Good "Brainy" Magazine Suggestions

There you go. You do have to involve the head when using that. :wink:

The Economist and Private Eye. That’s all you need from the UK end anyway.

What, no Viz?

HG

Popular Science
edit: no idea why that url is not working

Popular Mechanics

The Shed

New York Review of Books, not just books but essays etc.
nybooks.com/

Posted eleswhere, but here is a great selection of higher end articles and links to magazines/newspapers, etc.

They review the top articles with a brief paragraph and offer links. Arts & letters Daily has been my home page ever since I strated on the net, but don’t let my lack of brains scare you off, there really is rich pickings in here.

HG

Wired
Fast Company
Foreign Affairs

Three pages and you philistines have yet to mention Smithsonian magazine or National Geographic.

:nono:

I’m getting into kids’ magazines since I am experimenting with using different forms of reading materials with my students. Cicada and Muse magazines are really good for older kids. Cricket is good for elementary school and junior high school students. I wish I had more magazines as a kid. I got my brother’s handed down Highlights for Children, but never any of my own. My mom got Smithsonian for a little while and I always tore through them for fresh reading material.

And I am giving my niece a subscription to Ladybug for her 4th birthday in October and my nephew Babybug magazine for his 2nd birthday in November.

Anyways, you want intelligence? Go for Smithsonian.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Posted eleswhere, but here is a great selection of higher end articles and links to magazines/newspapers, etc.

They review the top articles with a brief paragraph and offer links. Arts & letters Daily has been my home page ever since I strated on the net, but don’t let my lack of brains scare you off, there really is rich pickings in here.

HG[/quote]

Thanks! I’ve never seen this and it is just up my alley.

As for Miltownkid, if you want the mag in paper form, go with UTNE reader. That rocks and allows you to skip from topic to topic.

Well, my mom sent me three UTNEs and I took one to my Penghu (well small island off of) trip this weekend. I reall shouldn’t be posting here after 4 hours of UNbrainy activities, but… I took on of the UNTEs with me and it is easily at least one of the magazines I’ll subcribe to. Plus it’s once every 2 months.

Does anyone have a good online magazine distributor that will ship international subscriptions here?

I want to subscribe to
Ranger Rick, Psychology Today and Family Fun among others.

I find the international subscriptions are sometimes 100% more than the domestic subscriptions. That’s not reflected fairly in the shipping costs.
(If you sugest that my family just mail it to me… My family doesn’t like to to the post office often.)

Thanks.

miltownkid;

If you aren’t reading Wired (as several other posters have suggested), you are off the grid. I didn’t see any comment about it from you, but from what I know about you - this is your mag. You can get some articles online at www.wired.com.

Do ya self a favor.

:wink:

I always thought Wired was too “hardcore” for me (well use to.) I think I’ll grab one from the 101 this weekend.

Brainy magazines? and no one has mentioned the New Yorker or Atlantic Monthly yet? Heavens! :astonished:

miltownkid, save yourself some cash. Here are a few more memorable articles from the past few years:
Cecil Balmond: wickedly creative engineer/ architect.
Manufactured diamonds.
Stop global warming: make the oceans less anemic.
The US vs. Microsoft (an article that helped quash the original judgment)…this was the main article in the first Wired that I bought. It’s about a court case… and I couldn’t put it down! Damn thing kept me up until 3 am.

All right and good but if you know the real miltownkid this is the link he probably wants. wired.com./news/columns/0,71 … wn_index_4

:wink:

I’m old fashioned. I don’t want to read a computer screen. There is a really huge difference between the domestic subscriptons and the international subscriptions. The cost of printed matter shipping or even first class doesn’t fairly reflect the markup.

There must be some good distributors out there? Then I can read the mags and join the discussion.
I know that this is a little off topic but it would help a lot… Thanks.
Magazines of interest: Yankee, Ranger Rick, Psychology Today, Family Fun.

I can’t lavish enough praise on The New Yorker. The only drawback is it comes every damned week, so ever since my bro got me a subscription at xmas I’ve been reading like mad to keep up. But it’s fascinating reading, extremely well-written, on a broad range of subjects, punctuated by the world’s greatest collection of cartoons. This weekend I was able to finish one thick issue containing articles on the following:

• The very popular US TV show – 24 – in which the show’s hero every week tortures a terrorist suspect to try to elicit some truth from him, and how the show is a hit with not just the general public but also with top Bush administration leaders and the military, despite the fact that it glamorizes torture, shows it as a legit tool, and falsely leads fans to blur the line between fiction and reality and to believe torture is effective; and the creator of that show, an extreme conservative buddy of Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh.

• Dominos Pizza founder Tom Monahan, and how he became one of america’s wealthiest men, and is also a fanatical Catholic and is now giving it all away for his dream of building a whole Catholic town complete with cathedral and major university.

• Robert Lang, a former rocket scientist (literally) with BA, MA, PhD in electrical engineering and physics from CalTech and Stanford, who has more than 46 patents in lasers and fiberoptics and gave up a career in high-tech to become a professional origami maker (which the author likened to giving up a career as a neurosurgeon to become a professional knitter) at which he is recognized as one of the world’s greatest, much to the chagrin of the Japanese, and is surprisingly making a very good living at it, not just designing and creating shapes for beauty but also for top science and medical purposes.

• How Poetry magazine inherited $200 million from an heir of the Eli Lilly pharmaceutical family, and whether all that money will help the state of poetry or not.

• The 5 fishermen from Mexico whose boat was dragged to sea last year and they ended up drifting 5000 miles over 9 months, how they survived (including making fish hooks and line from parts from their engine and barnacles from the side of the boat as bait to catch small fish, which they used as bait for larger fish; and diving onto the back of sea turtles and wrestling them onboard, etc) and how it affected them.

• Patricia Dunn, former Chairman of HP, and why/how she decided to hire an outside investigator firm to engage in immoral, fraudulent practices to spy on her Board of Directors, including snooping on their emails and telephone records, which led to a scorched earth attack against her by fellow Board member Tom Perkins, who is an arrogant billionaire father of HP and of Silicon Valley, and to criminal charges still pending against her (sad story, though, given that she’s likely dying of cancer).

All that, along with great fiction (which I admittedly skip over most of the time), poetry and cartoons. THAT is why I just don’t have time for Chinese lessons. :slight_smile:

Previous issues have contained interesting articles on:

• Pro football great, Tiki Barber

• Whether the problem with Enron was too little public disclosure or too much

• Google’s effort to put every book ever written online in so their entire text’s can be perused in a searchable database

• The tale of how one white american from Southern California – Adam Gadahn – was raised in a Christian family, grew up, converted to Islam and gradually became a devoted convert of Al Qaeda