter of hours. Unless I miss my guess, juicing is a strictly from-the-juicer-to-the-stomach proposition. I always set mine to the thickest possible (minimal detritus) and just got into the habit of doing immediate cleanup (leaving it go for an hour just once is all it takes to learn the value of that…). It’s well worth the minimal hassle, though, since fresh juices are amazingly delicious and unbeatable, especially the veggie juices. If you really get into it, you might even want to check out “The Juiceman’s Power of Juicing” - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446365483/qid=1136532121/sr=12-1/002-2221423-2944835?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Ooh, not something I’d recommend unless you have a handy supply of preservatives and maybe some pasteurizing equipment. [/quote]

well, yes, I do have that UHT device in the spare room.

I’ll be right over with a crate of oranges. :smiley: