I’m considering the purchase of a entry level digital SLR in the next few months. I’ve been looking at Canon and Nikon; it’s a hard decision, either the forthcoming Nikon D50 or the Canon 350D.
I wonder if there are any good camera shops in Taipei? Where do the pros go? I’d like a place that will let me bring a memory card and try out the cameras. And I’d like to talk to people who talk to pros all the time and really know what they’re talking about. English would be nice but not necessary.
So far it’s hard to decide. In favor of each company are:
- faster flash sync for fill flash
- quicker access to common functions on D70 (though maybe not the case for the D50), many low end D-SLRs sacrifice usability and bury functions in menus.
- D70 kit (I hope D50) comes with a good mid-range zoom lens that would cost me $600-700 US with Canon
- they’ve been leading in the pro market for a while; Nikon is still catching up
- much more R&D money, many say tech is years ahead of Nikon
- seems to have better lens technology
- fast telephotos seem cheaper for Canon; Nikon seems to reserve newer technologies for pro lenses
- better auto-focus and image stablization (some say you must use Canon if you want AF), though it may be a while before I buy $30k+ NT professional telephoto lenses