Good books on cross cultural relationships/Chinese psychology?

So I’ve accepted it: Despite some awful past experiences as well as amazing ones, I know that more Chinese (or Taiwanese) men await in my future. One would think I’m an expert by now, but less than half a year out of an intense 3 year relationship followed by a series of flings, I’m still trying to make sense of just what the F happened. I guess in a way I want to find closure, to figure out what was what: what was mine, what was his, and what belonged to our respective cultures.

Idk, its not really so much about him anymore. I’m back in the states now and seeing other people, but still I’m studying Chinese everyday and am fascinated by the prospect of going to China, HK, and possibly back to Taiwan someday. So I know dealing with, and probably dating Chinese people is inevitable.

Can anyone recommend any good books on understanding Chinese people, particularly Chinese men? I think it would help to put the past in perspective and simplify things in the future.

~Thanks

Try Richard Hartzell’s “Harmony in Conflict”. It was written awhile ago, but things haven’t changed that much between people’s ears.

Steve Crook’s “Dos and Don’t in Taiwan.”

Kongzi and Mengzi

A Westerner reading Kongzi will often get the sarcasm, so only take that as a good reference book if you’re going to take every single word literally, as it is written.

No interpreting!

The other two books sound interesting :smiley:

The Geography of Thought: How Asians and Westerners Think Differently…and Why by Richard E. Nisbett

CultureShock! Taiwan: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette
and
The Art of War :slight_smile: