Good English-speaking hairdresser or barber in Taipei?

so the eddie guy costs 1000 NT?

That’s quite expensive for what i need…i was looking for the 4-500 NT range, since that’s how much my hair cut should be worth. 15 minutes, get in and get out. I can get that cut anywhere like supercuts or great cuts, or any of those generic stores in the US. In fact my friends in the states can cut my hair too, its that easy.

The ones in Taiwan just can’t seem to do it no matter where i go.

However, if eddie comes highly recommended then maybe i’ll try him, i am tired of gettin my hair butchered and I can afford it i suppose.

So you sure this guy is good, and he cuts short, SHORT hair? Others in taiwan have absolutely no experience in cutting short hair. I got cut on the ear twice in taiwan already, never before. And they also can’t seem to get things even, or do the fad, etc.

[quote=“aceman”]However, if eddie comes highly recommended then maybe I’ll try him, I am tired of gettin my hair butchered and I can afford it I suppose.

So you sure this guy is good, and he cuts short, SHORT hair? Others in Taiwan have absolutely no experience in cutting short hair. I got cut on the ear twice in Taiwan already, never before. And they also can’t seem to get things even, or do the fad, etc.[/quote]

Yep, he’s excellent. Here’s his number…0932-322-843…he’s beside Chungsiao Fuxing MRT, go in and have a chat sometime…tell him what you want. If it doesn’t turn out well, try one of those corner barbers for 100 NT$ :stuck_out_tongue:

Short hair? It’s been almost 2 months since my last cut and my hair still holds shape without trouble-and it’s typical fine western hair.

Very relaxing massages by the assistants, too…zzzzzzz

Certified, as Hobert put below? Eddie is fully trained and qualified in London, teaches classes for large groups of stylists around the Taiwan(sponsored by Revlon or some company), and leads a group to London every year for some hair show.

Aceman: Diane fine-salon.com/ cuts men’s hair for NT$700. Does an excellent job. She speaks English and is certified to cut hair, unlike a lot of others. She cuts men’s hair short. I know of three Caucasian men who’s hair she frequntly cuts short. (Monthly basis). She use to work at the American Club.

Diane is also my regular stylist and whether I ask for a close cut in summer or a little loose and wavy in winter she always does an excellent job. Plus she plays good music and there are no other customers in the studio while you get your hair cut.

I hear your pain there… I have lived here for almost 5 yrs, and no one has been able to get it right. When they see my hair … they freak… but in a very nice manner. They will say something like… “wow, your hair is really thick” or “wow, your hair is extremely curly”. It takes them at least an hour to do my hair.

Tori: I had the same problem. I went to many salons until, I found Diane.

I’m sorry… I think this is a really funny thread. :slight_smile:

Well, some of us need to get more than two haircuts every year :wink:

Come on Tigerman: some blokes really care about their DOO. Too many places here do a crappy job. I looked for years for a decent hairstylist and now I feel I should spread the word.

OK< it is funny thread. No Diane is better, no William is better, DIANE! WILLIAM! Maybe they should do a haircut competition, like the Japan cooking competition IRON CHEF.

I went to Diane today for a haircut and was thoroughly impressed with the service and cut that I received. She was very patient with my pickiness and the atmosphere at her salon was very relaxing. Diane’s English is excellent and she is very personable. She gave me the first satisfactory cut I’ve had since I’ve been in Taiwan. I thoroughly recommend her. At 700nt the price is just right as well.

Maria is great!!! And speaks English!!! Her number is 0931-092-417

I visited Diane this weekend and she is amazing! I am finally happy after 3 years in Taiwan and my hair being butchered by the razor wielding stylists here.

Diane didn’t touch her razor. Gave me great color, cut and spent a long time styling it nicely for me! (thanks Diane :slight_smile: )

I recommend her to anyone who wants to relax and have a great experience and a great cut too. She only works by appointment and you are the only client - she takes time to find out what you want!

…who has enough common sense to realise that when I’m screaming “STOPPPPP!” it’s not a good sign, and who knows even a teeeeny bit about curly hair, i.e. enough to know NOT to put permanent straightening cream anywhere near it, particularly in this humidity :noway: , and not to attempt to cut it all off without permission. I had a bad experience last night that has left me visibly scarred.
:help: :help: :help:

Try Diane, she has many satisifed customers, both Taiwanese and westerners. We lived in the US for a while so she speaks good English, and she also worked as hair dresser full time for over 4 years in Sweden (speaks good Swedish, too), so she knows western hair and hair styles. She also worked in Hong Kong for a short time.

She’s conveniently located in the middle of Taipei, just 3 minutes walk behind SOGO towards Civic Blvd. By MRT, get off at the Zhongxiao / Fuxing station on the blue line, taking the SOGO exit (4). There’s a (bad, I drew it) map on her web-site (see below), but basically you walk in the direction of Dunhua for about a hundred meters until you hit Da’an Rd. Turn left on Da’an towards Civic Blvd. Pass a 7-11 on your right hand side. The last lane on the same side as the 7-11 before you get to the Family Mart convenience store (which is on the opposite side of Da’an) is lane 31. Turn right into that lane and you’ll find Diane about a hundred meters down, on your right hand side just before the intersection.

Phone: 2778 4733
Address: Da’an Rd., Sec. 1, Ln. 31, No. 31, 2Fl.

She prefers time appointments to just dropping by, so give her a call. She’s open till 8 pm Wednesday through Sunday (Mondays and Tuesdays off).

Diane is great. She even use to work as a stylist at The American Club. I had the same bad experiences even after trying many of the more expensive salons in Taipei. Now I just go to Diane. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.

Also Linda Huang 02 8773 1026 #4, 5th Floor, Alley 6, Lane 170, Chung Hsiao East Road, Sec 4, Taipei.

I’ve known Linda and her husband for 11 years. Her husband is an American with a great sense of humour which has rubbed off on his wife.

Thank you, everyone, for this thread. I’ve been here six months, and I’m sadly in need of getting those dark roots lightened. I braved a salon close to my home for a haircut and was so appalled at the result (I speak Chinese, but I must have been misinformed that “yi dian dian” meant “just a little”) that I’ve been afraid to try for “tiao ruan.” Diane sounds perfect, and it’s worth it to me to spend a little more money to get the results I want. No use paying $370 for a cut and a wash if one needs a paper bag on one’s head for two months after :slight_smile:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Edit on 10/22: went to Diane today for highlighting and am very happy with her work, as well as with her personality and the atmosphere at her salon. I’m willing to pay comparable to US prices to get such quality work, and I’ll be going back to her for my haircuts and future color jobs.

Another thumbs up for M&M hair (corner of Zhongxiao Fuxing, up on a third floor but easy-ish to find).

I’m a western guy with fine, short blonde hair - getting most Taiwanese stylists to cut this properly is like trying to get a duck to speak Spanish. Previously I’ve gone to a salon near Gongguan where the staff are young, inexperienced and rude.

Anyway, M&M have a REALLY nice place and the service was better than any salon I’ve been to before, expensive western outfits included. Admittedly they were pretty dead at the time but I was still impressed.

Ed (?) wasn’t there but an obviously experienced woman (PARDON) cut my hair and did a damn fine job. Even the assistants are obviously well trained and give a great massage. Plus at least one of them has a great arse, in case you’re a guy who worries that going to fancy hair salons might turn you gay.

I paid NT$630 for a wash, cut and neck massage. Nice. I was paying 600 at aforementioned Salon du Crappe and I would easily have coughed up 1000+ for this kind of experience and service.

I too went to Diane based on recommendations posted here.

Happy with her work, but I was a little shocked at the price - NT$1,000, not $700. Perhaps you guys get a discount.

I too went to Diane based on recommendations posted here.

Happy with her work, but I was a little shocked at the price - NT$1,000, not $700. Perhaps you guys get a discount.[/quote]

She charges NT$700 for a cut and usually includes a free rinse. The full treatment shampoo adds an extra NT$300. I usually skip the shampoo unless I have a headache, stressed out or just need to relax for some reason. I guess she thought you knew when she asks if you need a shampoo, that it is not free. She is pretty cool, if you had protested that you didn’t know, she would have given you NT$300 back. She is not out to rip anyone off by tricking you to get a shampoo.