Good English-speaking hairdresser or barber in Taipei?

Ok cool. In Australia, a shampoo is always part of the deal.

further - the massage only lasted maybe 20 seconds

dont get me wrong - very happy with it and diance seems nice, just dont think the extra 300 is worth it

I believe she prices it that high to discourage people from asking for a hair wash. She doesnā€™t really like to wash hair so itā€™s a dis-incentive. If people really want a wash then they pay for it.

MuchaMan, I had the same exact thoughts on that one. Its almost as if you typed my message for me. Spooky.

I think itā€™s because I am paraphrasing a post of yours on this very subject years ago.

[quote=ā€œllaryā€]Another thumbs up for M&M hair (corner of Zhongxiao Fuxing, up on a third floor but easy-ish to find).

Iā€™m a western guy with fine, short blonde hair - getting most Taiwanese stylists to cut this properly is like trying to get a duck to speak Spanish. Previously Iā€™ve gone to a salon near Gongguan where the staff are young, inexperienced and rude.

Anyway, M&M have a REALLY nice place and the service was better than any salon Iā€™ve been to before, expensive western outfits included. Admittedly they were pretty dead at the time but I was still impressed.

Ed (?) wasnā€™t there but an obviously experienced woman (PARDON) cut my hair and did a damn fine job. Even the assistants are obviously well trained and give a great massage. Plus at least one of them has a great arse, in case youā€™re a guy who worries that going to fancy hair salons might turn you gay.

I paid NT$630 for a wash, cut and neck massage. Nice. I was paying 600 at aforementioned Salon du Crappe and I would easily have coughed up 1000+ for this kind of experience and service.[/quote]

Glad to hear this. They are excellent. Eddie was in England for two weeks leading a tour group for training at some Hair Fairā€¦but is back nowā€¦

All you other guys going to Diane should give Eddie a try. :sunglasses:

do they do color at M & M? what about dianne? have any of the women on this forum had color done by dianne before?

I went to her for color - turning my dull brown hair blonde. The best thing was being able to discuss it completely in English, because I wanted a certain kind of highlighting Second, sheā€™s used to working with Western hair, which is such a different texture than Asian hair. She has a wide range of color selections, and she said she could order what she didnā€™t have.

My wife had her hair colored at Dianeā€™s and at other places. She says that some of the other places are cheaper for coloring, but that it is never the stylist that colors your hair, just some assistent that doesnā€™t always do a good job. Diane takes care of it all from beginning to end.

OK, I went back to M&M yesterday for colouring and they now have a customer for life, even though Iā€™m going to be living at the other end of Taiwan.

They got my hair exactly how I wanted it and spent a lot of time going through magazines etc. to make sure we got it right. After the past few haircuts, I pretty much expected this.

Hereā€™s the killer though - I mentioned in passing that I hadnā€™t had any dinner yet and the stylist actually went downstairs and bought me a box of dumplings to eat (gratis) while the colour set.

It was expensive for Taiwan - NT$2000, and I have very short hair - but thatā€™s comparable to a cheap/midrange stylist in the UK. I think itā€™s worth it because I enjoy going and itā€™s not like I have any other vices. Plus Iā€™m not sitting there thinking, ā€˜oh godā€¦ how the hell is this going to turn out?ā€™ for two hours. Big big thumbs up.

My wife has a beauty salon in Taipei near Min Sheng East Road and Xin Sheng North Road. Her english isnā€™t that great, but sheā€™s really good at hair styles. You can find contact information and address at her web site: maggiehsia.com/ When calling ask for Maggie. PM me if you need directions or any further information.

Iā€™d appreciate hearing from those who have posted about these popular shops: Williamā€™s, Eddyā€™s, and Dianeā€™s. Could you tell me the prices for shampooing, cutting, coloring and perming? Looks like 700 is the rate for menā€™s cuts. Are prices posted or is there a proper time or manner for asking prices? Thanks.

NT$700? Yikes. :astonished:

Iā€™ve been going to the same guy for about 3 years and am very happy with him. He doesnā€™t speak much English, but he knows how to cut fine, western hair. He also has a stable of young girls with their butt cracks showing working for him, if thatā€™s important. But I just go there for the reliable haircuts. NT$400 for a manā€™s haircut. About 4 blocks behind the Formosa Plastic Bldg, half a block south of Minsheng E Rd.

Thanks for responding. Iā€™m hoping to hear from the women who have already posted. Iā€™d like to know what the rates are for cuts and coloring. I guess I donā€™t want to be too surprised. Iā€™m also not interested in the ā€˜extrasā€™ but cleanliness in the shop and equipment is important to me. Iā€™d prefer finding a ā€˜localā€™ reasonably priced shop if these English-speaking hairdressers are out of my price range.

Diane charged $2500 for the highlighting, no cut. I noticed she had her prices posted on the wall, but I didnā€™t pay too much attention to them. Her shop is ultra clean (maybe because she also lives there). Nicely decorated, a wide range of music to choose from while youā€™re having your hair done, and sheā€™ll probably give you some fruit, too.

Quite a few people have called Diane after finding her on this board and asked why she doesnā€™t reply to e-mails. We have had huge problems with our previous crappy host, but that has now finally been resolved by moving to another host.

In other words, Diane is now finally able to once again reply to e-mail inquiries.

Tom wants a skin-head hair cut. And he donā€™t speak da ligua Chinoise too well to asked for a grade 2 all over.
Where can I get this hair cut performed in TienMu?
Ta.

you gotta be kidding! pay that kind of premium when you could just make shaving motions and pinch your two fingers together 1/8 or inch apart? go to the oldest guy you can find, itā€™ll be aight

Yeah, I think they know ā€œ#2ā€.
Or go visit Truant, he can take care of you.

Docs and pants braces can be gotten, but I think youā€™re looking at the Internet for your MA-1, thoā€™ā€¦

Tom, seriously. Go to a pet shop and buy a dog trimmer for NT$800 or so. Itā€™s exactly the same product as they sell for humans in places like Sogo but for NT$3-4,000.
They come with a variety of guards 1-4. You canā€™t go wrong. Iā€™ve had mine for several years now and itā€™s still in good nick.
Remember that once you go small youā€™ll need to keep doing it every couple of weeks or so, so the thing will very quickly pay for itself. It takes only about 5 minutes max. to give yourself a quick once over.