Good Coffee Shop in Taichung

Plans are to meet at Café Lulu around 1:30 if anyone is at all interested.

If anyone has ever heard of Panama Hacienda La Esmeralda Geisha, Cafe Lulu has some (you can verify it here). It’s an unforgettable cup of coffee, that’s for sure.

There’s another one called Forro. It’s in an alley just off of Zhong Ming Nan Rd., near the Tai Zhong Gang Rd. intersection. I had a cappuccino ($120NT). It was good–certainly above average, if a little bland for my tastes. I think I’ll ask them to put less milk in next time, but I think that’s just me. Most people would probably like it as it is. Unfortunately–for me, anyway–they only offer espresso-based coffee. The do have other drinks for non-coffee drinkers, but no brewed coffee.

It’s a quaint little place with a tasteful-yet-low-cost style. The alley is nice and quiet. The outdoor bar seating is a nice idea for the spring and fall. The unique thing with this place is the upstairs is a B & B. I’m not sure how that will work out, but it is different, that’s for sure.

There’s a link to a map in the top, right-hand corner of their website:

forrocafe.blogspot.com/

For those who like coffee, I thought I’d give a recommendation. I’m currently enjoying a coffee from Cafe Lulu called Columbia Valencia (named so after the origin of the beans). If you use that name, they’ll know which one you are talking about. It isn’t too acidy or sour, so it may be more to the average person’s liking. I started drinking it a day or two after it was roasted, but the sourness was more pronounced, and it was a little astringent. If anyone does give this one a try, definitely wait for about six days post-roast before starting to use it. It’s great. I’m brewing it in a French press, using a 4-minute steep. It has a bit of a nutty flavor, which I really like in my coffees.

Anyone else here into coffee?

I went to a coffee shop in the southern part of Taichung City, close to Chung Hsing/Zhong Xing University. It’s called Sweet Cafe. It’s very small, but quite new looking. There are just a few chairs at the bar and a very small table with two chairs–[strike]that’s all the seating[/strike]. He also has seating on the second floor. Two things stand out about this place. One is the classy-looking Diedrich coffee roaster right at the front for everyone to see. If you’re lucky, he may be roasting while you’re there (don’t worry, the smoke from the roaster gets exhausted outside). The other highlight is the espresso blend. It recently received a score of 91 points in November’s edition of Coffee Review. There has been some criticism of how Coffee Review prepares espresso for analysis, but that’s not a huge issue for us average folk (some espresso geeks are fanatical–to the point of taking the joy out of the beverage). I think it’s a good espresso to try, especially for people who aren’t used to espresso–certainly a better first step than either Orsir or Retro/Mojo (not that either of their espresso is bad, it’s just not what I would recommend for a first shot). If Sweet Cafe’s espresso seems a bit bitter right after it is made, just wait 30 seconds to a minute–the flavor will change. They also offer vac pot/syphon coffee in addition to cappuccinos and lattes, but I’m not sure what else; and they sell whole beans by the 1 pound bag for home brewing. An espresso is NT$90; a cappuccino is NT$110.

The only weird thing is their opening hours: 3:00pm - 11:00 pm, closed Sunday and Monday.

http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/taichungcity-sweetcafe

156-8 Guo Guang Rd., South District (Ying Cai Rd. becomes Lin Sen Rd., which then becomes Guo Guang Rd.)

Link to Google Maps

Also, for people who may like a bit of berry flavor in their coffee, Cafe Lulu has a nice natural-processed Ethiopian Sidamo Korate. For a bit of a nutty flavor–at least when brewed in a French press–check out their Brazilian Daterra Sunrise.

EDIT: My mistake, there is seating on the second floor as well.

Two more cafe’s, both with really good cappuccinos.

Café Vanessa - Located in a small alley very close to Nova computer store (you can see TGI Friday’s from the front door). The cappuccino is a little larger than other places and has a very nice flavor. Not too milky and not burnt–just great. The place is actually kind of quaint with a few small armchairs, a group picnic table, and some small cafe tables. There’s even seating at the bar. They offer espresso based drinks, as well as brewed coffee (syphon, drip, moka pot). Open from 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm. 403 台中市西區台中港路一段199巷一弄18號; TaiZhongGang Rd., Sec. 1, Lane 199, Alley 1, #18; tel. 04-2329-7220

Link to Google Maps

http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/cafe-vanessa

Match Café - Located right on TaiZhongGang Rd., between WenXin Rd. and DaDun Rd. This place is a fairly good size and rather trendy. The design is thick wood and metal. The cappuccino here is also very good. When I was there, there was a barista who spoke good English, but I don’t know how often she is scheduled to work. Open 10:00 am to 10:00 pm. 60-3 TaiZhongGang Rd. Sec. 2; tel. 04-2313-4597.

Link to Google Maps

http://www.match-cafe.com/

They both offer a very good value on their cappuccinos–Café Vanessa because of the size, and Match Café because of the price. Both, while having slightly different flavors, are very delicious.

I’ll add a couple of recommendations.

The first one is in Qingshui out in Taichung County. It’s on the main road about 1.5 kms north of the town. It’s kind of in the middle of nowhere, but the coffee is very good.

Lailin Coffee (來林咖啡)
No. 541-7 Zhongshan Road, Qingshui Township (台中縣清水鎮中山路541-7號)

The other is in Taichung City. There is no sign on the shop front and the opening hours can be a bit irregular.

Kāfēi Pù (咖啡鋪) commonly known as A-cai (阿財).
No. 37 Sec. 1 Meichuan West Road, Taichung City (台中市西區梅川西路一段37號). Near the Cultural Centre (近文化中心).

My fav at the mo is Sweet Café on Guoguang and Zhong Xing. Great (dark roasted) espresso beans. 2 big bags for 500NT or so. Closed Mondays and randomly. Open 3pm-late other times.

I’m kind of a coffee junkie and was looking for more info on Fair Trade coffee available by the bag in Taichung. I understand there is one up by Donghai Uni. Any other places? Costco?

[quote=“rice_t”]東海和平咖啡館 (Peace Cafe)
04-26317296
台中縣龍井鄉新興路55巷12號 (near Donghai)
禮拜二 到 六 15:00-22:00
only limited selection fo coffee, but all fair trade
This is the same place as Emerge (Lao Nuo’s) Live House[/quote]

This place still around? Anyone know the price of a bag of the black stuff?

I get my green beans from Stanley. He’s very friendly.

If you’re interested in Fair Trade beans, you could try Cafe Lulu, mentioned in the first post of this thread. Excellent coffee, but they roast lighter than Sweet Cafe. The owners of Sweet Cafe and Cafe Lulu are friends.

I think Scott (Retro, The Factory) has mostly Fair Trade beans as well, however I’ve been disappointed with his brewed coffee recently.

thanks, OP. Stanley’s place is so close to mine, its gonna be hard to motivate myself to cross town, but I will try! I do want to try lighter roasts.

Stanley has been roasting certain beans lighter than what he used to. He used to roast everything dark before. Ask him to brew you a cup of his lightest-roasted coffee (something other than Geisha, because that’s an exception in itself). Cafe Lulu is unique in this city–in my opinion, anyway: both their espresso and their brewed coffee is delicious. Stanley’s espresso is okay, and some of his brewed coffee is downright delicious. Scott’s espresso is okay, but his brewed coffee is slipping a little. Orsir’s lighter-roasted brewed coffee is very good, but their espresso is not very good. I haven’t tried Buggy’s brewed coffee, but their espresso is quite good for a dark roast. Unfortunately, they don’t put roasted-on dates on the bag, so you don’t know how old the coffee is you’re buying. Match cafe has good espresso, but I don’t think they do brewed coffee. Cama’s espresso is burnt-tasting in a cappuccino, but they don’t do brewed coffee in-store, so I’ve never tried it. 85C and Starbucks are…well, they are what they are.

Maybe I’ll run into you there sometime. I have a bit more free time during the summers.

Incidentally, Stanley is helping a young guy open a new cafe this fall very close to the Louis Vuitton near Sogo.

Thanks very much for the tips. I will try as you suggested.
I really would like to get some proper Fair Trade Coffee.
I’ve heard that Café Lulu is shut down and only roast batches of 5kg on request. Would be a shame if that were the only place to get fair-trade beans from. 5kgs is doable though, I suppose.

I get my green beans from Stanley. He’s very friendly.

If you’re interested in Fair Trade beans, you could try Cafe Lulu, mentioned in the first post of this thread. Excellent coffee, but they roast lighter than Sweet Cafe. The owners of Sweet Cafe and Cafe Lulu are friends.

I think Scott (Retro, The Factory) has mostly Fair Trade beans as well, however I’ve been disappointed with his brewed coffee recently.[/quote]

Sorry, I missed your review further up the page. :doh:

anybody here want to go Dutch on a 5kg bag of FAIR TRADE beans?

I know a guy who buys coffee beans directly from farmers in Africa: he goes to Africa to make the arrangements with the farmers directly (He provides them with seeds.). The coffee is good and not too expensive: 225g bag ranges between ~400 NT - 1k+. The beans are roasted in Taiwan. The shop is also a good place to sit around and read / study or whatever; a cup of coffee ranges between 80 NT and 200 NT. The owner of the shop speaks some English and is very nice: I usually chat with him while I’m there. I highly recommend the place: Here’s the info:

貨圓甲北平店 Huo Yuan Jia (Bei Ping Branch)
台中市北區青島東街52號 Taichung City, North District, Qing Dao Road, NUmber 52 (Google Maps: goo.gl/maps/2qKF ) (Street View images predate the shop but the location is correct.)
Phone (04)2292-6800

I can if they’re not yet roasted. :smiley:

I can try to be at Sweet Cafe a little after 4:00 this Wednesday afternoon if anyone’s interested in a meet-up.

[quote=“archylgp”]

I know a guy who buys coffee beans directly from farmers in Africa: he goes to Africa to make the arrangements with the farmers directly (He provides them with seeds.). The coffee is good and not too expensive: 225g bag ranges between ~400 NT - 1k+. The beans are roasted in Taiwan. The shop is also a good place to sit around and read / study or whatever; a cup of coffee ranges between 80 NT and 200 NT. The owner of the shop speaks some English and is very nice: I usually chat with him while I’m there. I highly recommend the place: Here’s the info:

貨圓甲北平店 Huo Yuan Jia (Bei Ping Branch)
台中市北區青島東街52號 Taichung City, North District, Qing Dao Road, NUmber 52 (Google Maps: goo.gl/maps/2qKF ) (Street View images predate the shop but the location is correct.)
Phone (04)2292-6800[/quote]
I may give this place a try next Wednesday afternoon if nothing else comes up in the meantime. Do you know if he sells green/unroasted coffee beans?

I can if they’re not yet roasted. :smiley:

I can try to be at Sweet Cafe a little after 4:00 this Wednesday afternoon if anyone’s interested in a meet-up.
[/quote]

You roast them at home or brew them unroasted??

I’d be up for a meet at Sweet Café but can’t make it this Wednesday (Radiohead!).

but buying in bulk might be the way to go…

I roast my own beans, but I can’t touch what Stanley or Cafe Lulu can do.

Okay, I can go to Huo Yuan Jia this Wednesday (weather permitting) and maybe try to meet up next Wednesday at Sweet Cafe. Have a good time at the concert.

Be careful buying bulk. Coffee is really only fresh for up to 10-14 days after it has been roasted. Anything past that is pushing it, unless it’s light-roasted.

[quote=“trubadour”]My fav at the mo is Sweet Café on Guoguang and Zhong Xing. Great (dark roasted) espresso beans. 2 big bags for 500NT or so. Closed Mondays and randomly. Open 3pm-late other times.

I’m a kinda coffee junkie and was looking for more info on Fair Trade coffee available by the bag in Taichung. I understand there is one up by Donghai Uni. Any other places? Costco?

[quote=“rice_t”]東海和平咖啡館 (Peace Cafe)
04-26317296
台中縣龍井鄉新興路55巷12號 (near Donghai)
禮拜二 到 六 15:00-22:00
only limited selection fo coffee, but all fair trade
This is the same place as Emerge (Lao Nuo’s) Live House[/quote]

This place still around? Anyone know the price of a bag of the black stuff?[/quote]

No, but the beans are still available on request, 5kg minimum. Well, you know that already, trubadour. I don’t know about unroasted beans, but I could imagine that would also be possible. I can try and find out if anybody is interested, but not before end of next week, as I am too busy at the moment to even post on Forumosa.