Good butchers or meat suppliers in Taipei?

Thanks for the link olm, that’s good to know.

Thanks Olm, I live in Neihu right now so I should be close. Have you been to Costco? And if you have, do you think the meat is higher quality at this place than Costco?

I want to buy my girfriend’s Dad some meat as a gift. He is a chef and LOVES cooking all the time. Seems like all he eats is pork, but she said he likes beef and lamb also. As I mentioned I would like to by a grill.

I will look around to find a Weber if they sell them here. IN the US that is all I use. I love Weber. They are relatively cheap and are really superior to alot of gas grills that cost 3 times as much.

I ate at that Japanese BBQ place in Neihu on Wende a couple weekends ago. My advice–don’t go there. It was really expensive and the meat was like dog food. It was so tough even sliced thin it was barely chewable. Her Dad thought it sucked too. I was pissed that they charge that much for that kind of food. The seafood was silly. I mean who wants to BBQ a crayfish claw for 30 mins to get a teaspoon of meat? I mean I think it was a crab but you know what I mean. In order to get filled up at that place I would have to bring a lunchbox with my own sandwiches packed in it. I ended up eating at Macdonald’s on the way home.

Yes, I have been to Costco. Unfortunately I cannot reliably comment on the meat quality there, since I’m no expert at all :wink:

I guess the quality there is OK, but feeling tells me the stuff you get at Jason’s (101 basement) would probably be better quality. But really, if your GF’s father is receiving this stuff as gift, better wait for some expert to comment on that, don’t rely on my expertise :sunglasses:

The only stuff I got from Mayfare so far was around 10 duck breast. They smelled totally fresh, and tasted really good - although I have never seen so much fat on a duck breast before :eh:

Thanks for that great tip, Olm!

Hey Gifthorse, there’s a thread on where to find grills (I just merged several), here. Have a look!

TienMu Butcher Shop (if it is still open)

We had a full leg of lamb from Mayfull for a Christmas party recently. It was great! :lick:

You happy bastard have an oven? :sunglasses:

Anyway, how much was it per kg, approximately?

[quote]Gifthorse
I want to buy my girfriend’s Dad some meat as a gift. He is a chef and LOVES cooking all the time. Seems like all he eats is pork, but she said he likes beef and lamb also. As I mentioned I would like to by a grill.[/quote]
You should let your girlfried’s Dad talk to those Mayfull guys then. I believe they give a much better deal to restaurants or professional chefs.

Just been there, first impression… it is very, very, very small.
I seem to have seen some smoked bacon sold in chunk like in Europe at a good price, next time I will check with the ladies, they seemed very busy when I was there.

Yes, their “sales” room is extremely small. They don’t do much end customer business obviously. They do have huge storage facilities attached, though - so if there is anything special you need, they will go there and 5-10 minutes later return with the wanted items fresh from the warehouse. Thats also why you should not go their during lunchtime or on sundays, because there will be noone to get that stuff for you.

[quote=“olm”]
Anyway, how much was it per kg, approximately?[/quote]

Not sure, I didn’t order it.

About their showroom; their business is mostly wholesale, but you can go there to purchase meat, as well. We use their ground pork and beef at our factory.

Can one order a kilo or two, or is this for larger orders only?

As far as I know you can get almost any quantity, also small ones.

This place has Australian beef, and very reasonably priced NZ lamb chops, frozen, as well as an interesting assortment of imported foodstuffs, mostly European:

P&P Food & Spices 東遠
Taibei, Zhong1zheng4 District, Jin1men2 Jie1, 9-14, 1F
金門街9-14, 1F
This street runs southwest off of Roosevelt, just southwest of Shida. Take Heping westward to Roosevelt; turn left, go about 200+ yards, and turn right; after a ways it’s on your left (small entrance, not well marked)
2365-0633

3/2010 EDIT: lamb chops are also available at Mayful, Jason’s and through El Toro (PM him).

The other thing to do is learn your cuts of meat so you can order from the wet markets. You can teach them how to trim the cuts the way you want - get access to spring chickens…etc…

Also, the next time you go home, get a nice butchers knife. That way you can, let say, buy a whole rack and trim it yourself - just remember to get them to do any sawing you need or you’ll be at it with a hacksaw. I got a bunch of lamb shanks and forgot to do this and had to borrow a sawzall. Please don’t tell the guests.

If you want pork sausage but you want it all lean, having the wet market guy grind it for you is best; then you can add a bunch of olive oil later to replace the pork fat. :smiley:

Oh what the heck: is there anywhere I can buy bone-in skin-on chicken breasts?

A lot of Cook’s Illustrated recipes use them. Thus far I’ve the chickens-cut-into-pieces instead.

Wellcome’s sometimes got these “jipai”, which are bone-in and skin-on… something. Was really hopeful but used them once and they tasted awful - it didn’t seem like a “Boy I screwed this recipe up good!” bad taste, but rather a “Uh oh I’m going to have a long night, aren’t I?” bad taste. (Although that fortunately didn’t happen.)

Now, I want to know something else though, where in the name of all things holy did you find veal in this country?

mayfull.com.tw/

i’ve been asked by a number of people where they can get healthy, higher quality meat and the above is where we get ours. They have a good range, you can order online, and the delivery is very quick. Usually the next day. IIRC they even have organic beef from New Zealand.

If anyone has any experience with them, please feel free to share.

[quote=“Formosa Fitness”]http://www.mayfull.com.tw/

I’ve been asked by a number of people where they can get healthy, higher quality meat and the above is where we get ours. They have a good range, you can order online, and the delivery is very quick. Usually the next day. IIRC they even have organic beef from New Zealand.

If anyone has any experience with them, please feel free to share.[/quote]

They have been mentioned here a few times, if I recall correctly for the first time when I asked where to find specific kinds of duck breast. No specific thread for that company though, yet.

So my impression is: Very good choice of frozen meats - if you come during their warehouse’s opening hours they can get (within 15min or so) almost everything for you. If you come at a time that this warehouse is closed, though, the shop is super small, basically two freezer boxes of meats plus some overpriced wines etc. So far the people seemed to be knowledgeable and nice, but speak little to no English. Not too cheap, but also not very expensive I think. I didn’t know about the “order” option you mentioned - thanks, I gotta try that!