Good camera shop

Hey Garry, have you ever heard of the website called Digital Photography Review or DP Review for short? Their web address is dpreview.com There are literally tens of thousands of digital camera enthusiasts there to discuss the differences. They are at least a dozen threads on this topic now in their forums. They even reviewed the D50.

Hi Hobart,

yeah thanks. I’ve read so many websites about cameras.

[quote=“gary”]Hi Hobart,

yeah thanks. I’ve read so many websites about cameras.[/quote]

Heh, yeah at some point in time, you just have to stop reading and buy the thing and snap photos before you really know.

Never owned a D-Cam before but in my SLR days, I was a Canon guy but for a long while stopped and then purchased a Nikon package with Tamron lenses. I really liked it-made me forget the Canon. I think I’m pretty agnostic when it comes to the Canon vs Nikon wars. There are enough fine cameras out there for everyone. Just get one and go snap some pics and go from there is my motto.

I hope to buy a Nikon SLR with a digital back one of these days. I can’t see myself having all that gear and figuring out which one to bring D Cam or regular Cam or point and shoot? :unamused:

Be great to bring along to the Forumosa hiking tours going on now :smiley:

I am particular though about know about all the features and how I’d use it.

So far I’m really not liking the Canon 350D interface. I haven’t used their more prosumer or pro SLRs; they have scroll wheels though some functions may still be harder to access.

I really like Nikon cameras from the D70 up; their command and sub-command dials make common features like white balance (+ fine tuning), ISO level, aperture, and shutter speed very quick to access.

Fast, quick, and easy interfaces are important to me. :slight_smile:

I’m waiting to hear how the D50 will perform without white balance fine tuning. Among other things, I’d also like to know more about flash fill and when I’d use the Nikon’s faster 1/500 flash sync.

Either way, if I drop 60k NT on one brand and then some day need to switch, no biggie. It might hurt my wallet but I’ll have fun doing it. I figure an SLR, a few lenses will do me fine for at least a year while I get acquainted.

I own the 20D. I went through the same thing you were going through comparing the D70 and the 20D. The pictures of the same thing side by side made the decision easier. I noticed a difference.

Hobart,

I’m gonna have to try the 20D. I definitely do not like the interface of the 350D. If I look at the best of the Canon SLR interfaces, I could probably guess at their direction, what they’re gonna do next. If I’m happy with my guess and think they’ll change in the way I want, I’d be ok with a 350D and then say to myself, the next one will be better.

From just looking at the 350D and the D70 or D50, I choose Canon. Less for their AF ability–is it that bad; why do people say no to Nikon for sports–than their big easy to read menus and quick access to the features I want.

How’s the 20D?

I love dials and wheels. The 20D, the iPod, the Nikon command dials. Some places, buttons don’t belong.

hey Hobart,

can I check out your 20D sometime? cafe, bar, park, over a beer, or pizza. I’d love that. Give me the 20D tour! :help:

[quote=“gary”]hey Hobart,

can I check out your 20D sometime? cafe, bar, park, over a beer, or pizza. I’d love that. Give me the 20D tour! :help:[/quote] Sure, how about one day next week. Monday or Tuesday, but I want to ask you lots of programming questions. I am having trouble with my network. I can build a PC from scratch out of parts, but I suck at networking.

Hobart,

of course. Programming maybe a little harder for me. But if’s networking or IT, I’ve been there done that.

I have stuff on monday and tuesday. i’ll give you my email.

funny, i keep going back between nikon and canon. i really like nikon’s controls.